Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across an interesting post and wanted to see what you guys think of it:

"The Ajax Amsterdam of 1993-1996 is the last team in the world to play so called "Total Football". "Total Football" is a very flexible and when mastered very effective way of playing football, it is also very difficult to make work in practice, and that is why not many teams even dare to try it.
Ajax 93-96 mastered it splendidly and took Europe like a whirlwind, going to Santiago Bernabeu to win Real Madrid 0-4, making the legendary AC Milan side look like a serie C side at San Siro. They won the European League 1994-1995 with ease, and also looked certain to win it in 1995-96, only to lose to Juventus in the final, a result which no-one dared to predict. After that season, in the summer 1996 the team sold majority of their best players to finance their new stadium. Also the brains behind their brand of football, Louis Van Gaal, left soon after. And Ajax is still to recover.

But for 3 years they played football on a level never achieved since then. Not even by the teams like Real Madrid, Bayern Munchen Manchester United or Juventus."

Was the Ajax of 94-96 one of the best teams in the world ever?

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Not sure. But what about the AJAX team of the early 70s, where they won the European Cup three times in a row??

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Well, since I am just newbie as football fan. I don't know anything about Ajax Amsterdam in 1993-1996. I just know that they're one of four European teams which has won the UEFA Champions Cup more than three times. I agree that they're a very strong squad at that time.

But, I am not sure if they're the best club ever. As far as I know Barcelona (in the era of '93) is also very powerful team as they were trained by Johan Cruyff. Many people said that AC Milan in the beginning of '90 is a dream team which unbeatable by any clubs in the world at that time. And, just like Jun-Lei said, there're still many clubs in old times which has superb records.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
ajax95 was a great team. but i wont say they are the best team ever. there was AC Milan earlier 90 :eek:
anyway i love Ajax coz they win the CL 95 and their hero, his pic is in my avatar. :cool:

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
I haven't seen any team play as well as Ajax in Bernabeu when they won 0-2. That game they came close to perfection.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
concerning about a great team that made their opponents totally defends their goalie, you should watch the brazilian in WC1994. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts