Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you might know Fernando Amorebieta was born in Cantaura (Venezuela) due to his father's work, but his family returned to Iurreta when he was 2 years old. Therefore he has the double citizenship.

About a year ago Amorebieta was called for the Venezuelan NT but he couldn't play because he has played an U-19 Euro for Spain, and FIFA rules don't admit it, at least at first, in some cases it can be appealed. Back then the Venezuelan managers didn't seemed too motivated to appeal so things just cooled down.

Now, Amorebieta has passed from being a promising but inmature young player to an established first level defender, with potential enough to become one of the best in the world.

Probably because of this, Venezuela's interest has returned. They organized a meeting between the coach, FA president, Arango and Amorebieta before the Athletic-Mallorca last weekend, and the coach passed the whole weekend in Bilbao meeting Amorebieta's family and that stuff. Arango also had a meeting with Fernan after the game telling him how great is to play for the 'vinotinto'.. The people from Venezuelan FA say they want to appeal and watching Fernando's circumstances they're sure FIFA will give him permission to play for the vinotinto.

Meanwhile, Aragonés' has followed Fernan (and other Athletic players) in several games, and in fact he was in a preliminary list for the Euro, although it looks like in the end Aragonés won't call him. Pretty weird watching the clearly inferior defenders he's calling instead but...who cares. What seems clear is that Vicente Del Bosque will be the spain manager after the Euro (he's a declared fan of Amorebieta) so it's evident that Amorebieta will be in Del Bosque's first list, if Fernan chooses to play for Spain.

So, watching how by now it's impossible for him to play official games for his real NT, Amorebieta faces the doubt of playing for Venezuela or Spain. He says he values Caparrós' advice, and he wants to make what's best for Athletic, and the andalusian coach has told him to wait until September and play for Spain. It's clear that, in terms of physicall tireness, it's better to travel to San Marino than Perú for games. It's also true that the spanish nt creates a far higher mental tireness with the "we're the best in the world" media which surrounds it.

In terms of experience, playing for Venezuela and meeting different kind of people, I mean, totally different from the posh-rich ones he'd met in spain.. that is, meeting other type of football and people...it's something that at least calls me, and travel through América, playing a copa américa, it's clearly a different experience, but that's of course a personal thing of me, most wouldn't prefer it.

Venezuela is currently 5th in the South American standings for the 2010 world cup. They have a good generation of players leaded by Arango and Maldonado in attack, and with Amorebieta commanding the defense they think they have high chances of reaching their first world cup.

Here you have a video from venezuela's tv about it, recorded the Mallorca-Athletic day. In the video they say that Fernan dies to play for the vinotinto, well, I don't think it's THAT clear.:D

[tub]vZXGu9GMnSI[/tub]

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Well, I think, at first, he's to make his own decision which anyone should respect.

It should be a matter of feeling, nothing else. He shouldn't look at things like the travelling schedules or other peoples 'coloured' advices...

For me personally it shouldn't be a dilemma at all, I'd go for Venezuela, but of course I don't know or he feels something for the country.

Hopefully he makes a decision he doesn't regret later in his life.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What happens is that it looks like he has no special feeling, I mean, not a passionate desire to defend any of those two NTs. So it's normal he looks for other kind of motivations, and I find positive that appart from his personal desires/beliefs etc... he does give a lot of importance to what "becomes the best for Athletic".

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
What happens is that it looks like he has no special feeling, I mean, not a passionate desire to defend any of those two NTs. So it's normal he looks for other kind of motivations, and I find positive that appart from his personal desires/beliefs etc... he does give a lot of importance to what "becomes the best for Athletic".
Well if it's both 50/50 between Venezuela and Spain he'd better play for Spain, because in theory that's much better for Athletic. Same circumstances to play in, no (relative) long trips and probably a higher level because of that probably the chance of getting injuries is lower.

Beside that, I doubt, if he really feels Basque, whether it's an honour or not for him to represent Spain in Europe. If it's not, then he'd prefer Venezuela anyway and have a better feeling with them.
Also in the end it's better for Athletic to have a player who's happy to go on international trips instead of a player who feels bad by representing a team he doesn't want to represent, despite the circumstances are better, the level is higher etc.

For some people / players it's more than just football in cases like these, it's a hard choice, but again, for me probably it wouldn't be one...

·
Lehendakari
2,025 Posts
It's a difficult one.

For footballing reasons the best choice would probably be Spain. Playing in World Cups and Euros would help him improve and gain experience. This is much more likely to happen with Spain and playing with better players would also help him improve.

However, it is of course likely that he would gain more caps with Venezuela. But with Venezuela the trips would be longer and in some cases more frequent.

I think it could come down to which country he has more feeling for, whether he feels Spanish or Venezuelan or neither.

Also, if it came down to which would be the best choice for Athletic, it would probably be not to play international football. I think if most clubs managers had the choice they wouldn't have their players playing for their country.

On a side note, if he did play for Venezuela, would he still get his picture on the board with all Athletic players who have player for Spain, or is it just for Spanish internationals?

·
Lehendakari
2,025 Posts
I can't remember. I should have asked when I went on the tour last month.

Considering it was mentioned as the Athletic players that have represented Spain rather than played for their country (even though for almost all players that is the same thing,) I presume its just for Spanish internationals. Also, I don't recall Lizarazu being mentioned.

Still I don't see any reason why they can't put Fernando on there if he plays for Venezuela.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In fact what is a shame is that they don't have the players who have played for the basque nt and just for spain, but well... And yes, they should have Amorebieta if he plays for Venezuela, as they should have Lizarazu of course.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
He plays for the Basque NT which should be enough for his "nationa pride".
If he wants to play for the Spanish or the Venezuelan NT,he should choose the place he feels more commited to. Also,in the Venezulan NT he is definately going to get international experience which is not sure in the Spanish NT (if we check the Spanish CB's though we may change our mind).

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Personally, I want him wearing Spain jersey, but don't care if he chooses Venezuela. Which ever choice he would make, I'll support his decision.

BTW, there's still many speculations that some EPL clubs are chasing after him, so what would be the possibility that Amorebieta leaving the club?

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BTW, there's still many speculations that some EPL clubs are chasing after him, so what would be the possibility that Amorebieta leaving the club?
You have answers for that in the transfers thread.:)

Amorebieta hasn't made Aragonés' list in the end, as expected. Juanito, Marchena, Albiol....:D

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Amorebieta thing has become kind of a national worry in spanish media, some even try to pressure Del Bosque to include him in the list tomorrow for a friendly in Mexico so he can't play for Venezuela. His words saying they better call me for venezuela soon before they force me to play for spain have been attacked by many journalists.

He also mentions he knows Athletic won't like the decission (for the travels and so on) but he wants to play for venezuela. Funnily enough he was already called by spain in 2008 (although didn't play) and he seemed happy backed then. He says that some uefa rule has changed now and he can finally play for venezuela.

I really don't know if he really wants to play for venezuela or he is just pressuring to be called by spain, or he just wants to play for any nt out there. Remember that in many footballers contract they have an economic improvement if they play nt football. Fernando isn't the brightest person around so he can surprise us with anything.

Truth is he would be an untouchable starter in Venezuela, a team which is improving lately although still with few chances of fighting for Copa América or to enter in the WC. Has to be said that with Amorebieta's addition they could be closer to that target.

In spain he has no place right now but Del Bosque has already started to seek for replacement for the veterans Puyol & Marchena, who will both probably retire after the euro. In that scenario, Amorebieta could have clear chances, since Del Bosque likes him. He will probably be behind Piqué & Albiol in the rotation, but he would be a contender to be the 1st choice from the bench.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts