Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After Wednesday nights’ historic debacle, let us attempt to try to analyse the reasons, with a cooler head than what we’ve done yesterday, in the heat of the action and the extreme disappointment. There is not one single reason for that fiasco, there are a bunch of them, it all seemed like a chain reaction, which has been accumulated for the past few weeks and just needed to resurface and explode in a drastic manner. Everything I’ll be saying is purely my opinion and engages only my being and me. ;) I also would like to make this as clear as possible, this is not about finding excuses, but instead trying to find reasons behind this historic debacle.

The first reason in my opinion was the physical burn out of the players. For the past 2 months, Ancelotti has been fielding basically the same 11. Despite them being top professionals, they are still human beings and not supermen nor robots. The first signs of this burn out were already appearing in the past 2 Serie A games against Chievo and Modena.

This raises a valid question which brings naturally the second reason. Since the beginning, both Galliani and Carletto have been claiming that we have a roster full of 25 top professionals and there was no first team and second team and that each and every single one of them could come and play in the first team without affecting the outcome. That’s very nice, but it needs to be proven in practical terms as well. And I’m sorry to say that, but each time Carletto has tried someone else instead of one of the starters, the results were not as good as expected, if not catastrophic.

The last ones being Kaladze (whom to be honest, we cannot blame as he was just coming from a lengthy injury and it takes time to get back to shape and to top form). Then, last weekend when Simic was called upon to replace Cafu, whom just returned from a trans-atlantic flight as he played with Brasil on Wednesday, the Croatian was simply atrocious. The blame is not all his because he barely plays and we all know how crucial is game fitness.

How many times have we seen Brocchi, Redondo or Abbiati feature in the first 11 this season? Not many times. Why is that? Is it because there is no need for them? Is it because there is a big gap between them and the starters? If that is the case, then shouldn’t we look to replace them with better players? That’s a major task in the hands of the management this coming summer, but I’ll talk about this a little bit later in this post. J

Another very important reason in my opinion behind what we witnessed on Wednesday, was a lack of humility from the players. After the first leg and their convincing victory where they completely dominated them, it looked as if it was all done. And then, the commited the ultimate lese-majesty crime, so to speak whether it be in football or in life in general: taking things for granted and believing it was already won and in the pocket. Well, flash news: nothing is won before the end of the game. NOTHING. No matter how good a team or a person is. Holland have been experiencing that fatal fault for god knows how long, we, French had a very bitter taste of it in Korea in the last World Cup and now, it is unfortunately, the turn of our beloved Magico Milan. The continuous tam-tams of the Italian media, and Italian personalities praising this Milan team and comparing them with previous successful Milan teams was the drop that made it all explode. It all somehow got in the head of the players who believed they were better, more beautiful than everybody else and started feeling they were invincible. Even tough, at times, the performances of the Ragazzi could warrant such a feeling of invincibility, there is no place for at all for complacency and arrogance or one is digging their own grave. And that’s unfortunately, what happened to our players…L)

Believing that you’re invincible and unstoppable, makes a team and players lose the vital will to fight and to prove to all what they’re truly worth, that they’re the best on the field. These players since they were constantly hearing left and right songs of praises that they were the best, the Maravigliosi, God’s chosen ones, that got to their head and believed that they only had to show up on the field and their reputation and names alone would allow them to walk over any opposition. One couldn’t be farther from the truth. And I am speaking from personal and very bitter experience here (see World Cup 2002 for us).

In this fiasco, Ancelotti certainly has his fair share of blame. Indeed, the 2 main blames that one can reproach him are:
- always fielding the same team and not using the so called turnover when it was necessary, specially on the weekend against Modena. I’m sure that had we rested the likes of Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Kaka, then, they could have obtained at least a point from Modena, which we could have afforded anyways given our lead in the standings. It’s about prioritizing things right. We had a crucial Champions League game in front of us, while we could have afforded to if not sacrifice, at least rotate the team for the weekend Serie A fixture.
- - with a score line of 4-1 and going to the return leg, it should have only been a matter of simple administration of the game and the result. Knowing that Depor would throw everything at the team with a midfield packed with 5 men, Carletto should have gone with a more conservative approach with a 5 men midfield as well with only 1 forward up front. In other words, in the exact same formation that we gave Deportivo, not so long ago, a completely memorable football lesson last season.

These are the main two blames I can think of to point at Ancelotti for this CL game. Playing the same players over and over, sooner or later, they will show signs of exhaustion and that’s what happened first, against Chievo and then, again against Modena and more dramatically at the Riazor. Knowing this, wouldn’t have been better to field even against Depor, fresher players, who may not have been as skilled as the starters, but they had that little something which was truly absent in our players: juice or oil in their motors so to speak. The players were completely out-run and totally physically dominated. And at this level, it doesn’t forgive. You pay cash. As we unfortunately did. The fresher players would have fought like zombies on each ball, as it would have also been a perfect opportunity for them to prove to the coach that they deserve more playing time. At least, they would have provided a better fight than a bunch of completely exhausted champions…

Now, that the European season has come to such an abrupt, cruel and unexpected short ending, there are definitely lessons to draw and learn from them in order to grow and make sure this NEVER HAPPENS AGAIN!!!!

First and foremost, NOTHING IS WON IN ADVANCE!!!! NOTHING!!!! No matter how good or supposedly invincible a team may appear!!! Victories and titles are won with the sweat, blood and dedication of the 90+ minutes of each and every single match. No exception, unless and until, it’s mathematically done. Then and only, then, can the horns of praises start to roll around. Not before! NEVER!!!

Second lesson to learn, is that our team needs more depth and that is more in the domain of Galliani and Braida more than Ancelotti. During this summer, we must rejuvenate our defence, add more depth to the wings and also one or 2 solid strikers to give the starters a rest. My humble suggestions are Bonera, Stam, and another left back as Kaladze is very injury prone and Pancaro is already 32 and he can’t last a whole season on his own. Preferably that option should be young and talented. As to whom? Good question, that’s an equation for Milan’s scouts to solve, not mine…:D

In midfield, I’d like the team to add one or two wingers as to diversify more our game plan to give us more unpredictability and more headaches to the opponents figuring out how to stop us. ;) My dream would be to see Giuly join us as he would be simply perfect for either wings and also I’d like to see a replacement for an ageing and ever inconsistent Serginho. Preferably someone with Serie A experience, young and talented. Whom? That’s a job for Braida, Galliani and co…;)

Up front, I’d like to see the team add a couple of young, highly talented and versatile players to our offence. The names more cited and mentioned by the Italian medias are Kamara of Modena and Chevanton of Lecce. Both are tremendous talents with different characteristics. Kamara is similar to a Henry type as he likes to take the ball and run at defenders. He’s more of an assist man rather than a goal scorer. He’d be perfect as a left winger. Chevanton is the one we must not let slip through our hands. He’s the bomb! He can score, assist, and make defences go crazy. Reminds me of the young Sheva. Sheva-Cheva is the duo we are all dreaming about…

Other names mentioned are Bazzani of Sampdoria and Corradi of Lazio. Corradi, I personally feel he’s not needed as he’s too much like a Tomasson, but JDT is better and he would more than likely be waisted on the bench. Bazzani is a promising talent, with a Rossonero heart, and he said he’s willing to stay on the bench. Is he yet Milan material? That’s the question. Personally, I hope and pray that, if we get two new additions for our front line for next season, they’d be Kamara and Chevanton. With these 2 and Sheva and Pippo (his future is rather blurry, I personally hope he stays FORZA PIPPO!J…), we’d be set for a long time!

More importantly, we all Milanisti, not only in here in these forums, but all over the world and most importantly in Milano, should stick and stay strong behind our team. We need to show them that we are there for them. One lousy game, as incredible and as cruel as it turned out to be, cannot and should not erase one season of amazing football, amazing performances and amazing results. One bad game can happen to anybody, and it was our turn on Wednesday. We have to be behind our beloved team and our players no matter what, through the good and the bad, specially the bad! That’s when we see the true Milanista spirit, the Cascivit Heart! I hope and I have no doubt that on Saturday, the San Siro will be packed, and the players will be showered by love, admiration and entire unlimited and unconditional support from the fans at the stadium. And the players need to be 11 lions on the field on Saturday, for the reminder of the season and for every and each single game to come from now on and forever! That’s the only sure way to achieve great things as we’ve done previously.

We have a league to focus on and to win. It’s ours to win, within grasping and reaching distance. However, we MUST GO AND WIN EACH AND EVERY SINGLE POINT until and unless the mathematic certainty gives us the absolute certitude of lo Scudetto, we must contain any early and anticipated chants of glory or celebrations. We have to make sure that the lesson of humility of Wednesday is learnt and well learnt! We started the season with 6 possible titles and so far, 5 are gone in the winds. There’s one left, and we have a job to finish!:smileani:

FORZA RAGAZZI!!!:proud: :proud: :star: :cool:
FORZA MAGICO MILAN!!!:heart: :heart: :proud::proud: :star: :star: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
Great post san siro
I also agree that meravigliosi bullshit was our downfall
But theres the media, the team and us to blame for following it
I personally thought the game was over before it started, what happened was more than anything, destiny...
It was not a slap in the face by the gods, its just some weird shit that happened, milan played its best in the big occasions honestly in the last 2 years when we clinched the 4th post in the end of the season, then a night that an under par performance wouldve sufficed, depor played like a mixture of brazil 70's, real of the 50's and milan of the 90's, and we played like INTER, so we lost, to say the least
it was just some black cat weird shit, I agree over confidence and everything related to that, but it was just a day that will live in infamy, I am not that sad because I guess last years champions league win quenched my long thirst for longed success.

I do believe that some changes will be made, but positive ones. I think the mindset change is all that is needed, and a few young players that actually touch the turf, no more. Maybe Diego for when Rui leaves

Upsets happen
But we will all be milan fans, for a long, long time, I think that we need to be more patient and just wait, there is still a title we have not won in half a decade to be won, dobbiamo cucire lo scudetto in our chests once again, the red and black just doesnt look the same without it

Forza rossoneri tricolore sara

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
The team must remember HOW they played so well earlier in the year...hard work. That meravigliosi stuff is for fans and if it got into the heads of the players, that is what people say happens to Arsenal. It is the coaches and vertern players job to set the proper tone and focus for each match. Obviously that failed somewhere, either with 'Lotti or the players simply believed it was a certainty that the tie was over simply because 'we are a great team'

I expect Milan to bounce back. They have had a couple years to learn how to do that.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Defense: Stam, Zebina 10m € and free
Midfield: one of Davids(free)/Baraja(12m)/Emerson(18m)
Strikers: one of Chevanton(10m)/Kamara(5m)

We haven't spent much last summer (only Kaka), so we should be able to buy 2 or three players.
We should take advantage of the depressed market. Apart from Chelsea and ManU there is no one who will spend that big.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Defense: Stam, Zebina 10m € and free
Midfield: one of Davids(free)/Baraja(12m)/Emerson(18m)
Strikers: one of Chevanton(10m)/Kamara(5m)

:confused: that's insane!!!

i say:

defense: hyypiä,n'gotty
midfield: one of gerrard/ramelow/ljungberg
attack:eek:ne of owen/larsson/prso(who destroyed real)

OUT: rui costa,pirlo,tomasson at least....

M

·
0 Posts
no1 beckham faN said:
i say:

OUT: rui costa,pirlo,tomasson at least....
Nah . The one and the only we need is Beckham

·
Registered
985 Posts
i say:

OUT: rui costa,pirlo,tomasson at least.... [/B]

The purpose is to strenghten the team, not sell some top players and replace them.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
this is amazing...some of you with your shopping lists are ridiculus....

first off....

we lost cause we were cocky....end of story our heads are too big and the praise carlo and the media have given them made em think that we are gods gift to football....we aint thats Brazil ;)

our backup players are good, all are international starters...its jsut that its hard to come and play a game after two months or more of not playing....and it takes a game or 3 to get back into it.

also lets not overlook that it was individual errors that gifted depor the goals.

we just need to be humble and everything will be alright...and someone needs to tell carlo that he has more then 12 players on the squad

·
Bobo
4,525 Posts
Beckham fan,just a note,we have on sold Big Bruno N'Gotty and Sam Hyypia to Inter,we got a good deal in return,for further details look for the "DERBY POLL"thread,there are other exquisit deals already thrashed out with Inter there,i'm sure you'll find it intresting,i could go into the rest of your suggested team but i can't afford to just incase the link i'm on goes down.

As far as our future,i think it's OK,Wednesday night was an abberation,they happen,we'll probably have a touch up here or there over the summer but i don't think it will be a revolution.

I don't think blame can be aportioned to anyone as the whole team were there in body but not in spirit,hopefully this will galvanize the group even tighter,something i'm sure will happen,the rest is up to us,i won't going anywhere coz the ride has been great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts