484 Posts
Alan Hansen LOL
"you can't win anything with kids!"

Gray all the way!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gray has been in the game for a while and knows how to talk the part, but Hansen is in a different league.

''you can't win anything with kids''

You know why that quote is so famous? Its because it came from a class pundit like Hansen. If it came from Townsend or some other rubbish nobody would give a shit.

If you want to write him off for that one thing then Im sure you would find times where Gray has been made to look a fool over the years, Nobody is perfect.

·
Registered
52 Posts
For me, it's got to be Andy Gray along with Motty as the best commentator although he is getting a bit old and stupid now!

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Easily Hansen. He's a class apart from Gray, who's just too sort of in your face these days, actually for the last few years.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
You learn something new from Hansen's comments. Andy Gray doesn't have that same effect. I also think that Andy Gray is one of the worst if not the worst commentators around. He is a big reason behind hyping up players.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Gotta be Hansen, I in fact don't like the entire Sky commentry team/pundits.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
they are both terrible, with Hansen there is no in between, you are either utterly world class and playing fantastic pass and move football or you are utterly shambolic in defence and not putting any pressure on the ball.

Gray is a twat of the highest order, the way he tried to justify Blackburn's cynical tactics on Saturday with the pathetic excuse that it's a contact sport epitomises everything wrong with the state of the English game in the last 30 years.

i also think ex-pros make shit pundits anyway as most are so in with the managers and players still playing today that they are too scared to slag them off seeing as they probabky play golf with them all week, you get a more objective view from the better football journalists.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Alan Hansen is the best around and has been for sometime, the likes of Motson and Lawrenson are awful but surely better than Andy Gray

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jern Lizardhous said:
i also think ex-pros make shit pundits anyway as most are so in with the managers and players still playing today that they are too scared to slag them off seeing as they probabky play golf with them all week, you get a more objective view from the better football journalists.
Yeah the ex pros union thing is the most annoying thing about ex pro pundits, When it comes to journalists Gabrielle Marcotti is the best in this country but he isn't british.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Gabrielle Marcotti is excellent, i've always enjoyed listening to him on Talksport

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
I think as a commentator Mark Bright is quite promising

·
Registered
897 Posts
Rob Palmer from Sky Sports irritates the hell out of me. When he commentates on Real Madrid games he's always drooling over them, spouting the usual cliched hyperbole of 'Galacticos' etc.
The problem with ex-players as pundits is that their usually limited vocabulary means that you end up hearing the same vapid cliches every other minute. There are exceptions though, Gavin Peacock being one.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts