Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm watching flamengo x america in the carioca on globo internacional. halftime 0 x 0.

for a team in the third division, america seems like it has a nice stadium. the playing surface leaves a lot to be desired, but it is certainly no worse than maracan or san januario. certainly fla or botafogo would be happy to have a modern stadium like edson passo to call their own! the stadium they are going share, luso-brasileiro, looks like it was hit by bomb.

how did america get such a nice stadium? what is their "story"? i saw on their web site that their glory days were in the 20s and 30s, when they were the equal of the current big 4. any chance that any rio team currently in the serie C will ever move up in the B and eventually the A?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
america sure has a fine stadium. it's a pity that it's far, far away from here. actually, it's not in rio, it's in mesquita. from what I know, america did offer their blood, toil, sweat and tears to build that stadium. it's their only achievement since the 60's, when they last won the state championship (1960, I believe).

botafogo's stadium is currently being reformed. there are plans about building a new stadium. maybe someone knows how to answer the question. I don't know why they chose to play in luso-brasileiro.

rio's chances in the serie C are very few. I don't know how volta redonda stands against são paulo's teams. it's hard to predict that.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I've just read that luso-brasileiro will now be known as petrobras arena.
it will go under a complete reform.

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
eugene, America was together with Flamengo, Fluminense and Botafogo the 4 original great clubs in Rio de Janeiro and one of the most important in the history of footbal there. (Vasco only joined the group in the 30's and they had Bangu also important, but playing the role of poor cousin).
They managed to keep their tradition until the 80's with several important names of Politics (Such as Former CBF president Giulite Coutinho) and having their share of important players also, such Edu (brother of Zico, also a great player).
The problem with America is that they never had the squad of Botafogo, they are not as rich as Fluminense and never became as popular as Flamengo, so they are often the "small big club" of Rio. When the Rio's footbal decline started (basically in 70's when the competition of the other states was big enough and Rio often answered with their wonderful tradition and with politics) and the Caixa D'Agua age started to weaken the clubs, Bangu and America are the first to suffer what the other big 4 are suffering. A real shame but at least they seem to be able to see that Rio's team can not keep the road they take and this may be the hope of America and Bangu (although it may mean their end). I would love, frankly, to see Bangu back, it is really important his history to our history of footbal and it is the club of Domingos da Guia.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Fabio Manic said:
botafogo's stadium is currently being reformed. there are plans about building a new stadium. maybe someone knows how to answer the question. I don't know why they chose to play in luso-brasileiro.
Bota's president, Bebeto de Freitas, is in negotiations over the new stadium... but almost nothing has been revealed yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

And the Maracana will go through some reforms for the upcoming Panamerican games that will happen in Rio, so the clubs need alternatives. Fla and Bota will play at the sucky luso-brasileiro stadium and apparently Flu will play in Volta Redonda, like Fla did last year. I wish they had done this reform during the Rio championship instead of during the Brasileiro, but that would be a smart thing – and Suderj (the Maracana administrators) NEVER makes smart decisions, it's against their religion or something.

So the Maraca is available for the "me engana que eu gosto" tournament, and will be unavailable for the ONE competition that really matters. :wallbang: :mad:

God, we NEED to build a stadium for ourselves, so we can abandon the Maracana forever.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Garrincha, wait for the new stadium, but do not hold your breath.

In my opinion, you might even be lucky and get your new stadium, IF the federal taxpayer stands up to pay for it.

Private enterpreneurship, local taxpayers... FAT [email protected]

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Bordon is gone! said:
Garrincha, wait for the new stadium, but do not hold your breath.

In my opinion, you might even be lucky and get your new stadium, IF the federal taxpayer stands up to pay for it.

Private enterpreneurship, local taxpayers... FAT [email protected]
You're misinformed. The deal is that a foreign holding will build the stadium, complete with shopping, parking and food facilities, and have the right to explore the commercial spaces for a period (25 years or something). After that period those rights revert to the club.

No public funds will be used in the construction... the only public contribution is that if the contract is confirmed City Hall will donate to Botafogo the piece of land where the stadium will be, currently occupied by abandoned publicly-owned warehouses in the dock area, as part of a plan to revitalize that part of the city (there are also other thins being done that way, like fiscal incentives for businessmen who want to invest in the area).

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I just said do not hold your breath... Count the beans after the blossom, whatever!

I think it is ok if City Hall is donating the land, after all, that is a deal between local government and local business, not a handout from federal government.

As far as international investors go, I would not buy into that, Bank of America was taken to the cleaners by Vasco... after pumping tens of millions of dollars, Vasco simply pretended they had nothing to do with that. Can anyone be sure that it would be different with Botafogo?

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Bordon is gone! said:
I just said do not hold your breath... Count the beans after the blossom, whatever!
I'm not celebrating yet, first I want to see it becoming real. But you can't deny that it sounds like a sweet deal, I hope it happens. :)

Bordon is gone! said:
As far as international investors go, I would not buy into that, Bank of America was taken to the cleaners by Vasco... after pumping tens of millions of dollars, Vasco simply pretended they had nothing to do with that. Can anyone be sure that it would be different with Botafogo?
Well, Bebeto de Freitas has brought credibility to the club, paying the club's debts responsibly and defending the sponsors' investments whenever necessary... he's undeniably more responsible than Eurico ever was. It's true that Eurico has ruined Vasco's name in the market and strong sponsors don't want anything to do with them anymore, but that doesn't mean that all clubs are the same.

I do think this deal can happen. Hell, I fervently hope it happens, it would be *awesome* for Botafogo. :hopefull:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I hope it works... If only to spite Vasco!

I believe that the only way out for Carioca clubs is stadium ownership and strong youth programs... If Bebeto can pull a stadium off his hat, Botafogo will have 50% of the recipe for success... Yet still a lot to do before Botafogo has a youth program comparable to the likes of Sao Paulo, Corinthians, Inter or even Fluminense.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
vitória is also worth mentioning.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
The location will be in the docks area, next to the Guanabara Bay... and the rumours I've heard mention a capacity of 35K/45K. But the negotiations are being handled very discreetly.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
referring to an earlies post...what was the deal between Vasco and the Bank of America? BoA actually gave Eurico Miranda millions of dollars? Who the hell advised them to do that? Anyone - including, i am sure, vascainos (on th promise of a new life and new idendity in an undisclosed location) - could have told BoA that such a deal would have only one logical outcome: the money going towards the mortgage payments on Eurico's mansion in Boca Raton among other things instead of towards the purchase of players and upgrading the facilities.

Plus, can anyone shed light of the relation between Muse-Hicks and Corinthians? I remember even reading that MH gave a big press conferenece announcing the contruction of the mythical stadium for Timao.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
(1) Bank of America (or was it Nations Bank?) lost tens of millions of dollars with Vasco. At the time, I explained the deal to a retired top officer of a certain BOfA competitor, and he told me that in his good old days, if his bank was screwed up so royally, the bank's "internal CIA" would make sure it would not happen again.

(2) Hicks Muse pulled out of Corinthians after exchange rate turmoil and the Vasco debacle.

·
Registered
159 Posts
hey... américa-rj has a beautiful anthem, a great samba by lamartine babo. try to download it if you can.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts