International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
vs

Date: 26/01/2004
Time: 13:00 (GMT Time)
Stadium: October 15

Preview:

Kenya, who have never won a match at three previous visits to the Cup of Nations, will turn to upsets at the 2002 World Cup to inspire them against Mali.

Kenya's charismatic coach Jacob 'Ghost' Mulee told BBC Sport that the strong showing of teams like South Korea, Turkey and Senegal in the 2002 finals are a great example to his players.

"I'm sure that the teams considered as smaller nations like us will do wonders at this tournament just as the smaller footballing nations did at the last World Cup," he said.

Kenya have not been to the finals for 12 years and Mulee is well aware of his sides poor record.

"Mali are used to this tournament but I am working hard for us to get a win at our fourth finals."

Mali go into the game as the favourites with coach Henri Stambouli confirming to BBC Sport that he will be calling on his new strike force of Freddi Kanoute and Lamine Sissoko to unlock the Kenyan defence.

The coach also confirmed that Mali's loan survivor from Tunisia 1994 will start.

Bassala Toure is still only 28-years-old and will be used along with Seydou Keita on the flanks to supply the ammunition for Kanoute and Sissoko.

Keita is the best example of Mali's strategy of building a strong team over time.

Five years ago he was named player of the tournament as the country's under-20 side came third at the World Championships at that level.

The backbone of that side will feature against Kenya and Keita knows that he is part of a highly respected side.

"We are favourites but it will be tough against Kenya," he told BBC Sport.

While Stambouli has named his attack he would not reveal his defence nor his formation.

Kenya are also holding off naming their team until Monday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/3428285.stm

My Prediction: Kenya 1 Mali 3

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Starting Lineups:

Kenya: 1-Francis Onyiso; 2-Japtheth Waweru, 3-Issa Kassim, 4-Musa Otieno, 5-Tom Juma; 7-Titus Mulama, 8-Adam Shaban, 10-John Muiruri, 17-Robert Mambo; 9-Mike Okoth, 18-Dennis Oliech

Mali: 1-Mahamadou Sidibe; 2-Souleymane Diamoutene, 3-Fousseiny Diawara, 4-Adama Coulibaly, 5-Brahim Thiam, 17-Sammy Traore; 6-Mahamadou Diarra, 10-Soumaila Coulibaly, 12-Seydou Keita, 18-Mohamed Lamine Sissoko; 19-Frederic Kanoute

·
Registered
58,949 Posts
Jose luis pirri said:
62nd minute: Mali back in the lead! Kanoute scores his 1st ever goal for Mali.

Kenya 1 Mali 2
:cool:

I saw the first 20 minutes during lunch and he already was impressing, imposing himself. Great player to watch when on form. Hope it continues for Spurs too.

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FT: Kenya 1 Mali 3

Mali were the better team and they deserved the win. Kenya had their fair share of chances in the 2nd half, but they only managed to score once.

I can see Mali getting into the final four again.

·
totally innocent
2,227 Posts
Saw most of the second half. Mali looked good all round. Coolibali played well in midfield, and Kanoute has given them a cutting edge. They looked really comfortable once they added an extra player into midfield. Deserved win.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Not Bad...I guess...

Didn't watch the match but followed it online on Eurosport...this is our first qualification in 10 years & from what I could gather 3-1 was a bit harsh as a reflection of what took place...

Hope we can get something against Senegal & Bukina Faso...we have a young squad & Oliech seems to be coming along...

Harmbee Stars Tosha:) :)

·
Administrator
52,112 Posts
Kenya didnt embarass themself like a minnow is expected to do. and they were very good and played more professional then Rwanda. Olliech was amazing. was a bit suprised how well kenya fought. though Mali can do much better then this.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Osman said:
Kenya didnt embarass themself like a minnow is expected to do. and they were very good and played more professional then Rwanda. Olliech was amazing. was a bit suprised how well kenya fought. though Mali can do much better then this.
Good to know we just didn't come to make up the numbers;) ;)

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised by both teams actually. Kenia was good enough to compete with Mali for most of the game, which was nice for the neutral spectator. Mali on the other hand proved to be a very good side and in my eyes an outsider for the title :eek: Kanouté very influential for the side but also Sissoko and Keita. Good side on a whole. :cool:

Tomorrow: The Super Eagles :proud: :hopefull:

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
It was a good game but two really embarassing mistakes in the Kenya defence decided it. And the Kenians(sp?) missed too much chances to hope for something better than a draw.

·
Registered
40,564 Posts
Just saw the highlights on BBC, Kenya looked pretty decent and were in it for most of the game. Oliech seems to be a top prospect indeed, great technical skills but his finishing needs to improve somewhat.

IMO Kanoute man of the match and I'm looking forward to Mali-Senegal.

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
Yeah I agree it was a good game to watch, but both defences were amateurish to say the least. You all mentioned the 2 goals that Mali scored from school boy errors by the Kenyan defence. The Malians defensive display was even WORSE IMO. Why ? Because every time Dennis Oliech had the ball at his feet, he looked like Thierry Henry ! I couldn't remember any interception made by any of the defensive duo of Mali [Brahim Thiam and Adama Coulibaly]. Mali's defence is their weakest link and this will be clear aganist Senegal and Burkina Faso, both have better strikers than Kenya.

As for their midfield. Hell this Mamadou Diarra fella is simply great. A great passer of the ball and a great leader. I saw him before at Vitesse and Lyon, and he can even develop to be a better player.

I guess Mali deploy a 4-1-3-2 system..am I right ? with a 4 backline. On the right Diamoutene, on the left Diawara. 2 CBs A.Coulibaly and Thiam. Diarra sits infront of the defence in his deep midfield role. three players, on the left Ismail Coulibaly, on the right Sammy Traore and Seydou Keita plays central. Sissoko and Kanoute as strikers. Isn't that way too offensive ? Against Senegal this system can't be used. Maybe Sammy Traore won't play and Stambouli will use another midfielder to partner Diarra, maybe Djibril Sidibe/Bassala Toure will be used.

As for Kenya, they are in Tunisia to learn. Just like Rwanda and Zimbabwe. So it's no shame to lose to more experienced sides in Africa. But they were SO close to making it 2-2, but Emmanuel Ake's shot was saved. In the same minute Kanoute sealed off the game.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts