Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
First Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
does anyone here know more about this player ? He will do a trial spell with SV Hamburg next week. Seems to be a midfielder, but thats all i know. Is he any good ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Alexei Eremenko jr, 20, was chosen as the best midfielder in Veikkausliiga (Finnish top league) last year. He's also knocking the door of Finnish NT. In Finland he is considered as a talent and also many clubs in Europe have been showing their interest in him.

·
Registered
207 Posts
He is an attacking midfielder and one of the most talented players in the Finnish league at the moment. His biggest assets are his technique, vision and good right foot. He can be a bit lazy sometimes and he could use some more pace but he sure has potential.

Like nlz mentioned, there has been quite a lot of interest in him recently. At least Man City, Birmingham, Portsmouth, Leicester and Djurgården have been after him. There was some talk about interest from France and Italy as well. However no one was willing to pay what HJK wanted for him so he won't move abroad before the transfer window opens in the summer. His contract ends in the autumn so we could actually lose him for free :(

·
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info !
How do you rate him in comparison with Lagerblom, who made quite an impact at Bremen ? I know that they aren't playing the same position, but do you think Eremenko is already on the same level as Lagerblom ?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I haven't seen that much of Lagerblom, but Eremenko would be my pick from the two.

BTW, what's your midfield like? How hard would it be for him to break through?

·
Registered
96 Posts
"How do you rate him in comparison with Lagerblom, who made quite an impact at Bremen ? "

It's hard to put them in any order, but Eremenko have had much more publicity in Finland. You can say Lagerblom "came behind the bushes", very few people would have believed that his career will get that kind of boost so suddenly. Of course Lagerblom have also been considered as a talent player.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Rothose said:
How do you rate him in comparison with Lagerblom ... do you think Eremenko is already on the same level as Lagerblom ?
Eremenko Jr was considered as last seasons best midfielder in Finland. Also Lagerblom was praised, but not so loud. Eremenko Jr was thought to be more ready to move to a bigger league. So, after Lagerbloms good adaptation, I would be surprised if Eremenko Jr wouldn't do well in Bundesliga too.

When comparing to Lagerblom, as a offensive midfielder Eremenkos strengths have been in technique and game making. Lagerblom is playing lower (at least in Bremen) making good breaks and showing hard-working attitude. As a junior Eremenko Jr was quite a short-tempered, but his attitude has been better when having grown up.

·
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finn said:

BTW, what's your midfield like? How hard would it be for him to break through?
Hamburg lacks creativity and scoring power in the central midfield positions ( attacking and defensive mid ), the wings are well covered with a couple of good players. As playmakers, we have Cardoso ( an aging argentine player, he was great but is mostly benched this season and will end his career in the summer ) and Jarolim, a 24 year old czech who is skilled, a good dribbler and hardly ever loses a ball, but he never ever scores a goal, lacks vision and he is often holding the ball to long : he dribbles, dribbles, dribbles and if he finally tries to pass the ball, the opposite defence has organized their positioning and all our players are marked well :rolleyes: .
So if Eremenko is a talented playmaker with good vision, the ability to 'read a game' and to initiate fast plays with quick passing, he may have a chance here.
But Hamburg has a bad reputation concerning the development of young players. Numerous young talents left Hamburg in frustration in the last couple of years.

·
Registered
96 Posts
So if Eremenko is a talented playmaker with good vision, the ability to 'read a game' and to initiate fast plays with quick passing, he may have a chance here.
Eremenko could be a good choise, but i think he may need some time to break through and to get used to the new team. So maybe he isn't a sure high-speed solution, if the club needs badly a new (experienced) playmaker. We must remember that he is only 20 years old and probably his development isn't even close to its end. Obviously the trial period will tell much to the decision-makers of Hamburg, wether Eremenko is a kind of player they want and need right now or not.

·
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just watched Eremenko in a test match between Hamburg and Luebeck ( Bundesliga 2..), the match ended 3:3. The Hamburg side was composed by 4 test players including Eremenko, a few players from the amateur team and some Bundesliga players. Eremenko was the best man on the pitch, he scored a great volley and showed that he has great passing skills and vision. I really hope that we will sign him.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I Eremenko as a player of much higher class than Lagerblom. Sure, it's difficult to compare to different positions, but I can say that Litmanen is better than Harri Ylönen too...

Nice to hear Eremenko did well. I think the Bundesliga woud suit him perfectly. Really hope he signs for HSV!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts