Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rolls royce of Africa - the Brazil - whatever you want to call them.

Nearly every line of their team seems to have a superstar in it.

Cameroon are handy as are Ghana while Egypt seem to often do well in African competitions but with Drogba in red hot form, could this be the high point of his career? (before he burns out for the world cup)

·
Registered
58,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Their manager, Vahid Halilhodžić, did have a good reputation in France in the early 00s. Dunno what's happened since.

Find it funny to see Sevilla fans raving about Zokora while at Spurs, he was just running about like a headless chicken. Love him though.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Surprising because they don't have the talent and quality to be champions, or surprising because they weren't champions before?

·
1st Tier Poster
47,860 Posts
they don't have the talent (much weaker squad overall compared to the favourites) and based on their previous big tournaments they most likely don't have the quality (tactical discipline and effectiveness when the going gets tough in the playoffs). I'd say their chances are less than 1%.

World Cup history is a strange thing, there's not a single surprise champion. Maybe Uruguay 1950 and Germany 1954 are the closest to it but these are hardly huge upsets either. Basically only established teams, a truly great football nations have managed to win it so far.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Ivory Coast are one of the strongest candidates to win ANC 2010 but I wouldn't put them as the overwhelming favourite. It's true that they have big names and a strong squad but so do Cameroon and Nigeria.

About their chances to win the World Cup I think they are not very high. Firstly because I don't even think they'll pass the Group Stages :)D) and secondly because Blatter already stated that [Quote - with irritating Swiss German accent] "It's time for a North American team to win the World Cup" [end of Quote].

·
Registered
28,215 Posts
Ivory Coast have to be heavy favorites for this as there's no one really close to them in terms of quality. I think Cameroon comes second best in terms of squad strength but I also feel that Ghana is way too overrated. I would even place Nigeria ahead of Ghana and I think the Algerians have a decent side too. Don't see Egypt reacting to their WC failure with a ACN victory either but they're still a dangerous side.

·
The Black Knight
2,038 Posts
Of course they can be stopped - Ivory Coast are a strong side... I don't know much about their manager... I'd wager they are a team with a genuine chance, but I still think they can be stopped - they're probably not favourites, and they'll probably struggle against Brazil.

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
They'll win it imho, and I'd be happy for them if they do.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Actually most Egyptians couldnt care less about this competition after the WC failure unless we face Algeria !!!

our players morals are down and i doubt they can turn the world cup failure into ACN triumph especially in the absence of Abo Treka but still you can never write Egypt off in the African cup.

Ivory coast, the only and most obvious favorites for the title ...the rest of the roster arent competitive enough and if there is one to make it hard for Ivory coast its Egypt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts