·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Date: 07/02/2004
Time: 13:00 (GMT)
Venue: El Menza

Preview:

Former West Ham team-mates Frederic Kanoute and Titi Camara face each other for a place in the semi-finals of the African Cup of Nations.

Kanoute, who recently opted to represent Mali rather than pursue a possible international future with France, has scored three times in just two appearances at this year's tournament.

Camara, his former Upton Park team-mate, netted the crucial late goal that secured Guinea a place in the last eight.

The two are key to their own nation's hopes of reaching the semi-finals.

But Camara will be particularly keen to impress after struggling to prove himself during his time at West Ham.

He spent most of his time at Upton Park either on the substitutes bench or in the treatment room before securing a move to Liverpool, while Kanoute thrived before joining Tottenham.

"I think Harry Redknapp (West Ham manager at the time) expected a lot of me, but I signed for three years and I wanted to do everything to show the public that I was a good choice," said Camara.

Kanoute was rested by Mali coach Henri Stambouli for the final Group C game against Cameroon and will be fresh and hoping to add to his three-goal haul.

Guinea are appearing in the knockout stages for the first time in 28 years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/3465607.stm

My Prediction: Mali 2 Guinea 0

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Mali will squeeze through I think. It will be a close match between two equal teams, with Mali just having the upperhand I predict.

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starting Lineups:

Mali: 1-Mahamadou Sidibe, 2-Souleymane Diamoutene, 3-Fousseiny Diawara, 4-Adama Coulibaly, 17-Sammy Traore, 6-Mahamadou Diarra (captain), 8-Bassala Toure, 10-Soumaila Coulibaly, 11-Djibril Sidibe, 19-Frederic Kanoute, 20-Dramane Toure

Guinea: 16-Kemoko Camara; 5-Bobo Balde, 6-Schumann Bah, 8-Kanfory Sylla, 11-Souleymane Youla, 2-Pascal Feindouno, 3-Abdoul Salam Sow, 7-Fode Mansare, 14-Ousmane Ngom Camara, 10-Aboubacar Titi Camara, 17-Soumah Morlaye (captain).

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
There is no Eurosport coverage of this game right? :groan:

Also, does anybody know what game Eurosport will show tomorrow? I read somewhere Morocco - Algeria, but I would find that a ridiculous decision if they don't show Nigeria - Cameroon, since that are the two most popular nations of Africa facing each other. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Ah, it is on TV5. I have that as well :cool:

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FT: Mali 2 Guinea 1

Wow, a mach full of chances to score. Guinea were by far the most dangerous team in the last 15 minutes. Their keeper costed them big time, what a time to concede a goal in that way!

Mali through to the semis and will face either Morocco or Algeria.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I was impressed by Guinea in the 2nd half. They played much better and deserved to qualify. Titi Camara was very unlucky. It's sad the way they conceded that silly goal in injury time.

As for Mali, if they play like this in the Semis, they will be easily eliminated.

·
Registered
548 Posts
What a crappy goal to concede. This goal will surely haunt Kemoko Camara for years to come. Actually he made a host of brilliant saves throughout the game. But that blunder surely erased all his previously done good work!

Congrats to Mali. These dudes seem to like to play in Tunisial. 10 years ago in the ANC Tunisia 94 they made the Semis as well. Let see if they can go a step better in the Semis against either Algeria or Morocco.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Fredi's in the semis

By Danny Griffiths
Date: 8/2/2004

FREDI KANOUTE helped send Mali into the semi-finals of the African nations Cup by scoring in their 2-1 victory against Guinea. The...

Your Location: Home > Latest News

Fredi's in the semis
By Danny Griffiths for THEspursweb.com

FREDI KANOUTE helped send Mali into the semi-finals of the African nations Cup by scoring in their 2-1 victory against Guinea.

The joint-leading scorer in the competition hit the equaliser before captain Mahamadou Diarra bagged a last-gasp winner.

Mali, who topped their group earlier in the competition, now face either Algeria or Morocco for a place in the final.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts