Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From BBC:
Hansen issues Liverpool warning

Liverpool legend Alan Hansen has told BBC Sport his former club must find new investment immediately or risk becoming a footballing "relic".

Hansen thinks the Reds should accept tycoon Steve Morgan's money if they want to challenge the elite once again.

Talking to BBC Five Live, Hansen said: "Investment is an absolute priority and Steve is a fan, he's got the money and the clout and I think he'd be perfect."

"The last thing you want as a Liverpool fan is to be submersed in mediocrity."

The Match of The Day pundit explained: "It always used to be 'first is first and the rest is nowhere. That sort of thinking is just not there now.

"Don't get me wrong. We're certainly not a relic yet but we're nearer to it now than we were 15 years ago and that's the danger to me."

Rafael Benitez's side go into Tuesday's Carling Cup semi-final second leg at Watford with a one-goal advantage, but having lost their last three games, including an embarrassing FA Cup exit with an under-strength side at Burnley.

They are currently fifth in the Premiership, seven points of a Champions League qualifying place and a massive 24 points behind leaders Chelsea.

Benitez has acknowledged criticism of recent performances while remaining confident things will improve.

Quotes: Benitez upset at Liverpool form
Preview: Watford v Liverpool news

But Hansen believes Liverpool are light years away from competing with Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United, with massive investment the only way to make them competitive again.

He added: "They are a long way off the top three, I think it's fair to say both Benitez and Gerard Houllier have bought one or two ordinary players.

"In recent years Liverpool have always had six or seven really good players but it's not enough, they need 16 or 17 like all of the top three have.

LIVERPOOL'S RECENT FINISHES
2000: Fourth (24 points behind champions Man Utd)
2001: Third (11 points behind Man Utd)
2002: Second (Seven points behind Arsenal)
2003: Fifth (19 points behind Man Utd)
2004: Fourth (30 points behind Arsenal)

"The gulf between the top three and the rest is bigger than it ever was, I can't see Liverpool challenging this year, next year or even the year after.

"Chelsea have changed the face of English football - what they have done, and Arsenal last year, is ensure that you cannot now win the league with average sides - as we did in 1986 and 1990."

Property giant Morgan has had two bids to inject cash into the club via a share issue turned down by chairman David Moores and abandoned another offer in December, accusing Moores of using his offer "as a stopgap while they look for a better one".

But Hansen claims the club cannot afford to procrastinate as they search for investment.

"I know Morgan well, he is a massive, massive fan, and it's just about an appropriate deal for all parties," he said.

"It's important to get this deal done because the team isn't good enough and the next two or three players Liverpool buy are going to be absolutely crucial.

"If nothing happens and they lose the captain, Steven Gerrard, it's all over for them.

"It's a really serious situation. I don't know the financial detail, but because they can't get the investment whoever is looking at the club wouldn't seem to think it's a good deal at the price everybody wants.

"The need for new investors is so imperative it's untrue."

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I fear, that Moores & Parry might be taking too long to decide on an investment.

I pity them, any decision will surely be met with some kind of criticism, be it little or large. There's no way an investor would bow down to all of the requirements that Moores and Parry have set for a take-over, and when is one person who would be willing to consider those, he isn't willing to sacrifice a little of his pride.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Thank you, Alan! At least there is one person who speaks up of imminent danger of becoming a relic. Dunno if Morgan is the best investor around, but if there's nobody else around we should accept his offer. Otherwise the gap between us and Chelski will be of a size of a difference between Nunez and Robben.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
karrmadamaii said:
There's no way an investor would bow down to all of the requirements that Moores and Parry have set for a take-over
Can you tell me these requirements that Moores and Parry have set?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I'm not sure what they are Razor, but P&M seem to be procrastinating a lot like the suitors aren't really good enough.

Morgan's attitude and valuation of the club was one of the main reasons why his bid has failed, so maybe they are looking for a really solid and sound investor who really appreaciates the club (dunno how less Morgan appreaciates the club than P&M though).

The two Thais bids failed too because they demanded more than what P&M was willing to give, the main one being two seats on the board. So here maybe P&M didn't want someone from so far outside the club circle to be part of the group of ppl who run the club. The lack of emotional connection to the club, plus the manner of raising the investment fund could be the factors. Besides the fact that Thaksin is more of a bloody rich businessman that loves football than a bloody rich football fan that makes business (Pool wasn't his only choice) also made it easier for P&M to reject their bid I suppose.

As for Kraft, I'm not really well informed on that.

In short, maybe P&M is looking for a candidate that is closest to their most ideal investor - another Roman who is a lifelong Pool fan (my impression that is :shades: ).

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I think they are looking for someone that will be able to sustain the investment over a prolonged period rather than a one off cash injection. It's all very well Morgan trying to woo the fans with promises of 50 million for players, but realistically Moores has already spent major money, 14 million for Cisse, 11 million for Alonso, 6 million for Garcia, 6 million for Mori, 2 million for Josemi, 1 million for Carson. The only clubs that have spent more than us have been Manyoo and the freak of nature that is Chelsea. Not bad for a club that's supposed to be skint really is it?

I think it would be wonderful to get investment, but I favour getting the right deal rather than the rushing into a fix with the likes of Morgan who I could see being right like Ridsdale or Bates at chelsea.
I mean ffs this guy had a press conference to say he was pulling his bid out, too attention seeking for my liking.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys, maybe u know more.. what happened to the Kraft bid? and I heard that the owner of the New England Patriots was considering an offer..

From my NFL experience, this guy is good.. he's one hell of a business man, and would not be a one time shot kind of guy.. but very sensible in his spending.. in other words, not an Ibramovich..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts