·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Date: 27/01/2004
Time: 17:00 (GMT Time)
Stadium: Sfax

Preview:

South Africa will be hoping to put off-the-field squabbles behind them as they open their Group D campaign against minnows Benin.

The team has had its build-up to the Cup of Nations wrecked by a wage row and a late change in coach.

With many of their top players opting to put club before country they will rely on 38-year-old John Moshoeu.

Benin do not have a wealth of stars so their hopes will rest with talented Guingamp striker Oumar Tchomogo.

The Benin coach Cecil Jones Attuquayefio understands the enormity of his side's task.

"If you look at our group we are the underdogs but I believe there is room for surprises," he said.

"It would be naive for me to say we're going to beat Nigeria, Morocco or South Africa, but I believe we will leave a mark by the end of the Cup of Nations."

Now could be as good a time as any to spring a surprise on South Africa's Bafana Bafana.

Morale has never been quite so low since the sacking of coach 'Shakes' Mashaba only a week before the tournament.

The team has also just settled a wage dispute with their management.

"This incentive has boosted our morale knowing now that we will be compensated for our sacrifice," said Belgium-based defender Aaron Mokoena.

But new coach 'Styles' Phumo has also had to contend with injuries to key striker Siyabonga Nomvete and gifted midfielder Steven Pienaar.

Defender Mark Fish, midfielder Quinton Fortune and striker Benni McCarthy all opted to stay with their clubs and miss the Cup of Nations altogether.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/3431557.stm

My Prediction: Benin 0 South Africa 2

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Starting Lineups:

Benin: 1-Rachad Chitou; 5-Damien Chrysostome, 8-Tony Toklomety, 15-Anicet Adjamonsi, 18-Seidath Tchomogo, 2-Moussa Latoundji, 6-Jonas Oketola, 7-Roumauld Bocco, 19-Jocelyn Ahoueya, 11-Muri Ogunbiyi, 14-Alain Gaspoz

South Africa: 16-Emile Baron; 2-Thabang Molefe, 3-Jacob Lekgetho, 4-Aaron Mokoena, 7-Mbulelo Mabizela, 13-Benson Mhlongo, 19-John Moshoeu, 18-Delron Buckley, 15-Sibusiso Zuma, 14-Siyabonga Nomvete, 21-Patrick Mayo

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Halftime: Benin 0 South Africa 0

Poor Nomvete. First he struck the bar from close range and then he shoots a horrible penalty (very bad call from the referee, defender played the ball)

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Exciting match! One of the best so far. Benin is really playing very good! SA a bit dissapointing though and they should not have got a penalty.

I hope for a Benin win. Especially Adjamossi and Latoundji are outstanding in the first half :cool:

·
Registered
561 Posts
That would be nice, but then Serie A defences aren't on quite the same level as Benin. I can't see them being caught out by a simple flicked header pass over defence...

Still, 3 goals in 2 games for Siya, so...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :D

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
Rino said:
That would be nice, but then Serie A defences aren't on quite the same level as Benin. I can't see them being caught out by a simple flicked header pass over defence...

Still, 3 goals in 2 games for Siya, so...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :D
infact Siya never do nothing good for us:rolleyes: :D like Jancker:D ....but we still have trust in Siya,he's young he can improve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts