Xtratime Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this guy has done a great job in place of Buffon. I am really happy with him. I wouldnt be surprised if some clubs are following him closely as he is a wonderful keeper.

In the beginning we did have some problems, esepcially with air balls, but i think the main reason was Bufons absence. Obviously it cant be the same communication, but time hsa shown that he has been very important throught the campaign.

I think he deserves due credit.

Thanks Manninger!

·
MVP
9,123 Posts
Very true, he's been very solid through out.

I love his enthusiasm when celebrating Juve goals :proud:

Funny the readers' comments on Goal.Com article on Buffon's return against Siena, include a few Juventini preferring him over Buffon. :undecide:

·
Registered
17,845 Posts
well, goalkeeper is probably the only position where someone who plays well consistently in place of an injured player, does not retain a place in the line up when the latter is fit again. And when that player is arguably the best in the world in that position, it just makes it that much harder to make a case for yourself.

Manninger has done well, definitely one of our best purchases this summer.

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
He did good for the 1st half of our season, indeed he's a great GK, he was good at Siena last year also, too bad he's getting the bench now for Gigi(back from injury).

·
Administrator
53,561 Posts
Has really spoilt us in a way, cant ask for a better second keeper then this. Imagine the horror if we didnt sign him and settled with Chimenti.

Will miss this:

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
We'd probably lie in 6th in the league and out of the group stages of the CL if we were stuck by Chimenti.
Ultimately, when a keeper wins and doesn't make big errors, he is a good keeper. Manninger has done his job admirably and we haven't suffered Buffon's absence, which was hard to even hope for. So - GREAT job Manninger :star: .

However, I ask you all to go back in time and find the best half season ever (statistically) by a Juve keeper. Well, I believe it was Christian Abbiati when Buffon had been injured in the Berlusconi Trophy match, and most the time (even if he as far as I can recall he had more key saves than Manninger) he had absolutely nothing to do behind the Canna-Thuram, Emerson-Vieira wall.

I really struggle to remember any single game in which Manninger saved the day for us. Can anyone help out here?
As I have posted many times, it has at times seemed as if opponents were absolutely incapable of getting their shots on goal, even if they have had glorious point blank openings. That has been as much of a key for us as Manninger's compentence in my view.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I remember a good few saves, especially close range/point blank shots, just can't remember which games they were in.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I have always thought Manninger was one of those players who are solid but not spectacular. He is a good shot stopper but doesn't really excel in area of his goalkeeping, but he hasn't got too many weaknesses either.

Abbiati is the best goalkeeper. A stronger allround shot stopper and he dominates his area well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts