Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premier Player
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Come on! Give us your best XI for the past decade.

You can use whatever formation you like, but to keep it simple I'd suggest 4-4-2 as a strong default

Quim

Miguel-Luisao-Rocha-Leo

Poborksy-Aimar-Petit-Simao

Cardozo-Nuno Gomes

Honorable Mentions: Robert Enke, Marchena, van Hooijdonk, Geovanni, Tiago, Fernando Meira and Javier Saviola

·
Registered
4,637 Posts

You can use whatever formation you like, but to keep it simple I'd suggest 4-4-2 as a strong default

Quim

Miguel-Luisao-Rocha-Leo

Cardozo-Nuno Gomes

Honorable Mentions: Robert Enke, Marchena, van Hooijdonk, Geovanni, Tiago, Fernando Meira and Javier Saviola
Good choices, however, Poborsky left the club in 2000 so I wouldn't include him and Aimar hasn't done much yet as last year was an injury year, i'd rather put Tiago in his spot and Geo on the right.

·
Premier Player
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good choices, however, Poborsky left the club in 2000 so I wouldn't include him and Aimar hasn't done much yet as last year was an injury year, i'd rather put Tiago in his spot and Geo on the right.
I'm a huge Poborsky mark. Plus, it makes me feel good to con myself into thinking that the best rw this decade played longer than a couple of months before leaving.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts

Quim

Miguel-Luisao-Rocha-Leo

Cardozo-Nuno Gomes

I like it T. Except for 2 places. Enke miles above Quim and Rui Costa above Aimar. The latter might be sentimental for me but I still think Rui walks on water with regards to Benfica.

·
Premier Player
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If Aimar makes the team, I feel that Rui Costa and Di Maria equally can contest him for a spot.
You can put whoever you want. I should have listed Rui as an honorable mention. I wouldn't put him in the XI due to being past his prime. His acceleration was gone and was relying on pure skill alone.

Di Maria over Simao? I don't think so. You could move Simao to the right. However, Di Maria has been mostly hype and inconsistency. I'd feel strange thinking he's been one of the two best wingers over the past 10 years.

·
Premier Player
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like it T. Except for 2 places. Enke miles above Quim
I chose Quim due to Enke leaving on bad terms (His last game vs. Porto was a shitshow). His performance went way down once he knew he was leaving for Barca.

Quim has been a good soldier. Not as good as Enke at his best, but a steady presence during the back end of the decade.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
You can put whoever you want. I should have listed Rui as an honorable mention. I wouldn't put him in the XI due to being past his prime. His acceleration was gone and was relying on pure skill alone.

Di Maria over Simao? I don't think so. You could move Simao to the right. However, Di Maria has been mostly hype and inconsistency. I'd feel strange thinking he's been one of the two best wingers over the past 10 years.
Yea I understand that; I was just basing this on contribution, which is still only my opinion. I was also in no way suggesting Di Maria over Simao. Again, if I were to base my team on how much someone contributed to our team this decade, Aimar would face competition from Rui and Di Maria. I felt that those 3 had equally contributed in comparison to one another.

Rui was in the twilight of his career, but still had some game left and obviously his return to the club set in place future change which we are noticing now. Aimar had a rough start, but is having a fantastic 2nd season with us and Di Maria, acquired in 2007, has developed and become one of our most prized assets.

Again, I'm sorry if you saw any insult in my previous post since I definitely did not intend for any. I still think you posted a top notch side :thumbsup:

·
Premier Player
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I understand that; I was just basing this on contribution, which is still only my opinion. I was also in no way suggesting Di Maria over Simao. Again, if I were to base my team on how much someone contributed to our team this decade, Aimar would face competition from Rui and Di Maria. I felt that those 3 had equally contributed in comparison to one another.

Rui was in the twilight of his career, but still had some game left and obviously his return to the club set in place future change which we are noticing now. Aimar had a rough start, but is having a fantastic 2nd season with us and Di Maria, acquired in 2007, has developed and become one of our most prized assets.

Again, I'm sorry if you saw any insult in my previous post since I definitely did not intend for any. I still think you posted a top notch side :thumbsup:
No insult taken! The whole point to the thread is to discuss!

·
Administrator
25,353 Posts
Looking at the overall decade, I would go with this:

Quim

Miguel-Luisao- David Luiz -Leo

Petit

Geovanni - Rui Costa -Simao

Cardozo-Nuno Gomes

:star: :star: :star:

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Great thread, great teams, great memories! :proud:
Here's my biased selection:

GK: Quim

RB: Miguel
DC: Luisão
DC: David Luiz
LB: Leo

DM: Petit

RW: Simão
AM: Rui Costa
LM: Di Maria

FC: Saviola
SC: Cardozo

bench: Moreira, Ricardo Rocha, Katsouranis, Aimar, Miccoli, Nuno Gomes, Mantorras

Wow, hard decisions, I would've liked to have included Miccoli in the first 11, because he was pure magic, but the impact Saviola made thus far convinced me of our conejito.

the trophies of a decade:

Taça de Portugal (2004)
Campeão de Portugal (2005)
Supertaça de Portugal (2005)
Taça da Liga / Carlsberg Cup (2009)

We might have gained more silverware in previous decades, but I'm still proud of what we have! :stuckup: :proud:

honourable mention: Robert Enke and Miklos Feher ... RIP! :(

·
Vecchia Volpe
80 Posts
GK: Quim
DL: Leo
DR: Miguel
DC: Luisão
DC: Ricardo Rocha
DM: Petit
MR: Geovanni
ML: Simão
AM: Rui Costa
FC: Miccoli
FC: Nuno Gomes

And I think this goes without saying this was the worst decade ever for our club. 1 championship and a cup... miserable. I'm sorry bier, but no benfica supporter can be proud of this. luckily we're back on track.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
I'm sorry bier, but no benfica supporter can be proud of this.
By which you say that either I'm a liar or not a Benfica supporter. Take your pick, I'll feel affronted by both! :D
Seriously, what I actually meant was me being proud of those teams that gave us a glimpse of light at least in a dark period. ;)
Whatever, 2010 could be our year again. Let's all cross fingers. :cool:

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
I would like to add an honorable mention. Miklos Feher!

The guy died literally wearing the shirt. That, in and of itself deserves being on the All Decade XI!

As for SCP-87, I agree with Killa. The guy's a rodent.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts