Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you Lazio fans remember Boksic? Promising centre forward that moved to Lazio after Marseille was forced to sell him. He never played that many games and had bad luck with injuries, wasnt a big goalscorer either. Was he the biggest disappointment to ever play for Lazio? Obviously, Cragnotti has done worse in recent times with the likes of De La Pena and Mendieta, but Boksic was at the club for much longer and had a bigger profile. Did injuries stop him progressing at Lazio or was he just never good enough to hold down a first XI place in the Lazio (and juventus) team ?

·
©
7,230 Posts
If I remember properly, his first stint with Lazio was great. He will be remembered as another player who couldn't achieve his best due to injuries.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
Maybe he didn't reach the level of his Marseille days, but he was definitely a good player for us. Especially in the 1997-98 season, after coming back from Juve, he was very good. After that he got badly injured, missed the World Cup and never was the same player again.

There have been many more unfilled talents at Lazio in the modern era. Mendieta, Baronio, Protti, De La Pena, Kovacevic, Castroman, Sorin...

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
I remember him well, he missed a lot of chances but his runs down the wings were great and I liked him.

·
International
6,519 Posts
Castroman ?

I think he did very well with us.

Kovacevic, Mendieta, Conceicao (after he got back from Parma) are more likely.

Boksic did fine, there were bigger failures then him. Kovacevic comes to mind on the first place...

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
Castroman was a player with enormous potential who ended up playing 36 games in three years. And that was without serious injuries...

You probably remember the derby goal and the good games he had in the first spring. After that, he did very little for us. Definitely unfilled potential.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Boksic did have some good games at lazio but was pretty dissapointing also at many a times,always reminded me of Lurch from the addams family.

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
I remember Boksic as a very accomplished forward. Not the most productive we've ever had, but certainly not an 'unfulfilled talent'. He was an important part of the team in our scudetto winning season and for that alone should have a place in our history.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
Anything interesting in it?

I remember that Boksic was quite a heavy smoker.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
what about ravanelli?
i think he also was a player who didn't really lived up to the legend he is :(
he then was sold in the summer of 2001, to derby county :rolleyes: needless to say more... afterwards to dundee in scotland, and that was about it.... when he came back to perugia he was still pretty good, i wonder if he still plays at perugia...

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Kafka said:
Yeah but he came to Lazio way past his prime...
i don't fully agree, cuz 3 years later, after spending 3 years in a crap devision (england/scotland) he came back to italy, perugia, and was still a very good player there...

i think being benched all the time at lazio, and being 'only' a substitute player, was the reason he underperformed.
remember, that in 2001 lazio (the club i used to adore, at that time) had salas, crespo,claudio lopes, simone inzaghi available for the attacking role.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
the thing about boksic was that he could never finish and wasted way too many chances. he had strength, great pace and skills...but he could never finish well. it always bugged me, especially at juve.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
Well who cares about Juve, in our forum.

D.Simeone, Ravanelli was 31 when he came to Lazio. He was brought as a substitute, he played as a substitute. And really, how many goals did he score with Perugia? If you'd followed Lazio instead of inter you'd know that Ravanelli was a spare part for us.

·
Registered
69,460 Posts
Ravanelli :howler: we were all excited when we signed him, boy were we wrong, he just didn't give a damn, all he wanted was that money Derby foolishly paid him.....

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i followed lazio a lot back then.... ;) and yes he was bought mainly as a substitute, but that doesn't change the fact that he didn't really proved his worth there.

and i dunno how much he scored last year with perugia, but it was quite a lot for a 35 year old ;)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ravanelli admitted his regret for leaving Lazio for Derby County. I remember him saying that at the time when Zaccheroni had taken over, with his 3-4-3 formation, that he would have gotten plenty of opportunities to play. Unfortunately, this wasnt the case with Zoff.

Would it be fair to compare Boksic with someone like Dwight Yorke? Strong, pacy, good on the ball - but a poor finisher ?

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
I'd say that Yorke was a much better finisher. Boksic has other assets over him, though.

To Ravanelli's relief, Zaccheroni just about never played his patented 3-4-3 in Lazio. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts