Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright! Let's be serious, what are our chances of winning the WC?

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
We have a chance, like any other team that qualifies. The ball is round after all.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
I give us a chance of making the semifinal in any compatition, but actually winning one for once ... dunno ... I grew a bit sceptical on this over the years. First let's hope we don't mess up the qualification (what I don't seriously expect though)

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
As of right now?

It's very hard to tell.

Pauleta is just not gonna cut it, but I think Helder Postiga is picking up the goalscoring, so we could have a possible solution.

The only spots on our team which I think might need some strenghtening would be the forward slot, one of the wings (doesn't matter which, Ronaldo can do the other), the DL, and debatably the goalkeeping spot. For me, I think Quim should have a go as keeper, he was very good against Canada and I would hope that he gets a chance, he's very solid, and I don't think he's made a big blunder at all this season.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
BeiraMarense said:
As of right now?

It's very hard to tell.

Pauleta is just not gonna cut it, but I think Helder Postiga is picking up the goalscoring, so we could have a possible solution.

The only spots on our team which I think might need some strenghtening would be the forward slot, one of the wings (doesn't matter which, Ronaldo can do the other), the DL, and debatably the goalkeeping spot. For me, I think Quim should have a go as keeper, he was very good against Canada and I would hope that he gets a chance, he's very solid, and I don't think he's made a big blunder at all this season.
hmm Postiga scores some goals but I don't think he's THE guy. I doubt he will be as great as Pauleta. As for Quim, I have some troubles to compare him with Ricardo because I don't fancy one or other. Quim hasn't made a big blunder this season but Benfica have conceded some naive goals with some fault on him, in my opinion. Anyway, he's playing decently.

·
Registered
438 Posts
In my opinion, our chances are close to zero. I fancy a quarter final as very reasonable, and a semi final as a great achievement, but I don't think we have what it takes to go beyond that, which doesn't take away from the fact that it can happen, and weirder things have happened indeed.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I think there is a good chance for portugal to reach the semis but there is a big problem at striker some one needs to step up big time or a new start has to come up by then either way i see striker as being the major problem.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree! We have to develop a striker that can function well at that position. IMHO, Pauleta is still very good, he just had a horrible tournament. I also thought that Scolari should have started Nuno Gomes at that position. Although he only scored once, he usually came out as a substitute and I believe if he had been given a starting role which meant more time, he would have found the net more than once.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
hmmmm i am unsure about nuno gomes aswell for some reason pauleta has been good in qualifing so i would stick with him for now who played striker against canada ?

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hrvatski kralj said:
hmmmm i am unsure about nuno gomes aswell for some reason pauleta has been good in qualifing so i would stick with him for now who played striker against canada ?
Ofcourse, Pauleta is our number one option. However, Nuno Gomes has also been playing well in qualifying. Only if we had a dominate striker like Henry or Sheva...

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
then i would say portugal would probably be favorites to win wc 2006. i would love to see croatia vs portugal at the wc in 06. this is off topic but would you happen to know what time new york time the big game betwenn sporting and benfica starts im supposed to go watch it today but i dont know when it starts.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
hrvatski kralj said:
then i would say portugal would probably be favorites to win wc 2006. i would love to see croatia vs portugal at the wc in 06. this is off topic but would you happen to know what time new york time the big game betwenn sporting and benfica starts im supposed to go watch it today but i dont know when it starts.
2:45 pm

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
thanks pila and good luck to benfica.

·
Registered
169 Posts
We have as many chances as everyone else, assuming we qualify, of course. Not that it matters anyway - who would've said Greece would win Euro 2004?

Portugal needs a good striker (Pauleta has been terrible this year) and someone who's *not* a pitiful goalkeeper. That leaves Quim and Ricardo out. If I had to choose someone it would have to be Moreira. It's just too damn bad that Mora isn't portuguese - he's done some great games this year.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
-Marta- said:
Portugal needs a good striker (Pauleta has been terrible this year) and someone who's *not* a pitiful goalkeeper. That leaves Quim and Ricardo out. If I had to choose someone it would have to be Moreira. It's just too damn bad that Mora isn't portuguese - he's done some great games this year.
It depends. There's one more season till the WC 06 and we must realise that Pauleta will certainly leave PSG because his situation at the club is not great. Anyway, if it's confirmed that Liedson will be transferred out to Corinthians, then why not Pauleta signing Sporting? I think this is the season for Pauleta to debut in Superliga, finally. Porto have the money, Benfica are on fire... good chances for him, too. Playing in Superliga might give him a new confidence because I think he's still with a good physical condition. The main problem is PSG, which is not the easiest of the teams to settle.

Portugal are going to play on the 4th and 8th May so let's see if Scolari decides for Quim or Ricardo. anyway, that's not a definite decision. Mora is a good keeper but in my opinion he's not better than Ricardo or Quim. The same for Marco Aurélio.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Mora? The best keeper in our league overall would be Helton followed closely by Pavel Srnicek (leaving this season probably), and Quim.

I think Quim is our best option; though I must say that Costinha from Leiria really impressed me against Benfica, and with Helton likely to leave I think he'll get a very good chance to play and maybe have a breakthrough season.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anything's possible. I had serious doubts about Portugal after losing to Greece in the Euro Cup, but they prevailed and that goes without saying as a pleasant surprise. Now hopefully with the WC coming they will be focused and determined to win and put the past behind them. Obviously, there is a greater challenge going into the WC, but in the Euro Cup they came out over some of the best teams in the world. So to answer your question O Glorioso, we may not be the favorite, but there's always a chance. :jester:

·
Registered
72 Posts
either have a better striker, or another winger eg. quaresma, so we can play ronaldo as striker. also j.andrade seems to make one crucial mistake in each game in euro2004 (from england to greece) and that causes us to conceed a goal in all 3 matches :p.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Ronaldo is not a good idea to play as striker. He definitely makes the difference on the wings or as second forward. Jorge Andrade is a great centre-back and no way he should leave the team. As for Pauleta, I admit he's in a terrible form period and I was hoping for him to change club. Anyway, he's our best striker.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts