Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We heard of many "private" meeting Crag had with Mancio. Now, it appears that they did not talk about private issues only.

Mancini likely to replace Zac next week Posted April 30, 2002 - 10:15 by Mattias

Roberto Mancini has moved closer to the Lazio job after winning praise from capital President Sergio Cragnotti.

With the club set to miss out on a place in the Champions’ League, current boss Alberto Zaccheroni is expected to be axed this summer. And Cragnotti has hinted that Mancio could be his replacement.

"I admire and value Roberto as a Coach," Cragnotti revealed. "His footballing ideas are very close to mine. At the minute I have to respect our club structure but we will wait and see what happens."

Cragnotti has already held a number of talks with former Samp and Lazio star Mancini in the past few weeks, where it is believed that they held discussions regarding next season.

The Lazio fans, who adore Mancio, have constantly asked for Zaccheroni to be fired after he failed to turn things around at the club since replacing Dino Zoff earlier this season.

Despite a decent run of form up to Christmas, the New Year brought inconsistency and a 5-1 loss to deadly rivals Roma in the derby was the last straw for many of the Olimpico faithful.

Cragnotti yesterday suggested that changing Coach again would not necessarily be the best solution for the club but admitted that it could occur this summer.

"I think we will stick with this Coach (Zaccheroni) but, of course, everything can change very quickly in football and sometimes you have to make important decisions in an instant."

Should Mancini sign for the club, he’s expected to bring along with him both Enrico Chiesa and young stopper Emiliano Moretti.

Both players served Mancini at Fiorentina before he resigned earlier this season.

Mancio has word potential written all over his face. But is he there yet?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Maybe he isn't there yet, but he just can get there if he is 'allowed' to take the first step one time. And if that means coaching Lazio, that's more than ok with me.

Like you said, Aca: He has potential and in my opinion he only needs the chance to develop it. What he already has in Lazio's case is the respect of both players and fans, which is really important and lacking with our current coach.

I think appointing Mancini as the new coach will be taking a very good opportunity.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Well- at Dailysoccer.com they say that the contract for next season has already been signed... with an option for extension.

I sincerely hope that's bull as it would be... shall we say... up for debate whether that is the right way to back up all Cragnotti's statements on Sunday's game being a must win.

On the other hand- if the squad disaprove of Zac, then maybe the certainty of having a new coach next season will inspire them to fight for an UEFA spot.

Well- I'm reaching here ;), but I'm sure it's understandable why.

Ciao.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glen said:
Well- I'm reaching here ;), but I'm sure it's understandable why.

Ciao.
:D

Some ppl say that Nesta has a problem with Zac & that Lazio players in general have no warm feelings for him. And considering that Crag's words are usually not cast in stone....;)

Although i like Mancio very much, i believe that he lacks experience to take the team to the top. He had a great tutor & he's a great Laziale....couple of years with Sampdoria or something in Seria B would do hime good

(and I'm sure Amo would agree with me on this:D, right Amo?;))

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Nausiating.

:(

Let's imagine Zac's tactical instructions before this Sundays game... "Well guys, I don't really give a feck. Do you want to try and win for UEFA or stay with the Inter Toto ? If you don't want the Inter Toto then you can always just decline like Atalanta did. There will be some cases of Bira Moretti in the dressing room after the game and I suggest you stay a while. I might get funny cause I wanna get as drunk as Pericles on a bad day."

Seems Cecco and Reale won't be needing their ladders after all :( .

Ciao.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All papers: Mancini to Lazio Posted May 1, 2002 - 10:08 by Mattias

There shouldn't be any doubts any longer. Roberto Mancini will coach Lazio next season. Several different sources have confirmed the news, and since Monday, after the defeat against Bologna, all the Italian papers are reporting that Roberto Mancini will coach Lazio.

Mancini should have signed for one season, with an option for a second season. Cragnotti do not want to risk anything with any coach now, until he see the results he is hoping for.

But Mancini should have asked the president to confirm three players that he believes in especially much, Claudio Lopez, Simone Inzaghi and Gaizka Mendieta.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I hope Mancini can help the players sort out their problems.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Glen said:
Let's imagine Zac's tactical instructions before this Sundays game... "Well guys, I don't really give a feck. Do you want to try and win for UEFA or stay with the Inter Toto ? If you don't want the Inter Toto then you can always just decline like Atalanta did. There will be some cases of Bira Moretti in the dressing room after the game and I suggest you stay a while. I might get funny cause I wanna get as drunk as Pericles on a bad day."
:D :D :D

well, judging from the performances so far under Dr Zac, that seems to be what he's been saying ahead of every game ;)

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
39,158 Posts
Glen said:
Seems Cecco and Reale won't be needing their ladders after all
It seems we have a secret visitor at LWF ;)

Personally I'm not sure another change of coach will do the team much good. Even if it is a Lazio hero such a Mancini. It will mean another playing style, tactic, formation, new players, new coach's favorites etc. etc. In other words more unstability for a team that has had more than enough of that in the past season already.

I'm not a fan of Zac, but I doubt Lazio's bad performance this season can be blamed on him. At the start of the season we had Zoff and also under him we didn't get good results. So is it two great coaches that couldn't achieve results... or is it a group of unmotivated, overpayed, spoiled, lazy players that couldn't achieve results?

I hope Mancini can be the coach who can bring about the change we badly need. I'm not sure of his coaching capabilities, he was a great player... but can he be a great coach? Fiorentina anyone??

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Zac wants future clarity Wednesday 1 May, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lazio boss Alberto Zaccheroni wants talks with club officials as speculation that he will be replaced by Roberto Mancini continues.

The former Milan Coach is believed to be on the verge of getting the chop just eight months after replacing Dino Zoff at the Olimpico outfit.

"My job is on the line? The club says no but I think it is a necessity to arrange a meeting and clarify what the future plans are," he said.

"The club is aware of what I feel has gone wrong and what needs to be changed."

Zac has never really proved himself with the Roman outfit as their inconsistency has seen them arrive at the last day of the season needing to beat Inter to qualify for a place in Europe.

Although Cragnotti and his board have maintained on numerous occasions that the ex-Udinese maestro will remain for next season, reports suggest otherwise.

The latest stories claim that former Viola boss Mancini has already signed a two-year deal with the capital outfit.

The former Lazio and Samp star is believed to have met with Cragnotti at the President’s Montepulciano residence to iron out details.

Former Lazio ‘keeper Fernando Orsi is a contender to become Mancio’s goalkeeping Coach with ex-Biancocelesti stopper Angelo Gregucci lined up to be Mancini’s No 2.

His proposed appointment could be made official as soon as next week.

channel4

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Mancio to keep Lopez and Mendieta Thursday 2 May, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roberto Mancini’s likely appointment as Lazio boss will see Claudio Lopez and Gaizka Mendieta stay at the club.

The two former Valencia teammates were expected to be sold by the Olimpico outfit this summer after failing to come to terms with Serie A football.

But speculation suggests that Mancini, who has reportedly already signed a one-year deal with an option for a second, has asked President Sergio Cragnotti to take the pair off the market.

Argentine Lopez was almost certain to be heading back to Spain with newly promoted Atletico Madrid highly interested in the attacker.

The Spanish capital outfit were also linked with a move for Mendieta (pictured) but their bid was nowhere near the £29m that Lazio splashed out last summer for the player.

Another star that Mancio has specifically asked to remain is striker Simone Inzaghi who had been of interest to Milan. However, he may still be sold in a bid to raise cash for transfer funds.

Primary objectives remain Man Utd’s Juan Sebastian Veron who could return to the Biancocelesti and Juventus’ Edgar Davids who is expected to be sold by the Delle Alpi outfit.

Meanwhile, director Massimo Cragnotti – son of Sergio – has confirmed that next season’s Lazio will still have Alessandro Nesta and Hernan Crespo.

"We’ll start from Nesta and Crespo," he said. "We are not going to go mad on the transfer front but will be very careful. We need players with character and personality."

channel4

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess it's official now.

Zac to return to Udinese Posted May 2, 2002 - 16:44 by Mattias

Following the news that Alberto Zaccheroni will step down as Lazio coach at the end of the season, he has now been linked with a return to former club Udinese.

Roberto Mancini has been confirmed as the Biancocelesti's new boss meaning Zac is out of a job after a disappointing season in Serie A.

Udinese, meanwhile, don't seem particularly keen on retaining the services of Giampiero Ventura after the club only narrowly avoided relegation to Serie B.

Instead, they have designs on reinstating Zaccheroni as coach. The 49-year-old led the club to an amazing third place finish back in 1998 and the job may appeal if he wants to get back into management quickly.

soccerage

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.