Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone comment on the type of journalist Alain Hertoghe is? I hear that Hertoghe, a Belgian who worked for the French newspaper La Croix, wrote a book La Guerre a Outrances, in which he criticises the French media's handling of the second Gulf War. Is Hertoghe like Michael Moore, who often exaggerates wildly and presents things out of context in order to make his points, or is he an objective and reliable journalist?

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
This OT but...

Tim, tell me that big avatar you have now is there by mistake!? :eek:

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. :D

I recently bought Championship Manager 03/04, and I wanted to start off managing in Serbia. I went with Zvezda, and thought I might as well go with the avatar while I'm at it... ;)

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Ah, Tim poor choice in teams, ts ts ts..:rolleyes:

:D

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Well I wouldn't compare him with Michael Moore.
Moore is all about the show, to put his point of view under the attention of the people. He makes theatrical films who hardly make any effort to be or seem objective.
I think Moore tries to bring problems under our attention by deliberatly making extreme statements.
I can understand that he opts for this dialectical approach given his background and stardom.

I hardly know Hertoghe. But I just finished reading a couple of reviews on that book ' La Guerre à Outrances: comment la presse nous a désinformés sur l' Irak'.
It seems like he 'analysed' 5 major French newspapers from 20th march till the 10th of april. He came to the conclusion that the French press gave a distorted view of the whole situation.

In the reviews it's very clear that Hertoghe is one of those reporters that goes completely out of line. He claims to be using Scientific methodes ( content analyse) to prove the point that he already had in mind: 'Our press has disinformed us on Iraq'.
His self-proclaimed scientifically underbuild book doesn't start with a hypothesis, but with a conclussion. I have no doubt he has put everything into work to make the hypothesis aka conclusion the ....conclusion.
He seems to be just another reporter who thinks he revealed a major secret, while infact he's just blinded by his own cluelessness and incapacity to put things into perspective.

Well thanks informing us about the possibility of distortion in the press during a major political conflict, you genius.

Just another sensational book about the political acuality that you'll find in the stores next to ' The truth about Bush' , ' Sharon versus Arafat ' and ' Madness, Religion and America' ........I better stop before I give some good titles away :D

Btw, one of the papers he analysed was 'La Croix', his employer. :tongue:
La Croix fired him because of this book....but as one of the reviewers put it: 'La liberté d'expression a donc encore un prix…'
How heroïc :howler:

ADRIAAN
_______

PS: That's right baby, I AM BACK!;)

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the explanation, Adriaan. I knew the French press wasn't/isn't completely objective, just like all media isn't, but I wasn't sure whether Hertoghe was trying to be sincere or was trying to use the media as an excuse to push his own views. ;)

By the way, your first post here in a year and a half? Great to have you back! :)

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Off topic for a sec...

Andrija PFC said:
Ah, Tim poor choice in teams, ts ts ts..:rolleyes:
I did get canned, if it makes you feel any better. :D ;)

Results weren't quite what the board wanted, and then I made the mistake of declaring interest in Dejan Stankovic... :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts