Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got linked to this on liverpoolfc.tv:

Rafael Benitez has confirmed Spanish midfielder Xabi Alonso is likely to miss the rest of the season.

Alonso broke his ankle in a tackle with Frank Lampard during the Reds' clash with Chelsea on New Year's Day and was originally expected to be sidelined for just three months.

But Benitez is now resigned to being without his £10 million midfield star until the beginning of next season.

He said: "In my mind now I think that Xabi will not play again this season.

"After three months, you don't know, some players can come straight back but some players take a lot of time. If Xabi comes back it will be a bonus."

-----

Ouch.

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
wow, we've been really hard done by injuries this year, our most expensive signings are both out for the year now.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
I was hoping he'd return by March.. Sad news.. Hope it doesn't affect the side tonight.. :(

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Xabi ALonso is Liverpool's most important player, as proven with his absence, Gerrard is important but Xabi adds something to the team which I cant explain from whe Ive seen them with him and without him.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Really gutted. We have so much bad luck with our new signings that we might as well play last season's side, minus Owen.

paw;)

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
seriously, after reading the enws on .tv, talklfc & here, I jsut had to look at the tackle again.

Maybe Lampard didn't mean to break Xabi's ankle, but there's no way he meant to get the ball. He got his man, and stopped Xabi from playing the ball to the right. Lampard has always been late and hard in his tackles, and this is no exception.

The only thing that keeps me quiet abt it is that Gerrard was like that too in his early days. :irritate:

Anyone who comes out and say we still have no excuses for not playing well will get one from me. Lost our first choice striker, first choice CM, first choice LM, first choice & second choice RB, first choice CB, first choice GK at different and most unfortunately times, coinciding with the return of some other injury victim.

Tell me what will Arsenal do without Henry, Vieira, Reyes, Lauren/Toure/Hoyte, Sol and Lehmann at diff times, not to mention losing the likes of Pires (Garcia), Edu (Gerrard), Baros (Bergkamp) at some point in the season at diff times.

How ppl expect Rafa to have a team playing like contenders is beyond me.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Oh no... he's proven to be very important, the only good one of all those spaniards... we're missing him already very hard, this makes it even worse :(.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
karrmadamaii said:
Tell me what will Arsenal do without Henry, Vieira, Reyes, Lauren/Toure/Hoyte, Sol and Lehmann at diff times, not to mention losing the likes of Pires (Garcia), Edu (Gerrard), Baros (Bergkamp) at some point in the season at diff times.
Almunia/Taylor
Eboue Toure Senderos Cole
Pennant Flamini Fabregas Clichy
Ljungberg van Persie

We'd be stuffed. That's without forgetting we don't have Gilberto for the rest of the season either.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
khimik said:
Almunia/Taylor
Eboue Toure Senderos Cole
Pennant Flamini Fabregas Clichy
Ljungberg van Persie

We'd be stuffed. That's without forgetting we don't have Gilberto for the rest of the season either.
I rest my case.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Sad news for the club. Don't think anybody lost two of the most influential players for an entire season before. rafa seriously has some rotten luck.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Deano said:
Xabi ALonso is Liverpool's most important player, as proven with his absence, Gerrard is important but Xabi adds something to the team which I cant explain from whe Ive seen them with him and without him.
:thmbup:

can't believe this, our best player out for rest of season, typical of our look this year :crybaby:

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Well we surely have to bring someone into our midfield before the window closes or we are gonna struggle to make the fkn UEFA cup let alone the CL!

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
I think buy out van Bommels contract, he's out of contract in the summer so would only cost what a couple million?

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
we should bring back, Le Tallec, Cheyrou, Diouf.
even if Cheyrou and Diouf aren't that good we need players.

Le Tallec should do good to us he has the skills. and about Xabi Alonso injure he was our best player, maybe is time to give Welsh or Potter a run.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
I think Liverpool lack of Gary McAllister type of player. A veteran and experienced player who is willingly to sit on the bench, but ready to save the club at crucial times and give the club the necessary back-up they need.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts