International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
vs

Date: 25/01/2004
Time: 18:00 (GMT Time)
Stadium: Olympique

Preview:

Defending champions Cameroon face a tricky start to their Group C campaign against Algeria.

Coach Winifred Schaefer is confident his side can go all the way for a third successive occasion.

"We have a wide range of players to pick from," he said.

"We had a good preparation campaign. We can't talk about defeat."

The Indomitable Lions are likely to be without the services of striker Samuel Eto'o who is still recovering from an ankle injury.

Veteran Patrick Mboma is waiting to step into his shoes.

Goalkeeper Carlos Idriss Kameni has replaced Boukar Alioum as Cameroon's number one and is likely to start.

Algeria, who won the tournament in 1990, will be look to make amends for their first-round exit in Mali 2002, by getting off to good start in Group C.

Coach Rabah Saadane has a number of professionals in his squad who ply their trade in the French leagues.

Nantes midfielder Fodil Hadjadj, experienced Troyes frontman Nassim Akrour and uncapped left-sided defender Yahia Antar of Bastia are just three and all are certain to feature prominently in the opening game.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/3426451.stm

My prediction: Cameroon 2 Algeria 1

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Starting Lineups:

Cameroon: 1-Idriss Carlos Kameni; 2-Jean-Joel Perrier Doumbe, 13-Lucien Mettomo, 4-Rigobert Song, 3-Bill Tchato; 8-Geremi Fotso Njitap, 7-Modeste Mbami, 19-Eric Djemba Djemba, 18-Mohamadou Idrissou; 9-Samuel Eto'o, 10-Patrick Mboma

Algeria: 12-Lounes Gaouaoui; 4-Samir Beloufa, 5-Salim Aribi, 15-Karim Ziani, 21-Antar Yahia; 6-Yazid Mansouri, 8-Naserdine Kraouche, 10-Djamel Belmadi, 19-Mamar Mamouni; 7-Abdelmalek Cherrad, 11-Mansour Boutabout

Referee: Codja Coffi (Benin)

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It finished 1-1.

Good result obviously for Algeria. Cameroon need to have better finishing that what they showed today. Eto'o had no trouble going past the Algerian defenders but his finishing was simply poor!

·
Registered
57,649 Posts
Is it me or did Cameroon take Algeria lightly ? Hell, they were playing as If they were Brazil or France !! So fukn arrogant. Samuel Eto'o should work on his finishing realy, he wasted 2 very easy chances. He's so damn skillful but his finishing is disapointing, well at least it was tonight in Sousse. What a header by Mboma ! :dazed:

Credit to Algeria, they played with passion and determination. Against Egypt it will be a different game. Both sides will look for a win so it'll be more open than tonight's match in Sousse.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I didn't see the game, but reading commentaries from the Algerian press, it seems as though we played a decent game.

I am not holding my breath though. The 22 select, missing some good players from our national league, and more notably with the inclusion of very average players from lower-divisions in France, will most probably get found out against Egypt. Add to that an idiot of a coach who built his "bygone" reputation on the back of other people's achievements, and you have the perfect recipe for a 5-0 drubbing by Hossam and co.

I am not getting my excuses ready :howler: , but I think Egypt and Cameroon are strong contenders and clear favourites in this group.

@ Nerazzuri: I agree with your comments about the apparent arrogance of some of the Cameroon players. Saw a preview on the Beeb (BBC3) of the game, and some of the players interviewed showed a total disregard to their opponents on the day. I am not pinning the blame on the players, but rather on the very common lack of discipline and sheer professionalism that characterises African football.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts