Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ambro: I considered quitting Milan Tuesday 13 April, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Massimo Ambrosini admits he still hopes to be part of Italy’s Euro 2004 squad, but assures he won’t leave Milan even if there is a lack of first team football.

“My situation hasn’t changed,” noted the midfielder who last month hinted at a summer switch.

“Of course I’d love to play more regularly and I won’t hide that I did think about moving on, but I also realise how important I am to this team and quite frankly just being a member of the Milan squad is a prestigious achievement.”

However, spending so much time on the bench has inevitably harmed his chances of flying to Portugal.

“Coach Giovanni Trapattoni called me for the most recent Italy friendly and I hope with all of my heart to be part of these Championships with my teammates. If that doesn’t happen, then I’ll have nothing to blame myself for. It simply wasn’t to be.”

Ambrosini was also asked to discuss the controversial 1-0 win over Empoli and the subsequent row over refereeing errors.

“I don’t believe all this rubbish about the referees favouring Milan,” he snapped in today’s press conference. “If that was the case, then why did he not award a penalty for that foul on Andriy Shevchenko just a few minutes earlier?”

The 4-0 defeat at Deportivo La Coruna has put pressure on the Rossoneri to win the Scudetto, but the midfielder suggests too much is expected of them.

“I think that this defeat, and the 4-0 to Lazio in the Coppa Italia semi-final, were so awful that they had to be nothing more than an off-day. Unfortunately, this season our few dips in form have been spectacularly low.”

channel4

1 - 2 of 2 Posts