Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
…….confined to the UEFA Cup, and as indirectly The Times pointed out, with a bunch of past it pensioners joining us, an almost surreal season is about to take off.

In the aftermath of one our worst domestic seasons over the last couple of decades, it appeared almost natural that in order to regain competitiveness’, the board was called to redesign the squad, especially in terms of depth. Berlusca went as far as suggesting what was needed: A revolution.
Revolution it was indeed.
Player after player, we’ve said so long to a number of players, some of them perhaps with great pain.
Anyway, after the signing of Flamini from Arsenal, we have added a number of other players:
Abbiati, Senderos, Zambrotta, Antonini, Flamini, Cardacio, Ronaldinho, Shevchenko, Viudez and Borriello.

On a couple of tv calcio shows it’s been estimated that Milan has closed the books of summer mercato window with a gain of 10 million Euro.
Our main rivals, perhaps even with no need to do so, have spent a decent amount of cash. With the signings of Muntari, Mancini and Quaresma, our cousins have spent approx 50 million to which Mourinho’s mega contract should also be added. Fiorentina has spent approx as much as Inter and sespite not spending as much as Inter and Viola, Juve and Roma have banged in a considerable amount of cash too. In two words, all four clubs that ended ahead of us last season have heavily invested on the market, we’ve actually made a profit!

Most of the time you usually get what you pay for, this is why in perspective I would label our status as romantic, a Romantic Adventure. Let’s hope we weren’t to naïve.

This coming Sunday against Bologna our season will officially start, how do you rate our chances?

Forza Milan :heart:

·
Scudetto
23,383 Posts
After all those signings we actually made a profit? :eek:

With all the deadwood we had, I guess other teams could have actually utilized them.

As they say, one man's meat is another man's poison.. Just the other way round :D

A

·
0 Posts
oh wow; now i guess we have a healthy budget, or are milan still in the red numbers? though I guess the signing of R80 was a nice media move.

gotta give some credit to galliani; since this transfer summer is way better than the last 2 ones... not saying I like the signings though :pp

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
Rebuilding an aging squad does not happen overnight. Some of the reinforcements this summer (Sheva, Zambrotta) seemed purely to be additions to ensure short term respectability (i.e. CL next season). Quite a few were investments in the future (Flamini, Antonini, Cardazio, Viudez and Boriello).

Ronaldinho was the big gamble of the campaign, he is surely young enough to represent the medium term future (defined as 4-5 seasons), yet expensive enough (salary) that he needs to perform in the short term to be considered a success.

I think it is naive to expect more than a top 3 finish this season, we clearly need a revamping of the defence (including the GK) before we are a solid title challenger. However, next season this should be possible if a solid CB and a solid GK are bought and if primarely Flamini + Ronaldinho find their ways at Milan.

I am optimistic looking forward, but realistically skeptical about the season ahead.

Regardless, Forza Milan :)

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't be shy guys, share your prediction on our forthcoming season :)

·
Scudetto
23,383 Posts
We'll at least be fighting for the Scudetto, I hope.

The squad and attack in particular is very good on paper.

If things go wrong, there is always the January window :hopeful:

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am optimistic looking forward, but realistically skeptical about the season ahead.

Regardless, Forza Milan :)
Cooda :shades: though I'm rather thick and slow, I have a slight prob in interpreting the above statement :undecide:

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
Cooda :shades: though I'm rather thick and slow, I have a slight prob in interpreting the above statement :undecide:
It means I am optimistic we can win next season, but only fight for 2nd or 3rd this year. :)

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It means I am optimistic we can win next season, but only fight for 2nd or 3rd this year. :)
Fair enough :thumbsup:
....so whoìs going to win? :notlist:

P.S. logging in to XT is driving me nuts :frustrat:

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
P.S. logging in to XT is driving me nuts :frustrat:
There is a script from an ad place thats making it impossible to log in without problems unless you have ad blocks or no-script plug ins. There is a thread in the Q&S forum with tips.

As for the question at hand, I think that Milan will surprise many and be top 2 and hopefully for you guys top 1.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Grazie for the backing Raul :shades:

P.S. especially at work I will no longer be able to log in if this is the case

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
Fair enough :thumbsup:
....so whoìs going to win? :notlist:
Our ugly but efficient cousins have everything to loose this season. The pressure and expectation is on them and "the special one". If they win, it is to be expected. If they do not, Moratti will abandon the recently successful strategy of consistency (for the constant squad/coach revolutions of the 90s) and the whale that is Inter will dive once more and will not re-surface for a long long time.

But then again, I could be wrong :undecide:

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Our ugly but efficient cousins have everything to loose this season. The pressure and expectation is on them and "the special one". If they win, it is to be expected. If they do not, Moratti will abandon the recently successful strategy of consistency (for the constant squad/coach revolutions of the 90s) and the whale that is Inter will dive once more and will not re-surface for a long long time.

But then again, I could be wrong :undecide:
Down to scratch, IMHO I fear Inter can't loose it. As suggested in my opening post, they have added 50 MLN Euros plus in players and Mourinho, to a team that was built over the years that has cost them just short of a billion.
Focusing on Milan alone, should Sheva and Ronaldinho not be a huge disappointment, Pato step up and Zambro and Flamini have a solid season, possibly we could improve our final standing. Roma, Juve and especially Fiorentina have spent bucks in improving their already competitive squads, we are a gamble, in this sense, a Romantic Adventure :hopeful:

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And thus, the jinx is served with crazy glue :pp
...not really, just on par with what almost every opinion maker has suggested so far over here :neutral:

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you on the facts and odds here. Your jinx may however serve us well as the Interisti are terrified of predictions ;)

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you on the facts and odds here. Your jinx may however serve us well as the Interisti are terrified of predictions ;)
I just fear The Times might very well have exposed us :notlist:

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
The first 4 games of the season will either expose our supposed defensive weaknesses or give us some hope for the derby on MD5. The Times took the realistically pessimistic view, time will tell if they were right.

Regardless Forza Milan!

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The first 4 games of the season will either expose our supposed defensive weaknesses or give us some hope for the derby on MD5. The Times took the realistically pessimistic view, time will tell if they were right.

Regardless Forza Milan!
Realism is often a strength.
Anyway, I get your point :thumbsup:

Forza Milan :heart:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts