1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
www.onefootball.com

Allback leaves Sweden camp to seal Villa move

Saturday 18th May 2002

Sweden forward Marcus Allback travelled to Birmingham on Saturday to tie up his £2 million move to Aston Villa.

"It feels right," he explained. "Villa are a big club with fine traditions and Olof Mellberg has only had good things to say about them."

Allback was expected to agree a three-year contract with an option for a further season, provided he passes a medical.

He is available from Heerenveen for a knockdown £2 million owing to a release clause in his contract. Former club Orgryte will get around £250,000 as part of the deal.

Villa have beaten Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Feyenoord and PSV Eindhoven to the 28-year-old.

"The manager Graham Taylor really wants me. It's a security factor when it's the manager who buys you and I think I have a good chance of becoming a regular in the side," he told Expressen.

Allback explained that he wanted his future settled now so he could concentrate on the World Cup.

"It feels good," he said. "I've got three big things this spring. I became a father, I'll play in the World Cup and I knew I would eventually switch clubs.

"The birth went well and now, if everything goes through with Aston Villa, I can focus on Asia."

Allback played for 65 minutes as Sweden lost their 18-game unbeaten run against Paraguay on Friday and the striker insisted he didn't do himself justice. "I can do much better," he said.

I know it's not the most reliable source but several reliable Dutch sources report it too :)

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
It has now been comfirmed by the biggest news paper in Sweden, Aftonbladet, that Allbäck is moving to Villa for 3 years for 30 million SEK.

I think this was the right step for Allbäck to take, the EPL will show us what he's really made of, unlike Larsson he's brave enuff to try his wings in ruff wind :excited:

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
How come Rivaldo? I mean moving from the dutch league to the EPL must be a step forward, right?

·
Legend
12,328 Posts
Will he play then? I have a memory of that Aston Villa only uses one striker in their formation. Now which striker is that???

Juan Pablo Angel!

The only way of Allbäck to find some playing time is if Aston Villa switches tactics and uses two strikers.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I reckon that Villa didn't do very well last season. Atleast they didn't live up to the expectations. So buying Allbäck could be a sign that they're about to change strategy, so he might be playing along with Angel in the attack.

·
Legend
12,328 Posts
I don´t know. Aston Villa kinda play with one top striker and one player that lies right behind and a bit to the left. If they would change into a 2 men pure attack without any support strikers, then they already have their two strikers that are both better than Allbäck.

I have mentioned Angel already whom Allbäck can never bench. Do you guys know the other striker? Darius Vassell! He is with the NT now and are gonna be in the WC for England.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Angel will certainly leave so i guess it will be Vassel/Allbäck on top if they decide to play with 2 forwards.

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Jimmy said:

I have mentioned Angel already whom Allbäck can never bench. Do you guys know the other striker? Darius Vassell! He is with the NT now and are gonna be in the WC for England.
Angel hasnt had a very good season and also, he's leaving ;)
Even if he was in the team I think Allbäck stand a very good chance putting him on the bench.
I reckon Vassel-Allbäck will be leathal next season.

He definetely did the right move and Aston Villa is a team with big potential...I see them, with the signing of a natural goalscorer(Mackan), they will end up in some of the top10 positions next season. :)

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Jimmy said:
We´ll see. ;) I atleast believe he will be benched or flop as a goalscorer. :)
Atleast it's good that your positive! ;) :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Cracker said:
How come Rivaldo? I mean moving from the dutch league to the EPL must be a step forward, right?
yes I now but,he deserved to be in a more competitve team than Villa,I would have rather prefer the move to Rangers but anyways I wich him the best of the lucks,and hope he improve the team with Mellberg:) .

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Well, from what I know and what I've heard here it seems Villa has good enuff competition.
I doubt Allbäck will be as successfull as Ljungberg and the competition, not only in Villa, but the entire EPL is huge when it comes to strikers.
But lets hope for the best, eh Jimmy ;):rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts