·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Date: 03/02/2004
Time: 13:00 (GMT)
Venue: Sousse

Preview:

Algeria will be hoping to secure the draw they need in order to qualify for the quarter-finals of the African Cup of Nations.

The north African side face a Zimbabwe team who have yet to record a point and have conceded seven goals.

Algeria will be delighted with the position they find themselves in having beaten a rampant Egypt after going down to 10 men.

"We were very lucky in that match. Egypt were the better team but the determination of our players saw us through," said Algeria coach Rabah Saadane.

Saadane will be without midfielder Mamar Mamouni who is suspended after being sent-off against Egypt.

But the team will have Achiou Hocine, who scored their wonder-goal from the half-way line in the same match.

Zimbabwe's hopes of reaching the last eight faded when they lost 5-3 to Cameroon.

But despite the early exit, captain Peter Ndlovu believes the tournament debutants will come back a stronger side.

"The Zimbabwe team will return to the finals and will win more matches," said the 32-year-old skipper.

"We played well against Cameroon and we knew it would be a tough match. We conceded five goals because the defence wasn't organised.

"Nevertheless, I am happy for the way my teammates played because it was great experience at this very high level."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/3451603.stm

My Prediction: Algeria 1 Zimbabwe 0

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Starting Lineups:

Algeria: 12-Lounes Gaouaoui; 3-Moulay Haddou, 13-Brahim Zafour, 5-Salim Aribi, 17-Samir Zaoui; 15-Karim Ziani, 8-Naserdine Kraouche, 20-Fodil Hadjadj, 22-Hocine Achiou: 9-Nassim Akrour, 14-Fares Fellahi

Zimbabwe: 16-Tapuwa Kapini; 2-Dumisani Mpofu, 4-Bhekithemba Ndlovu, 6-Kaitano Tembo, 22-Dixon Choto; 15-Ronald Sibanda, 17-Harlington Shereni, 20-Tinashe Nengomasha, 21-Joel Luphahla; 12-Peter Ndlovu, 13-Adam Ndlovu

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
20th minute: From the corner, Adam Ndlovu finally finds the target as his downward header bounces in off a post from Joel Luphahla's corner. The goal is no more than Zimbabwe deserve.

Algeria 0 Zimbabwe 1

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Algeria 0-2 Zimbabwe
Joel Lapathla breaks clear from an Algeria attack and Zimbabwe have three-against-one on the counter-attack. But Lapathla does not need anyone else and beats Haddou Moulay from eight yards.

Algeria 1-2 Zimbabwe
Achiou, the hero against Egypt, gives Algeria hope as he heads home a quick response to Zimbabwe's second goal. At 2-0, Algeria could have been out of the tournament and some of their fans were already heading home, but this goal changes to look of the game again.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Zimbabwe deserved the win, and there's no way this bunch of second-rate amateurs deserve the qualification at the expense of either Zimbabwe or, ahem, Egypt.

·
Registered
57,675 Posts
BerberPride said:
Zimbabwe deserved the win, and there's no way this bunch of second-rate amateurs deserve the qualification at the expense of either Zimbabwe or, ahem, Egypt.
Well thanks for the honesty and Congrats.

I said it anyway :

Nerazzuri4life said:
I didn't say that Egypt were convincing, but at least we deserved to beat this crappy side at least 3-1 if not more. They are by far weaker than Zimbabwe. Wait for Zimbabwe V Algeria and you'll see what I mean.
Good luck against Morocco/Nigeria. Although I seriously doubt seeing Algeria pass any of the two sides. Well if Luck continues, you maybe even win the Cup. :dazed:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Don't worry Valdano, Saadane's been spotted in an Algiers dark alley, trying his hands on some gri-gri, amulet, a bit of talisman and some mojo.

Here's for another 90 minutes massacre by Morocco, only for the lucky charms to gift us another last-minute winner! :D

·
Registered
548 Posts
BerberPride said:
Don't worry Valdano, Saadane's been spotted in an Algiers dark alley, trying his hands on some gri-gri, amulet, a bit of talisman and some mojo.

Here's for another 90 minutes massacre by Morocco, only for the lucky charms to gift us another last-minute winner! :D
Bwahahaha.......I didn't know my North African brothers also relied heavily on the "African Electronic" stuff........:howler:

I'm just messing with you BerberPride........

:D

BTW, what kind of "White magic" do Europeans practice with their football?? gOD and the other European brethren around.....this is your time to come clean.........:D :crazy: :howler:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Valdano,

Saifi was not chosen by Saadane to be part of the 22 select. I am not a great fan of his to be honest, he's slick and skillfull as you said but doesn't contribute a great deal to collective play. He's your poor man's Dziri: a showman no more.
I hope he moves to greener pastures (He's rumored to be moving to Spain or England) as he's stagnated since his move to Troyes.
I feel he's a wasted talent. He showed so much promise, but now he's nearing the end of his career (He's already 28 or summat) and hasn't achieved much, neither at club or national level.

·
Registered
548 Posts
oh okay. That's a good excuse. Saifi was pretty much a defensive liability anyway. You talked about Bilel Dziri. His he pretty old now? He could have been useful as well in Tunisia. Seeing him play reminded me a bit of Zizou more due to their similar physical resemblance than his play. Dziri was still a very good player though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts