Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
IMHO, the best are :

Goolies: amadeo carrizo (among the best ever), ubaldo matildo "el pato" filiol and antonio roma.

def: silvio marzolini, roberto perfumo, daniel passarella, walter samuel, osacr ruggeri, javier zanetti, juan pablo sorin.

mids: alfredo rojas (boca jrs legend and maradonas idol), ardiles, diego maradona, hector enrique, jorge burruchaga, norberto alonso, .

fow: angel labruna, "el charro" moreno, alfredo distefano, rene houseman, mario empes, gabriel batistuta.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorin???? Is he that good?? He seem to go forward more than defending. What about Ayala? Sensini?

I tok Sergio Goycochea will make the list.

Claudio Caniggia should be considered as well as he and Maradona took them to the final in 1990.

Didn't Alfredo Di Stefano convert into Spanish citizen already????

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
My all time Argentine list is as following:

IMHO, the best are :

Goal keepers: Sergio Goykochea, Pompido.

Defenders: Daniel passarella, Javier Zanetti,Oscar Ruggeri, Roberto Ayala, Oscar Samuel.

Midfielders: Diego Maradona, Juan Sebastian Veron, Jorge Burruchaga, Aimar, Diego Simeone, Ariel Ortega .

Strikers: Gabriel Omar batistuta, Claudio Paul Caniggia, Hernan Crespo.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I like this team...I'll look to put one together as well.

batigold said:
IMHO, the best are :

Goolies: amadeo carrizo (among the best ever), ubaldo matildo "el pato" filiol and antonio roma.

def: silvio marzolini, roberto perfumo, daniel passarella, walter samuel, osacr ruggeri, javier zanetti, juan pablo sorin.

mids: alfredo rojas (boca jrs legend and maradonas idol), ardiles, diego maradona, hector enrique, jorge burruchaga, norberto alonso, .

fow: angel labruna, "el charro" moreno, alfredo distefano, rene houseman, mario empes, gabriel batistuta.

·
Registered
605 Posts
DiStefano must be considered regardless of the fact that he went on to play for both Colombia and Spain. Same with Adolfo Pedernara... Also I think the legends of the thirties and the forties must be considered too... I think it's quite an impossible task, naming the best ever 23, considering that so many of the great players of the yesteryears have been forgotten.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Gosh, there have been plenty of players better than some of the ones bandied around here. Don't base the selection on players just from the 80's on up. Dozens of tough, skillful players have graced the blue and white since the 30's.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
well, of course its very difficult, if not impossible to select the 23 best players, but i made a try.

its hard to leave out players like cannigia, bochini, stabile, rattin, luque, gallego, valdano, redondo, etc but there must be just 23.

goycochea was vital for arg in the wc 90 but he was not that good, and not even close to carrizo.

i thought about ayala, but i was not sure about including him. the same with sensini.

btw, philander, i picked many players from the 60s and 70s.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Bati,
what about Sivori?? I used to work with an arige, and Sivori was his uncle....actually i had never heard of the guy before he told me about it!;)

And what about that legendary Boca goalie, i forgot his name. He was quite charismatic dude?? He played in that masters game in 91 in Miami against Brazil!

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Ortega? :rolleyes: :dazed: I wouldn't even start him now, let alone an all time team!

Redondo might have not achieved much in the NT, but don't know if its entirely his fault. Passarella's "cut your hair" rule was simply a silly reason to keep him out for that period, possibly his best playing years.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yea its hard to compare over the generations. There's not a whole lot of good footage of Destefano etc. The only time I've seen Antonio Rattin anywhere was when they show his ejection during the 66 England game. I must say that the players back then were tougher when you take into account the rougher way it was played and referreed, the one sub rule and the cavalier way they would step onto the field without guards and the socks rolled down.

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
Vampire Lestat said:
Redondo might have not achieved much in the NT, but don't know if its entirely his fault. Passarella's "cut your hair" rule was simply a silly reason to keep him out for that period, possibly his best playing years.
A popular misconception. Passarella did have the short hair rule, which many, including most famously Bati, complied with. However, Caniggia was allowed to play without cutting his hair. It was entirely Redondo's decision not to play. He did the same thing prior to the Passarella era and also refused a call up from Bielsa. His reasons remain inexplicable.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Ze da Fiel said:
Bati,
what about Sivori?? I used to work with an arige, and Sivori was his uncle....actually i had never heard of the guy before he told me about it!;)

And what about that legendary Boca goalie, i forgot his name. He was quite charismatic dude?? He played in that masters game in 91 in Miami against Brazil!
Good call, Ze.
About Redondo, regardless of his love/hate relationship with various National coaches, he has to be considered because of his performances in 94 and also for his perfomances with Madrid. If only National team performances are considered neither Sivori or DiStefano would make the cut although the latter was part of the Copa winning team sometimes in the late forties or early fifties, I'm not sure exactly when.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Omar Sivori was a great player. He played for 3 seasons with River Plate before moving to Italy. He spent most of his time with Juventus and a few seasons with Napoli. He won several Serie A titles with Juventus and along with a few Italian Cups. He was also the European footballer of the year in 1961 and the top scorer in the Serie A in either 1959 or 1960. He also won several titles with River Plate befrore joining Juventus.

Sivori played about 20 times for Argentina and about 9 or 10 times for Italy.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Ze da Fiel said:
What about the boca keeper, what is his name that i forgot?:confused: ;)
ze, his name is hugo orlando "el loco (the crazy man)" gatti.
he was a great keeper and is one of the most popular of argie football. he had a very particular personality, and was a very risky golie. he was like the rene higuita of the 60 s and 70s. now you understand why he is called el loco.
i remember one anecdot. gatti was playing for boca and maradona was still playing in argentinos jrs. boca had to play argentinos jrs for the local tournament, and gatti said before the match "that fatty (maradona) will not score a single goal". well, diego scored 3 goals, including one by a free kick.

he never got to be "the golie" of the NT. roma and filliol were always above him in the NT..

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
batigold,

That's right..I've read about Gatti's comments prior to the match between Boca and Argentinos Juniors..I think Maradona ended up scoring four goals in that match!

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Yeah, that's the one!;)

Are they friends today?:confused:

But anwyay,
just for the note, the best keeper i have seen play in my life time was Fillol.

Do you guys remember in 84 , packed Maracana, Brazil x Argentina.....it ended 0x0 and their were about 4 free kicks that Eder had a go at it, and Fillol went to get everything in the top corner!:fero: :fero: :devil: ;)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Good that it wasnt Cavallero then.

I guess it would ended 4-0 . 4 free kicks for Eder. :D

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Geez, I dunno much abt Argentina squad back in the 40s and 50s. Maybe u guys could enrich mi abt Argentina great player in those era.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts