Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 7380 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Barca plan Emerson swoop? Sunday 6 July, 2003

Roma midfielder Emerson is again being linked with a summer move to fallen giants Barcelona.

New Barca President Joan Laporta has stated that he is ready to break the bank for a quality playmaker and the Brazilian could be his target.

"We have the need for a charismatic leader in the middle of the park to be the heir to Josep Guardiola," said Laporta.

"We need a quality midfielder with a winning mentality who is disciplined both on and off the pitch.

"For a player like this, we are even willing to spend more than the transfer budget we have set ourselves."

The Giallorossi have often claimed that Emerson – along with Francesco Totti and Walter Samuel – are not for sale at any price.

However, reports suggest that if the Nou Camp outfit make a mega-offer then it may be too good to turn down.

Emerson has established himself as a fans’ favourite at the Stadio Olimpico since his year 2000 move from Bayer Leverkusen.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Is it too much to ask to put the bullshit in the bullshit thread rather than smearing it allover our walls???:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,070 Posts
Diet Coke likes to post bad news rumors in their own thread to get more attention.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Roma option attracts Grygera Monday 7 July, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Czech Republic international Zdenek Grygera has opened the door for Roma to complete his signing.

The defender has been strongly linked with Juventus in the past but a capital move may now be on the horizon.

"They are a famous club thanks to their amazing players," the 23-year-old told the ‘Corriere dello Sport’ newspaper.

"As a defender I have always admired the likes of former players Aldair and Marcos Cafu. Then they have brilliant strikers such as Francesco Totti and Vincenzo Montella.

"I don’t know Coach Fabio Capello personally but he is an icon of world football. Where ever he has gone he has always won."

The Sparta Prague player admitted that he has had interest from a number of European clubs but says he is keen on a switch to Serie A.

"A few Spanish and English sides have been in touch but I’ve spoken to my friend Pavel Nedved (Juventus) and he recommends Italian football," he explained.

"He said that my characteristics would be suited here. I usually play as a full-back but I haven’t got a problem with playing in the centre."

Speculation suggests that Roma transfer wizard Franco Baldini is set to start talks with Grygera this week.

Roma are looking for a new defender after Chievo’s Nicola Legrottaglie joined Juventus and Bayer Leverkusen’s Lucio rejected an Olimpico switch.

channel4

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
After missing out on Lucio, we have found our new targets, which is much, much better than that nochalant brazilian:

07/08/2003. AS Roma general manager Franco Baldini is reportedly in Amsterdam to define the acquisition of Ajax defender Christian Chivu.

And this just as Italian daily La Gazzetta dello Sport was reporting that Bayer Leverkusen's Lucio had accepted the club's offer of 3 million euros a year. However, the German outfit are said to have upped their asking price to 20 million.

Therefore Roma could sway towards Chivu with the hope of getting a discount on long-time target Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

"Yesterday morning I had said that Chivu was 90% sure to be remaining at Ajax, in the evening the percentage has come down a lot, evidently something has happened," said Chivu's Italian agent Andrea Pretti.
SA Italy

This is definately good news! If we could get Chivu and Zlatan, there is no doubt about it: We could win the scudetto again, and also the Uefa cup!!

·
On Planet Z
6,520 Posts
Hey, what happened to the 8-mile long Carson-generated transfer rumours thread? :confused:
De-NIS! :tongue: ;)

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
ATTENTION PEOPLE!!!!!!

07/08/2003. Christian Chivu's Italian-based agent Andrea Pretti has exclusively revealed to SoccerAge.com sister site Rete that AS Roma are very close to signing his client.

"I am indeed optimistic," he said. "I am in constant contact with Amsterdam, where my colleague Becali, the Romanian agent of Chivu, finds himself.

"If something unexpected doesn't occur, the deal will be reached within half an hour. Baldini is in Amsterdam, and I think that Ajax, shortly, should release an official statement. If the deal doesn't go through, but I don't believe it will, there won't be other talks."

And on Ajax's official site, coach Ronald Koeman said: "Of course it is a pity that Cris is leaving Ajax, but I think we should not try to stop him now. Cris leaves great memories behind with Ajax. Ajax is working hard at Chivu's succession and I have complete faith in that succession."

Ajax's managing director Arie van Eijden, added: "Let me make one thing very clear: Ajax wanted to continue with Chivu. But Cris himself wanted to go to AS Roma and then you know that in the end you cannot keep him with our club."
Alberto Masu

YES!!!!! FOOORZA ROOOMAAA!!!!!

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Capello wants Morientes swoop Tuesday 8 July, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roma boss Fabio Capello has urged his club to make a bid for Real Madrid forward Fernando Morientes.

The player has been linked with a summer switch to the Giallorossi and the tactician is rather keen on his services.

"Morientes is a player of great value," the tactician is quoted as saying. "He proves that point by playing for Spain even though he doesn’t get a regular game at Real."

The youngster is often left on the bench in the Spanish capital as Ronaldo and Raul get the first team shirts at the Bernabeu.

However, reports from Spain suggest that Morientes, who still has another three years on his current deal, is likely to remain.

Morientes has also been linked with a switch to Spurs in the past but that isn’t likely to happen after they signed Helder Postiga from Porto.

Meanwhile, Capello has again insisted that his immediate future is with his current club despite links with Chelsea.

"These types of rumours are pleasing to hear but I am just thinking about Roma for the time being," he added.

channel4

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
July 8, 2003

Dacourt set for Boro?
Olivier Dacourt could be returning to England after all. Speculation in the local Middlesbrough press suggests that the French midfielder could be snapped up by Boro. Roma missed a payment deadline and may be forced to give Dacourt back to Leeds.

channel4

·
Registered
23 Posts
I hope this is just a rumor about Dacourt going back to the Premier League............ we really need him in Rome!!!!!!

I am with you 100% Totti!!!!!!! With Chivu and Ibra nobody is going to stop AS Roma!!!!!!!!

GO!!!!!!! GO!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Uff, that's terrible news about Dacourt... We really need him. I categorise him as a hard warking midfielder with excellent technique, balance and shots. He showed his worth at the end of last season. Get him, get Grygera and get a striker, and I'm eternally pleased!

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
07/09/2003. AS Roma are set to discuss a move for Real Madrid striker Fernando Morientes.

The chances of an exchange for Walter Samuel look finished as the Giallorossi have always maintained that the Argentine is not for sale, while Madrid are on the verge of signing Gabriel Milito from Independiente.

The two clubs had previously reached a deal over Morientes, but at that time the player did not want to move. But now, after a season spent mainly on the bench, he is more likely to fancy a new challenge.

The deal, if one materialises, would see Morientes move on loan do Roma, with the Italians having the option of making the move permanent.
Stewart Coggin

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
07/09/2003. Fernando Morientes will have to take a 30 per cent pay cut if he is to complete a one-year loan to Italian giants Roma.

The beleaguered Real Madrid forward is desperate to leave the Bernabeu after a torrid season that saw him complete only one game last season.

Negotiations between the two clubs is due to begin on Friday with Roma already telling Madrid that they cannot afford the player's €17million price tag.

Madrid are set to accept the offer of the Serie A side taking the Spanish international on loan, but will have to persuade Morientes himself to take a 30 per cent pay cut.

Having spent €18million on securing Cristian Chivu from Ajax and paying Leeds €6million for Olivier Dacourt, the Roma piggy bank is almost empty.

But coach Fabio Capello knows that his forward line still needs strengthening and looks set to finally complete his long chase for Morientes.

Lucas Brown
---------------------------------------------

Seems like I've taken over carson's job!:D
But I think there's a lot of realism in this rumour!

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
07/10/2003. AS Roma president Franco Sensi has insisted that the club will not sign players just to please the press, after being linked with Real Madrid's Fernando Morientes.

"We won't be buying the attacking players the press wants us to sign," he said. "We'll make our own decisions."

And on new signing Christian Chivu, he added: "People are saying that the signing of Chivu is a major move but I don't think it is. It's a normal and natural buy for a club of this status."

Meanwhile, Roma are said to have an option on Auxerre striker Djibril Cisse and may make a move for the player in the near future.

The list of names who could be heading out of the Olimpico this summer include Marco Delvecchio, Leandro Cufrè, Luigi Sartor, Davide Bombardini and Gianni Guigou.
SA Italy

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Roma dismiss Morientes link Thursday 10 July, 2003

Roma chief Franco Sensi has raised doubts over whether his club are targeting Fernando Morientes.

The Real Madrid man has been linked with a summer switch to the capital but the Giallorossi chief has hinted that he is of no interest.

"We are looking to sign a centre forward," admitted the President. "Morientes? We¡¦ll choose who to sign, not the media."

A striker is now the club¡¦s major objective on the transfer market after they brought in defender Christian Chivu.

"People are saying that the signing of Chivu is a major move but I don¡¦t think it is," added Sensi. "It is a normal and natural buy for a club of this status."

The capital side turned their attention to the Romanian after they missed out on Nicola Legrottaglie and Lucio. But Sensi maintains that he is happy to have landed the youngster.

"We voluntarily made a move for the player," he explained. "We lost Legrottaglie to Juventus because that is how the market works.

"Sometimes that is the way negotiations turn out. As for Lucio that was different. But we¡¦re happy with Chivu."

When asked whether Roma could now fight for the Scudetto again, Sensi was remaining hopeful.

"We won¡¦t have any more excuses now," he added. "We were already very competitive last season as we had a great squad."

The Giallorossi only finished eighth in the last campaign after the side failed to find any sort of consistency.

channel4

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Roma secure Dacourt deal Friday 11 July, 2003

Olivier Dacourt is officially a Roma player after the club agreed a £3.5m deal with Leeds United.

The Frenchman has signed a three-year deal in the capital after impressing during his six-month loan spell last season.

Dacourt was expected to remain with the Giallorossi but it has taken months for an agreement to be ironed out.

A fee of around £4.5m was believed to have been agreed last January but the Italian side have managed to reduce the Elland Road club’s asking price.

The fee will be paid in four instalments over a two-year period. The first is due in nine days time.

The former Everton and Lens man will net himself around £2m a season, before tax, in wages.

Dacourt becomes Roma’s second signing in two days after the capital outfit secured the services of Christian Chivu from Ajax.

Meanwhile, Roma have broken off contact with Bayer Leverkusen for Brazilian defender Lucio.

channel4

1 - 20 of 7380 Posts