Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THEY MISSED AMBRO

MILAN – Everybody noticed Ambrosini’s absence, at last.
Comments, polls and flash news all emphasize the same question: where was Massimo Ambrosini?
Max played 13 matches this season (9 in the League) and scored 3 goals: not bad for a half back. Ambrosini had come back not long before the departure for Japan, and he would have been perfectly fit, fresher than the others.
The Azzurri elimination wasn’t only a referee’s fault: some start to say that Trapattoni has his own responsibilities. Apart from the substitutions he did or did not, we have to travel back in time to understand one of the most important reasons for this defeat.
On May 8, when Trapattoni named the 23 men to go to Korea-Japan 2002, we didn’t find, among them, someone who could possibly replace Demetrio Albertini, who had got injured. Only Di Biagio… but it was not enough.
Giovanni Trapattoni replied to his critics and said: 'I preferred Di Livio because he can cover 4 different roles, while Ambrosini can not'.
No polemics with Italy’s coach, but we know Ambrosini very well, and we also know how important he can be in a squad’s way of playing. That’s why we can say that also Ambro can cover 4 different roles as a midfielder.

The part I particularly like is the part where Trap says Di Livio can play 4 roles and Ambro can't. I wonder which roles exactly is Trap refering to. I've seen Di Livio run a lot, make lousy passes, bump into people and then run some more. 1,2,3,4......yeah, I guess that adds up. :rollani: :D

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Admit it, Trap was totally dumb in deciding his squad.

So what if Di Livio can play 4 different positions… Can he pass the ball? Not from my judgement, even Gattuso did better than him in passing the ball. :rolleyes: :)

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And playing four different positions but playing them poorly doesn't do anybody any good, either. ;)

I think Trap's team was chosen fairly well except in the midfield where obvious choices like Ambro were left off for less than stellar selections. Also, having nothing but bruisers (except Di Biagio) to chose from limited the team's options.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Ambro can play 11 position better than Di Livio, unfortunately he isn't best friend with Trapp.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,859 Posts
I totally agree that Ambrosini could have done a better role than Di Livio, Zanetti, Di Biagio, Gattuso and co. But it´s true that he had palyed very few matches before World Cup.
You have to give that to Trap. But Italy really missed a defensive mid that could also crrate some chances. Even Albertini used to do that role befor. This time no one could.

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
It was a crime that Ambro never came to Asia, he would've done a good job for our midfield, better then that piece of sh*t Di Livio and that headless chicken Gattuso.

Trap should've been braver, but he made a bad decision and they got worse when he arrived in Japan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts