Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one more question:

Alfredo di Stefano, join Real Madrid in 1953, but it was not until 30-01-1957 did he earn his first Spainish cap.

Why took three and a half year? Was it because...

1.)...FIFA ban for his participation of Colombian "Pirate League"?

2.)...he could't get his Spainish passport because of red-tape(impossible, he was an apple in General Franco's eyes)?

3.)... his loyality, still lay in Argentina ("He did play some matches
for Spain, but it was never the same as when he played for Argentina. That was where his patriotism...truly lay. I remember him sitting behind me in the Press Gallery at Wembley, during that notorious...[England vs Argentina match which Rattin was
sent-off]...[after Ramsey's 'not act as animals' speech]...Di Stefano that day went bellowing mad."---Champions of Europe, by Brian Glanville, p.15.)?

Thanks!

N

·
0 Posts
This is from a website about him.It´s about why he didn´t play at a WC.Fifa didn´t allow him to play for Spain in the beginning.
Fantastic player who should have played for Barça,but at the last moment Franco made him go to Real.

THE WORLD CUP MYSTERY
Although Di Stéfano had been an international for more than 15 years since 1947 and played for three countries, he never play in the World Cup. Do you know why?

WORLD CUP
A competition
Di Stéfano did not grace In 1950, when Di Stéfano was playing for Argentina, the country did not want to take part in the World Cup. In 1954, he had gone to Spain and since he played for both Argentina and Colombia before, FIFA declared him not eligible to play for Spain. Di Stéfano was not granted permission to play for Spain until 1956 and make his Spanish debut, at the age of 31, in 1957.
So he could not feature in any World Cup matches for his newly adopted country until the 1958 qualifying games. But Spain did not qualify for the 1958 World Cup. When he finally got his chance in 1962, he was injured. In 1966, Di Stéfano was already 40 years old and therefore ended up not playing a single game in the soccer's greatest competition.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Bleachers/7429/DiStefano.htm

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
All I can say is: thank you very much!

BTW, that ban was one of the dumbest decision FIFA ever made...:mad: :( :devil: :frownani: :scream: :irritate: :frustrat: :sigh: :eyepatch:

N

·
0 Posts
your welcome

dumb decisions is their speciality

Federation Incredible Foolish A$$holes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts