Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was heartbreak for several of the reds U-19 squad today with the news that NONE of them will be at the club next season.

Only those already training with the seniors, such as David Raven, David Mannix, Robbie Foy and Darren Potter will be kept on, as Gerard Houllier deemed none of the other boys good enough to be awarded new deals.

Adam Flynn, Andrew Wright, Jason Massie, Paul Harrison and Steven Gillespie will not be given contracts, whilst Steven Vaughan and England youth forward Mark Smyth will have the remaining year of their pro contracts paid up and will leave the club this summer.

Gillespie's departure will raise most eyebrows, as the striker has impressed this season both for the U-19s and the reserves, even scoring the winning goal for the reds second string at Birmingham the other night.

Chris Butler, who's been out for much of the season with a serious knee injury is also out of contract, but as of yet TLW doesn't know whether he will be given another year to prove himself or not.

Butler was assured by Sammy Lee that the club would look after him, so presumably they'll honour that agreement and he'll still be here next season.

Houllier's decision is sure to cause another rift between himself and Steve Heighway, who had recommended that certain players be kept on for another season at least.
------------------

Not that they will much of a chance to make any kind of breakthrough anyway.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Winter is Coming.
8,130 Posts
i heard of this on another forum and i must say this is absolutely stupid from our Manager.

Its heartbreak down in Liverpool tonight. Those boys must be shattered. and more shattered so by the fact that THIS manager of all managers have cut them out of it. Hopefully they will find good clubs. I seriously don't understand what Houllier is doing. How can he do this to U19s when his First Team squad is probably less worthy to wear the Red?

Answer me that Houllier, Answer me that.

Goodluck boys, YNWA. :(

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
More rubbish.

We go through the same thing every year with people complaining about this or that youth player being released and everyone moaning about it being "a disgrace" and "they should be given a chance".

BUT

Give me the names of some of the youngsters we've released in the past that have gone on to actually make it. A case in point would be Neil Prince, there was uproar when he was released, supporters were going nuts about how much of a disgrace it was that we were releasing such a promising player.

Where is he now?

Las t I heard he failed to impress during a trial at Torquay and didn't earn a contract.

So before rattling off the usualy vitriol take a step back and think about it, it happens every year with every manager, and very rarely are they ever proved wrong.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its not a case of 1 player relased after the season ended.

Its a mass clearout of 11-15 players after millions and millions spent on the youth setup.

Considering Ged's poor judgement of players bought in the transfer market, I can hardly consider him a first class choice in choosing who he really wants in his team.

However yeah, no youth players ever made the grade since Gerrard made his debut and under Ged, those lot won't either and its best if they move on.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
So you would be happy to keep all the young players for sentimentality instead of just keeping those in with a chance.

D

·
0 Posts
do you think Houllier has ever done anything wrong??

Houllier is ruining the club, every day he stays at the club things get worse. The academy might as well be abolished, because no players from the academy will ever make the first team while that muppet is in charge.

I suppose you have some excuse for last's night disaster??

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
What the hell are Massie, Gillespie and Harrison being released for ? FFS there third in the league, Gillespie is top scorer, Harrison is a talented young keeper who with the injuries was getting included in matchday squads.

CardiffRed stop it, it's getting quite pathetic and embaressing.Obviously havent heard of Kevin Nolan who got cut in 96 and has scored more goals than any of our forwards this year.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
So we have a total of 1 player and that was during Evans stint as manager.

For all the whining you lot are doing not one of you has come up with anything to counter the fact that he hasn't got it wrong releasing young players up to now so if he's let them go he's done it for a reason.

D

·
0 Posts
He has got it wrong, he's releasing homegrown players and replacing them with hugely expensive no talent foreigners. He's wasting the clubs money at the double now!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
So you'd be happy if it was British players that were not good enough but not Foreign players?

D

·
0 Posts
how do we know if the british players are not good enough if he never gives them a chance to mature of develop properly?

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Only person i know that doesnt want to give youth a go anyway, this making excuses out of love is pathetic.

I want to ask you a straight question, Do you think Gerard Houllier should be managing Liverpool FC ? And do you think he should continue to manage Liverpool FC.

Yes or No will do.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Look back through the years at all the youth players touted as promising.

Look back at all the names supporters demanded be offered a new contract because they were better than the foreigners we already had.

Now look at where they are now, how many are in the Premiership (Kevin Nolan, 1) How many are even in the first division?

Off the top of my head the only players who's name I've heard since they've left are Ian Dunbavin who went to play for Shrewsbury, a couple of strikers at Portvale and Bury and Neil Prince who I don't think even has a club.

Those are the players who last season you would have been saying "how do we know if they are good enough or not".

The simple answer is we don't know, the staff at Liverpool obviously do given the record.

D

·
0 Posts
Players will develop differently at different clubs. A player is going to develop quicker at a top club, due to facilities, quality of players around him etc, than he would at a lower league team.

Gerard Houllier is ruining Liverpool from top to bottom. FACT

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I completely agree with CardiffRed, this year is no different from any other. Why the big deal? Mindy, you said 'its not a case of 1 player relased after the season ended', true, it's not. It never is. 10-15 players and more get released every year.

Every year across the country hundreds of youngsters are released by Premiership clubs and others, this year is no different. The best players at this age already playing in the reserves like Foy, Potter and especially Raven who has the most potential of the lot, imo.

It is harsh that the club has to break so many hearts every year but that's life. If you're a young aspiring YTS at a Premiership club hoping to go pro then the you know for a fact that you've got an incredibly slim chance of making into the first XI. You know that if worst comes to worst you'll be playing in the conference but most of them end up in Division Three and quite a few of the better ones go onto Tranmere or Chester.

Like CR, Kevin Nolan in the only name that springs to mind that has made it in the Premiership. Every team makes some mistakes, look at Matty Upson at Birmingham. He was never given a proper look-in but he's gone on to prove them wrong and play for England. Robbie Savage was released from Man. Utd, Muzzy Izzet was released from Chelsea.

Not just Houllier, but all the coaches know a hell of a lot more about the youngsters than we do and you must know this is nothing out of the ordinary.

·
Winter is Coming.
8,130 Posts
True, we don't know all the facts, and I for one have never seen the Reserves play. But cutting a whole team?

Its true, every year hundreds are released, its the harsh harsh reality of the world. Lets just hope Gerard got this one right.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Although I agree with both points of view, I must say it's quite extrordinary to find that the top scorer has been released.

I don't have a problem with a youth clearout, it saves money on contracts, but at least keep the players who have performed well and come reccomended by the youth team coach.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
But cutting a whole team?
They aren't cutting the whole team, they have dropped 6 or 7 players. Another 4 or 5 are being promoted to Melwood.

A number of the U17's will now move to the U19's, and the new YTS lads to the U17's.

It's the way it works, the way it has always work.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
And in answer to your question KOTK YES unless you can explain the benefit in sacking a coach with a quarter of the season remaining.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
From the Offal...

Liverpoolfc.tv can confirm that seven of this season's under-19 squad will be released by the club at the end of the current campaign.

Paul Harrison, Steven Gillespie, Adam Flynn, Andrew Wright and Jason Massie will not be offered new contracts when their Academy scholarships come to an end in the summer, while Stephen Vaughan and Mark Smyth will have their professional contracts terminated.

No decision on the future of Chris Butler, who has missed the majority of this season through injury, will be taken until he has resumed full fitness and been assessed by the coaching staff at Melwood.

All the boys were informed of the sad news earlier this week and they will be given the chance to impress watching scouts from other clubs at the forthcoming Academy exit trials.

David Raven and Darren Potter are already training at Melwood on a full-time basis and will be retained

----------------

----------

Ok 7 is still a leser figure then 11 but still the star players will be released.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts