Xtratime Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would you describe this new russian sensation? As far as I know he is an attacking midfielder, with great passing and vision. He can also score goals and has a lot of assists. But I have never seesn him play, som if anybody could give closer description it would be nice.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Hmm, you have described him in few words quite correct, so I will not try to describe how he is playing but rather how he came to our team.

Somewhere at the beginning of 2008 there was announced that CSKA have signed 3 players from youth academy of SOK (who had their team Krylia Sovetov SOK - now Academy Togliatti - in Russian third league tier) - Vlasov, Ryzhov and Dzagoev. All three names were unknown to public but the academy itself had the renown of football school which gathered most talented young players from whole Russia and gave them the best possible coaching. That was the first year they have released the players after their course, if I'm not mistaken, and most of them have played in respective youth national teams (U17, U19).
So it was a good news for us CSKA fans, but nobody predicted that the effect of that signing will be shown in the same year.

Dzagoev didn't went to the first training camp with the first team, because he had to play at youth teams U18 tournament (Granatkin's Memorial). After that tournament, Russia's team coach Talalayev gave an interview where he stated that Dzagoev is most promising player from that team, describing him as a man with computer in head - because Alan always decides quickly and usually it's the most dangerous decision.
On the second and third training camp that year he went with the first team. In one of friendlies in Spain he managed to score straight from corner kick. The windy weather helped him a bit but it was still an event to discuss and remember. (http://www.pfc-cska.com/press.php?lg=ru&type=7&id=3797&d=&p=11 - here you can see that goal - first video)
Alan didn't play in first games of the season, having his debut as late substitute in the seventh round against Luch at 90+2'. Than, two games later, he had debut in starting squad in the game against Khimki.

It happened that I was at the match at stadium (as you can see from my profile I live far from Moscow and rarely can watch CSKA live, but I was there last year for few weeks). I have to say that when he went onto the pitch, few fans have know who is that young boy with #46. And it was a debut to remember for long - first he made a dribbling at right wing providing the ball for Krasic who scored from inside the area, than he crossed from corner on the Ignashevich head and near the end of the half played quick one-two with Vagner, come through on the keeper and put the ball in. (http://www.pfc-cska.com/press.php?lg=ru&type=7&id=4014&d=&p=9 - videos from the match).

Next match CSKA played in the Russian Cup final, Dzagoev came from sub in second half and looked well, helping the team to win the trophy. Than Russian league paused for the Euro'08 finals.

I think that the match which definitely confirmed his first team status was the greatest Russian derby against Spartak in July. CSKA lost previous game against other local rival, Dinamo, and it looked that everything can be only worse - CSKA coach have announced his resigning with the end of the season, best striker - Vagner - was fined and moved to reserves for his behaviour in the lost match - and it looked that Spartak have a great chance to stop CSKA non-loosing streak against them. In that match Dzagoev was in start squad and together with Vagner and Krasic tore Spartak apart: 3 goals by Vagner, 3 assist by Dzagoev and goal and assist by Krasic. Especially second assist was beautiful - you can watch it here). After that match Dzagoev didn't play only if he was banned.

First month he was rather an assistant than scorer but than he began to score regularly, ending with 8 league goals (13 total) and 9 or 10 league assists (haven't count total assists tbh).

After such season Guus Hiddink had to call him to NT where he debuted in second half of the match against Germany. And I have to say that only the post prevented him from scoring the late equalizer.

He is still young and knows that there are some areas of the game where he can be better. It is his left foot, which is not as good as his right, his defensive skills, as he have some def duties, especially when he plays as midfielder and not supporting striker. His physical strength and stamina have to go up, he often was exhausted in the last 20-30 minutes of the game (of course near the end of the season he developed better stamina than it was in summer).

What will be with him next season? He looks like smart kid which is not carried away by the surrounding hype. His cultural upbringing (Osetian), which includes high esteem for elders, means that he will listen to his family and his superiors.

I wish him the best. After seeing his debut live, I feel something like he is some way related to me (it's little silly but it is how I feel), which makes me happy and proud when he scores or assists.

·
Registered
44,626 Posts
Only 18 years.....

he can be the new mostovoi but at same time just another bilyaletdinov.

·
Registered
70,619 Posts
Tigran's absolutely right. Dzagoev's stamina is an issue and he rarely plays the full 90 mins. I can't remember when I saw him play the full 90, so conditioning is an issue right now.

His technique is excellent as is his vision. He's a number 10 not in the Zidane or Riquelme sense, but more in the Totti/Del Piero sense.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts