Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The season has come to a closed and this will give us a chance to see who are the best of La Liga

-------------------------Canizares

Puyol-----------Coloccini-----Ayala-----R.Carlos

Joaquin--------Mostovoi-----Zidane---Valeron

----------Tristan------------------Catanha

Honorable Mention:

Prats (GK) Betis
Nadal (D) Maollorca
Luis Enrique (M) Barca
Kluivert (F) Barca
Saviola (F) Barca
Denilson (M) Betis
Molina (GK) Deport
Tamudo (F) Espanyol
Dely Valdes (F) Malaga
Luque (F) Mallorca
Makelele (M) Real Madrid
Raul (F) Real Madrid
Solari (M) Real Madrid
Baraja (M) Valencia
Urzaiz (F) Bilbao

Coach: Rafa Benitez, Valencia
President: Orti, Valencia

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I agree completely with almost every selection there,except I would put Baraja over Mostovoi for his late season heroics but your choices is respected. I think you and I where at the same inclusion to put Ayala in CD as there doesn't seem to be another person but Hierro to fill that and since we are both Madridista's, it would seem biased. I think some more Players to add to that list:
Ruben Navarro(Alaves)
Tiko,Yeste(Bilbao)
Jorge Lopez(Villareal)
Fernando(Valladolid)
Romero (Deportivo)
Ibgaza(Mallorca)
Marioni(Tenerife)
Edu(Celta)

Maybe I was a bit biased on Spanish players but these guys honestly where good.

M

·
0 Posts
G:Canizares
D:Roberto Carlos
D:Colocinni
D:Ayala
D:puyol
M:Baraja
M:Xavi
M:Valeron
M:Makelele
F:Diego Tristan
F:Saviola

R:Tamudo
R:Albelda
R:Navarro
R:Joaquin
R:Luque

·
Registered
526 Posts
Everybody seems to be posting a 4-4-2 lineup. I'll do a little different and put in a 3-5-2 as I believe the best position in La Liga is midfield. Might as well give them the most spots.

GK: Cañizares
D:Roberto Carlos
D: Ayala
D: Puyol
M: Victor Salas
M: Baraja
M: Mostovoi
M: Valeron
M: Joaquin
F: Tristan
F: Kluivert

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
I'm gonna single out some players from every team, and then add it up:

VALENCIA

Ayala
Rufete
Canizares
Aimar
Ruben Baraja
Albelda

DEPORTIVO LA CORUNA

Diego Tristan
Valeron
Mauro Silva
Naybet
Victor Sanchez

REAL MADRID

Makelele
Zidane
Solari

FC BARCELONA

Puyol
Saviola
Kluivert

CELTA VIGO

Mostovoi
Vagner
Luccin
Edu

REAL BETIS

Denilson
Joaquin
Capi
Toni Prats

ALAVES

Colocinni

SEVILLA

Gallardo
Jose Antonio Reyes
Casquero
Victor Salas

MALAGA

Dario Silva
Miguel Angel
'Kiki' Musampa
Pedro Contreras

ATHLETIC BILBAO

Urzaiz
Yeste
Tiko
Oscar Vales

RAYO VALLECANO

Corino
Peragon
Michel

REAL VALLADOLID

Fernando Fernandez
Fernando Sales
Sergio Pachon

REAL SOCIEDAD

Tayfun
Xabi Alonso
De Pedro

ESPANYOL

Raul Tamudo
Palencia
De Lucas

VILLARREAL

Arruabarena
Jorge Lopez
Victor

MALLORCA

Marcos
Campano
Luque
Alvaro Novo

OSASUNA

Ivan Rosado

LAS PALMAS

Jorge
Nacho Gonzalez

TENERIFE

Julio Iglesias
Lussenhoff

REAL ZARAGOZA

X

My best 11:

GK: Contreras
DL: Arruabarena
DC: Ayala
DR: Puyol
DM: Vagner
DM: Ruben Baraja
LM: Denilson
RM: Joaquin
MC: Valeron
FW: Solari
ST: Diego Tristan

* Solari as the support striker, when in reality he's a left winger, but decided to include both him and Denilson in one team. Denilson plays the support role for Brazil, so I guess you can risk a tactic like this;) Just like Juanele, it's a 3-5-2 tactic.

Substitutes:

Canizares
Makelele
Corino
Gallardo
Saviola

I tried to make this a more all around La Liga squad, not just concentrating on the top 4 or 5 teams, and I think I've succeeded in doing that. Only 1 Real player in the 1st squad, and 1 on the bench, but this is because I believe their great performances were particularly in the ChL (no way I would've ommited Zidane in that case).
Other than that a pretty balanced squad, and the only real dilemma I had was wether to put Denilson or Solari on the left wing - in the end I decided I couldn't leave either one out, so I sort of forced both in. If not for that, the support striker role would've been handed to Saviola who is on the bench (although I'm not too sure about this, but just didn't see any other options... Reyes completely faded away, Raul the same... Aimar only had a spectacular 2nd half of the season. Kluivert? 5 goals in one game, and then all those misses chances... nah:eek:)
In the end, I'm proud of my team, cause I managed to include all the major teams, and their biggest players:proud:

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
labas, I was trying to be equitable with my choices, but I couldnt over look those players who seemed to have an larger impact on the season.

Since my players were all liga, I found it hard picking plyaers whose teams where relagated.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I`ll go for an ordinary 4-4-2.

Cañizares
Puyol
Ayala
Colocinni
Roberto Carlos
Joaquin
Aimar
Valeròn
Tristàn
Luque

Juanele> I can`t believe that you didn`t include Gallardo? What happend Sevillano?;)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
3-5-2 for me:

Canizares
Puyol
Colocinni
Roberto Carlos
Makelele
Baraja
Joaquin
Zidane
Valeron
Tristen
Catanha

·
Registered
526 Posts
Robban said:

Juanele> I can`t believe that you didn`t include Gallardo? What happend Sevillano?;)
LOL

As much as I like Gallardo I can't say he had a better season than Joaquin. But I did include Victor Salas who has been amazing this last half of the season. It is because of him that Sevilla won their last 4 games and almost made the UEFA Cup.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Three players I have a problem with being included:

Roberto Carlos

I am a Real fan, and even despite this, when i see him making the La Liga all star team I am dying with laughter. Such a default choice, and proves nobody gave this even a moments thought:embarass: Villarreal have had a pretty up and down season, but Arruabarrena has been simply magnificent, and overtaking Roberto Carlos is just plain academic. Damn, i'd choose David of Espanyol, Romero of Depor, and Sylvinho of Celta above our Brazilian. But hardly surprising may I add:tongue:

Catanha

King of donkeys in the all star team?:confused: Ermmm, yeah, next thing you know, Ivan Campo will be there too... this is the moron who can't score from 2 feet out, even when somebody's pushing his leg for him:eek: Nah, with all due respect, with the supply line he has down at Celta, it's unacceptable for him to score so few goals, and most of them came in streaks anyhow. An even bigger LOL than Roberto Carlos.

Colocinni

OK, he's a great talent, and really made a name for himself early on... but where has he been since January? Don't just blame the whole Alaves team for it, because they had the best defensive record up to a certain point and it all went wrong later on... Colocinni is just as guilty as Tellez, Karmona, Geli and the others:eek: I don't have a big problem with him being included though, but when Vamp chooses him above Ayala, that really is a bit ludicrous:eek:

Balens, Victor Salas?:D Come on, you could've gone with Reyes at least:tongue:

·
Registered
526 Posts
labas said:

Balens, Victor Salas?:D Come on, you could've gone with Reyes at least:tongue:
I like Reyes as well but he has been injured for a significant part of the season. And when he returned he never really settled in like before his injury. On the other hand Victor Salas has been there the whole season and has especially come on the latter part of the season. He was easily the best player in the game (either teams) in the last 6 games by Sevilla. In that period they got 14 out of a possible 18 points in that period. In fact I think he was the best player in the league in that period (Baraja of Valencia was also very good in that period as well).

I would never put Catanha in my all league team.

Also I think Coloccini is highly overrated. Every time I saw him play he was a hack. Must be an Alaves syndrom because they are an awful team.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
labas said:

[Catanha

King of donkeys in the all star team?:confused: Ermmm, yeah, next thing you know, Ivan Campo will be there too... this is the moron who can't score from 2 feet out, even when somebody's pushing his leg for him:eek: Nah, with all due respect, with the supply line he has down at Celta, it's unacceptable for him to score so few goals, and most of them came in streaks anyhow. An even bigger LOL than Roberto Carlos.

------------------------------Liga----------Cup-------Euro------Total
Catanha (Celta)--------------- 17------------ 1--------- 1--------- 19

HEHEHE, looks like you dont care for my choice of "El Borrow". Common the donkey found the net 17 times for Celta and I think that he is often times over looked by Camacho for the NT. He's rivaled Raul, Kluivert, Saviola and Morientes in La Liga this year and dosent have the supporting cast as the previous mentioned!

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Labas,

It just shows how uncovinced i was with Raul's, Moro's or Kluivert's liga season. They were just too inconsistent.

Tristen was the only guy who stood out, i am just giving Catanha credit for out scoring players who should have scored more.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Give me a break! Catanha??? Isn't this the guy that gave a interview in the middle of the season, saying if he had the support Raul or Kluivert do, he'd be scoring 30 goals per year?
Yeah, well I had the misfortune to watch his next game in the league, where he missed about 3 sitters. I don't have anything against Catanha, although I admit his naturalization process was a pharce... he's a good striker, but nothing special.
I agree Diego Tristan was the only truly outstanding striker this season (but even he had a major dip in form in january, february). Raul, Morientes, Kluivert didn't totally live up to their hype, although none played bad (far from it). Saviola has to be given credit, because despite a pretty lacklustre start (I couldn't bear watching him playing up front, scoring tap in goals, and nothing more), he then really started grinding his way into the team and the past 3 months have been top notch performances. Catanha has had maybe 3 top notch games all season:eek:
The amount of goals scored isn't the only evidence of a striker's quality!:irritate: Celta have had plenty of excellent service, as Edu and Jesuli will surely tell you (both scored near 10 goals). Catanha is a good striker, but no way is he international material, and no way does he deserve any mention for this particular season (1999/2000 at Malaga was impressive, but since then it's been downhill...).
Luque deserves more recognition, as does Raul Tamudo, Fernando Fernandez, and even Ismael Urzaiz!

I don't see any point debating this further, if anyone is truly convinced of Catanha's quality this season, well.... nevermind:D:howler:

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Labas,

Look at it this way, he was the best of the worst! :D

and honestly, under no circumstances in the planet should Catanha get more then Raul or Kluivert. The fact that he did only means i can't honestly put Raul or Kluivert up there....kind of have no choices do i? ;)

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
------------------------Canizares-----------------------
Puyol--------Ayala-------Coloccini-------R.Carlos---
-----------Makalele---------Baraja--------------------
Joaquin--------------Aimar--------------Vicente---
--------------------Tristan-------------------------------

·
Registered
526 Posts
The one thing I do agree with labas on is his opinion of Catanha. He sucks. I can't stand the guy.

This season even Kluivert has played better. Kluivert had more goals and more assists. So I'm not sure how somebody can put Catanha ahead of Kluivert at any rate.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Vamp, check out Kluivert's assist + goal ratio, and you'll respect him more... this is afterall the pathetic, hopeless Puta we're talking about. Yes, it was intended as an insult:D:devil:, but it's not completely untrue... the Barca of this season was for the most part a completely pathetic team, which couldn't do jack if they tried.
Kluivert was the one player playing fairly well throughout, and even though we all tend to laugh at the way he misses easy chances, he really excelled himself when playing as a playmaker at certain times this year.

CHoosing Catanha as the "best of the worst" really is a bit sad, because we're talking about the best league in the world here, and i can't exactly figure out how you can't find a serious alternative to the fellow.
He hasn't earned it - plain and simple. Look elsewhere, and leave your prejudice behind. What about a Urzaiz? He may not be loved, but he's done a pretty great job down at Athletic - I mean afterall, that team has nobody else playing strictly up front, so imagine them without Urzaiz:eek:

I decided to go with 1 striker, since I couldn't find anyone who would deserve it 100%:) Surely there's a better way to get out of this mess, and honor someone who deserves it, instead of going for "the best of the worst"?:eek:

Edu from Celta who's a sort os support striker deserves to be on the team more than Catanha, for Christs sake!:eek: Fernando? Aimar? Tamudo? Reyes?
Not Catanha though:D

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
How bout polls for best player in each position this year?
Here's mine anyway.

_______________Canizares
_________Ayala__________Coloccini
Puyol___________________________Carlos
_______________Makelele
Joaquin________Valeron______Denilson
______________Zidane
________Tristan______Kluivert

1 - 20 of 21 Posts