·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Date: 02/02/2004
Time: 13:00 (GMT)
Venue: Tunis

Preview:

Senegal will be hoping to join Mali in the Cup of Nations quarter finals on Monday when the two meet in their last group match.

The game will bring together two of the English Premiership's biggest African names, in Tottenham's Frederic Kanoute and Liverpool's El Hadji Diouf.

But while newly-acquired Kanoute has been in rich goal scoring form for Mali his Senegalese counterpart is in the middle of a goal drought.

Kanoute, a former French international, has scored three goals in two matches for his newly-adopted country.

Diouf, the defending African Player of the Year, has failed to find the net for club or country in 27 matches.

But the Liverpool winger is not concerned with such statistics.

"I am playing well, the team is winning and that's more important," said Diouf.

"I could score goals, but if the team loses then it wouldn't matter."

Diouf can rely on his strike partner Mamadou Niang for goals, he scored two against Kenya.

And if Wolverhampton's Henri Camara can also find his goal-scoring boots again, Senegal will be hard to beat.

There are no such problems for Mali's Kanoute. His goals have already helped Mali to the last eight while Senegal need a draw to be sure of qualifying.

But Kanoute says statistics will not matter when the two West African rivals meet at the El Mensah on Monday.

"The Senegal game is very important because it's a bit personal between them and us," Kanoute said.

The Tottenham star will be pleased then he has some powerful support for the match.

Valencia's Lamine Sissoko, Lyon midfielder Mahamadou Diarra, and Freiburg's Soumaila Coulibaly are all expected to start.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/3449221.stm

My Prediction: Mali 1 Senegal 1

·
Registered
57,659 Posts
Should be one hell of a game !! Can't wait for it.

I'm rooting for Mali.

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starting Lineups:

Senegal: 1-Tony Sylva, 3-Ibrahima Faye, 4-Pape Malick Diop, 7-Henri Camara, 8-Sylvain Ndiaye, 11-El Hadji Diouf, 13-Lamine Diatta, 15-Salif Diao, 18-Mamadou Niang, 19-Pape Bouba Diop, 21-Habib Beye

Mali: 1-Mahamadou Sidibe; 2-Souleymane Diamoutene, 3-Fousseiny Diawara, 4-Adama Coulibaly, 17-Sammy Traore, 6-Mahamadou Diarra, 12-Seydou Keita, 14-David Coulibaly, 18-Mohamed Lamine Sissoko, 15-Abdoulaye Demba, 20-Dramane Traore

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
45th minute: Senegal equalizes, free-kick played into the penalty area headed home by Habib Beye.

Mali 1 Senegal 1

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HT: Mali 1 Senegal 1

Boring start to the match, got better towards the end of the 1st half. Mali had a shot that was cleared off line by Lamine Diatta. Mali's keeper Sidibe had a nice double save from Mamadou Niang and Diouf's attempts on goal.

Numbers on Senegal's shirts are falling off :D First it was Diao and then Diouf, so they both had to replace their shirts.

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FT: Mali 1 Senegal 1

Both teams through to the quarters. Senegal should have play more in a more attacking style since they knew Kenya had a big lead over Burkina Faso, so they had nothing to lose really and I don't think they prefer to play Tunisia over Guinea in the next round. Diouf came close to scoring, his shot struck the crossbar.

Tunisia vs Senegal and Mali vs Guinea in the QFs :cool:

·
Registered
319 Posts
I was also surprised by the lack of intensity in the Senegalese attack during the last quarter of the match. But then, Senegal and Mali are eternal rivals. This was the Derby of West Africa. It seems that the Senegalese preferred to take their chances with Tunisia rather than suffer a humiliating defeat by their fierce rivals.

I read somewhere that Mali and Senegal used to be one nation. I believe it was called Sudanese federation or something like that. It's breakup in the sixties left this footballing rivalry. I guess someone from the region can explain it better than me.

·
Registered
57,659 Posts
A Disappointing match. Very slow tempo and very boring :yawn:

Mali reached their objective even without Ismail Coulibaly and Frederic Kanoute. Draman Traore (Ismaily/Egypt) had a good match and troubled Both Diatta and Diop.

Still I insist that Mali's defence is fragile. They were lucky on 3 occasions. Sidibe saving from Diouf's shot in the 1st half and denying Mamadou Niang in the second half. Also Diouf was unlucky not to score as he hit the post with his left footed shot.

IMO Senegal will beat Tunisia. Both sides didn't impress in the first round so I don't know why everyone is predicting that Tunisia would win it. 1st of all I Can't see the slow Tunisian defence stop Camara, Diouf and Niang. Aliou Cisse will be back for this game and he'll provide security. I Think he'll keep an eye on Slim Ben Achour. Salif Diao should up his game or else Senegal are screwed. Same goes for Pape Bouba Diop. Did any of you guys see him today ?! He was non-existent. Invisible. A Ghost of the player we all admired in the World Cup. You know what ? Senegal REALLY miss Khalilou Fadiga. They don't have an attacking leftie in the side. Fadiga provides Senegal with width and creativity. They can stretch opponents defence with Fadiga on the left and Camara on the right, with Diouf doing the central/deep damage. Now It's different.

Crappy game. If you missed it, You didn't miss a thing.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yes, Diouf was unlucky again...

Fadiga could return to the NT in some months, he seems to have solved his heart problems now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts