·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Date: 08/02/2004
Time: 13:00 (GMT)
Venue: Monastir

Preview:

Cameron coach Winfried Schaefer will keep faith with his strike partnership of Patrick Mboma and Samuel Eto'o for Sunday's quarter-final against Nigeria.

Mboma has scored three goals at this tournament, but strike partner Eto'o has yet to find the net.

But Schaefer insists he will not panic in the most eagerly-anticipated of this weekend's knockout matches.

"The players have been very relaxed in training but Nigeria against Cameroon is always a big match," Schaefer said.

"It's important for us to play quickly. We must play with one or two touches and dictate the pace."

Cameroon are bidding to become the first side to win three successive African cups and the first to win the title five times.

Nigeria will field none of the three exiled players who were this week invited to return to the squad.

Portsmouth striker Yakubu Ayegbeni and Schalke's Victor Agali are both staying with their clubs, while Chelsea's Celestine Babayaro will not return because of a hamstring injury.

The Super Eagles are also sweating on the fitness of Julius Aghahowa, who missed training on Friday with a thigh strain.

Aghahowa will face a late fitness test on the thigh he injured in the Super Eagles' final Group D game with Benin.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/3465675.stm

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Starting Lineups:

Cameroon: 1-Idriss Carlos Kameni; 2-Jean-Joel Perrier Doumbe, 3-Bill Tchato, 4-Rigobert Song, 13-Lucien Mettomo; 5-Timothee Atouba, 7-Modeste Mbami, 8-Geremi Fotso Njitap, 19-Eric Djemba Djemba; 9-Samuel Eto'o, 10-Patrick Mboma

Nigeria: 1-Vincent Enyeama; 2-Joseph Yobo, 5-Isaac Okoronkwo, 15-George Abbey, 16-Ifeanyi Udeze; 4-Nwankwo Kanu, 10-Jay-Jay Okocha, 11-Garba Lawal, 14-Seyi Olofinjana; 7-John Utaka, 20-Peter Odemwingie

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
WHOOHOO!!!! :happy: :excited:

We did it!!! Absolutely rock solid performance by the Super Eagles! Okocha was leading the team as you would expect from a real captain! Solid defending and goalkeeping! Credits to Enyeama for some fine saves, also Yobo and the other defenders were outstanding! Where was M'Boma?! Did you see him? :D And Odemwingie! What a great player he is :eek:

Now it is time to kick some Tunisian :ass:

Be Prepared!:fero:

Make way for the new champions! :stuckup:

:excited:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
:depress:

I kept my fingers crossed for Cameroon but it didn't work... It was a good game to watch and I believe a draw would be an only fair result. After all, the Indomitable Lions had at least three chances to equalize. One team must have won though. Cameroonian defenders made too many mistakes. And the co-operation of M'Bami and Djemba-Djemba in the middle was far from perfect either.

Anyway, good luck to Nigeria. Okocha can lead this team to the ultimate success :)

I hope for a clash between Nigeria and Mali in the final :cool:

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Great :cool: I so wanted Nigeria to win this. Cameroon have been so overrated for a while. Since WC 2002 terrible performances, i have not been impressed by them, and they were average in the first round.

Now i really am well ok with anyone winning the trophy :cool:

·
Registered
548 Posts
UP EAGLES!! A deserved win for Nigeria in my opinion despite Cameroun having majority of the possession and creating a lot of chances at the end. Nigeria stood firm and looked dangerous throughout the game. I like Osaze. He's got a bright future ahead of him. Kudos to Kanu for that fantastic pass that lead to Utaka's winner. Okocha is one heck of a player, what a superb free-kick goal he scored. Cameroun finally came undone in the ACN. This was their first defeat in the competition since Ghana/Nigeria 2000 when they were shocked by Togo in an group match.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts