·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Date: 08/02/2004
Time: 16:00 (GMT)
Venue: Sfax

Preview:

Coventry City team-mates Youssef Safri and Yazid Mansouri will battle for a midfield starting place as Morocco take on North African rivals Algeria.

Safri, who scored in the 1-1 draw with South Africa to ensure top spot in group D, will be hoping to hold on to his place at his club-mates' expense.

Whoever starts, Safri believes the confidence gained from winning Group D - the so-called group of death - can help Morocco reach the final on 14 February.

"We wanted to win the group in order to avoid a quarter-final clash with the defending champions Cameroon," said Safri.

"Algeria, with their huge numbers of fans following them, will be difficult but I think Cameroon would have been tougher."

"If we can top the group comprising teams like Nigeria and South Africa, I don't see why we can't go all the way," he added.

Hocine Achiou, whose goals at this tournament have earned him the nickname 'the Algerian Maradona', is guaranteed a starting place.

Achiou was only a substitute in Algeria's opening two games, but scored a wonder goal to beat Egypt and then hit a crucial goal in the defeat against Zimbabwe to ensure qualification for the quarter-finals.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/3465679.stm

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Starting Lineups:

Morocco: 1-Khalid Fouhami; 4-Abdeslam Ouaddou, 6-Noureddine Naybet (captain), 5-Talal El Karkouri; 2-Walid Regragui, 8-Abdelkrim Kaissi, 15-Youssef Safri, 16-Youssef Mokhtari, 13-Houcine Kharja; 7-Jaouad Zairi, 17-Marouane Chammakh

Algeria: 12-Lounes Gaouaoui; 4-Samir Beloufa, 5-Salim Aribi, 21-Antar Yahia; 6-Yazid Mansouri, 8-Naserdine Kraouche, 10-Djamel Belmadi (captain), 22-Hacine Achiou, 19-Mamar Mamouni; 11-Mansour Boutabout, 7-Abdelmalek Cherrad

·
Registered
319 Posts
It's over! 3-1 for Morocco!

Hadji and Zairi scored in extra time. When Hadji scored I thought the match was all over:D :D

Morocco should easily handle Mali, but Tunisia vs. Nigeria will be tough to call.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Congrats to Morocco, they proved that luck and rubbish displays and behaviours from fans and players dont always work..
Morocco should easily handle Mali, but Tunisia vs. Nigeria will be tough to call.
I wouldnt really agree with that, im pretty sure Mali will give Morocco a very hard time and it wont be easy.

Anywayz i hope that both TUnisia and Morocco reach the final to see a nice high tense Arab-North African Derby..

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Pretty nice game. I was hoping for Algeria to win, but Morocco deserved the victory. I was disgusted by the behaviour of the Algerian fans at the end. Unfortunately violence is also present at this ANC :(

btw, have you noticed the censorship of the Tunisian tv? When something bad happends like the Algerian fans, they do everything possible to make it known as though nothing is happening. The same happened when the Senegalese players where heavily protesting after the goal yesterday. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Prince-O said:
btw, have you noticed the censorship of the Tunisian tv? When something bad happends like the Algerian fans, they do everything possible to make it known as though nothing is happening. The same happened when the Senegalese players where heavily protesting after the goal yesterday. :rolleyes: [/B]

Yup.. World Cup 2010...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Congrats to Morocco. It would've been harsh on them not to score, having stamped their authority on the game, especially in the second half.

Appaled by the behaviour of the neanderthals, but surely the signs were there in the Egypt game (missiles thrown to the official tribune where some Egyptians fans were seated) that some of these so-called fans were intent on causing trouble regardless of the outcome of a game.
I am just thankful no one is hurt, as I read somewhere that some of these thugs were armed with knives and hatchets. Un-flipping believable!!
:( :yuck:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Good football was the winner in Sfax today. Algeria came so close once again to devying justice in the beautiful game. In fact, before Chammakh's equilizer I was thinking of how unfair the world can be to some at times. I admire this Morrocan squad a lot :proud: They've got grit. Naybet and Safiri provide leadership while Zairi, "lil" Hadji and Chammakh provide youthful exuberance and the goals. Hadji and Zairi's extra-time strikes didn't just make Morocco semi-finalist but served justice to the beautiful game!! :proud: I love this game!!! :star:

A word of caution. The Algerian fans were shameful. What bad losers!! And for me, they showed a total lack of respect to their hardworking players who deserved much more. I thought I heard Algeria was interested in hosting the ACN in 2008 or 2010? With this kind of behaviour I doubt CAF would risk giving them the tournament.

Oh yeah and before I sign off.........."Lil" Youssef Hadji's goal celebration leads my list of goal celebrations in ACN 2004..... :howler: It's ahead of Osaze's second goal celebration against South Africa because of originality. :)

Man, I can't wait for Spring so I can outdoor these goal celebrations in intramural competition..........:lick:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Algeria had a good game to be honest. They were by miles better than themselves at the 1st round if they qualified nobody would say a word.

Morroco are my favourits, great performances so far.

About the fans thing, this is normal in football but we seem to forget so fast about other incidents.

·
Registered
57,627 Posts
Not only "good" football won at the end, Valdano. But Football itself won. What the Algerians do aint football my friend. It's not even close. Let Collina or some Spanish referee officiate a game for Algeria and no less than 3 red cards would be handed out in each and every single game !

After the theft against us, Morocco were SO damn close to be robbed too ! But Chamakh had "other" ideas. The kid is a Moroccan hero now for sure ;) But where was the man-marking ? Marwane Chamakh was unlucky not to score right after Algeria's goal as his effort hit the post.

The first half was pretty intense, physical and cautious. Tons of fouls and the game flow was simply non-existent. Scrappy first half. Talal Al-Karkouri was VERY Lucky to escape a red card as he deliberately kicked an Algerian player in the balls. :yuck: A Goal wasn't given for Morocco (would have been goal of the tournament without a single doubt) as there was a minimal foul by Youssef Moukhtari while Zairi was preparing his acrobatic kick. There was also a good free kick from Karkouri that went just wide of the crossbar.

The second half was by far better. Morocco took more control of the game. Algeria had a dangerous chance but Antar Yehia, unmarked at the far post, didn't manage to get his header on goal. The freekick from Djamel Belmadi (The only player I like in Algeria, really talented. :star: ) was pin-point. Morocco had their chances, especially the ball that fell to Al-Karkouri but he weirdly missed the target completely, with the goal at his mercy. Youssef Al-Moukhtary had a chance too but the goalie saved it.

Algeria scored :eek: a fluke goal when Morocco were totally dominating the game. But Cherrad has to get credit for his positioning and his timing. The same man could have doubled Algeria's lead by Fouhami saved with his left hand. Badou Al-Zaki's substitutions had their impact. Moha Al-Yaqouby was great when he came on. Hadji should have come on earlier though. Morocco switched to 4-4-2 in the dying moments of the game and the 30 minutes of extra time.

Great solo effort from Hadji :star: :strong: :lick: to win the game for the Atlas Lions. IMO, Hadji shouldn't be benched. If I was Zaki, I'd start him with Chamakh upfront, with Zairi playing free, but moving on the right as to support Walid Al-Regragui, who had a poor match last night in Sfax (his worst game by far). The other full-back, Hussein Kharja, had a medicore game too and was rightfully substituted.

Finally, Algeria's luck has run out. :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Congratulations Morocco on this gr8 win, all egyptians supported them.Thx for fking the usual hore of Africa (ALGERIA).It would have been depressing to see those sissies win.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I think the final is going to be Nigeria-Morocco, Nigeria is on cloud nine at the moment and so is Morocco, i don't think Tunisia will make it, i think both semi-finals are going to be great man, but Mali were just so freaking lucky... Guinea played so well only for the stupid keeper..

·
Registered
188 Posts
It won't be a stroll in the park for them against Mali. They are favourites, but I have a hunch Mali will stage an upset and make it into the final.

·
Registered
188 Posts
manufan said:
Congratulations Morocco on this gr8 win, all egyptians supported them.Thx for fking the usual hore of Africa (ALGERIA).It would have been depressing to see those sissies win.
sissy: a boy who lacks the qualities thought to be typical of boys, eg courage and a sense of adventure.

Seems to me it applies to a certain team and their cry baby fans. :rolleyes:

Never mind, eh? We'll always be there at club and national level to mummify you for your usual burial.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Don't forget 1989,
Egypt-Algeria 1-0
WC qualifying round.
When we sang Ra7 Ra7 Ra7 Kos Omak Ya Raba7.:cool:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts