Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice one AJ, hope you like playing on the wing though :pp

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson has called up Crystal Palace striker Andy Johnson and Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing for the first time.

The pair join up with the rest of the 24-man squad for the friendly against Holland on Wednesday at Villa Park.

Chelsea defender Glen Johnson and Newcastle's Kieron Dyer have both been recalled by Eriksson for the game.

Rio Ferdinand, Sol Campbell, Nicky Butt, Alan Smith and Darius Vassell all miss the match through injury.

Eriksson admitted he could not ignore the claims of Johnson or Downing and that a friendly against Marco van Basten's side was the perfect chance to have a look at both players.

"Andy Johnson has pace and is a goalscorer, so I've been watching him for some time for Crystal Palace and now I have the chance to take a closer look at him when he is with us this week," said Eriksson.

"That pace that he has is very important in modern international football. He has a lot of it and that is a big thing.

"He also works very hard for the team and technically he good ability with the ball at his feet.

"Stewart has been playing very well for a long time so now we'll have a look at him. I think its fair.

"He's still very young so there is much more to come from him but he has already been playing regularly in the Premier League this season and we can see that he is improving all the time.

"It's very exciting to have players like these coming through and we have this friendly game to take a look at them.

"With these two and Shaun Wright-Phillips - who isn't new to the squad but is almost new - we have some very interesting options to pick from."

The England squad to face Holland at Villa Park in Wednesday's friendly:

Goalkeepers: Robinson, James, Green.

Defenders: G Neville, A Cole, G Johnson, Carragher, Bridge, King, Terry, Upson.

Midfielders: Beckham, Lampard, Hargreaves, Jenas, J Cole, S Wright- Phillips, Gerrard, Downing, Dyer.

Strikers: Owen, Rooney, Defoe, A Johnson.

Holland squad:

Goalkeepers: Edwin van der Sar, Henk Timmer.

Defenders: Khalid Boulahrouz, Wilfried Bouma, Giovanni van Bronckhorst, Nigel de Jong, Jan Kromkamp, Joris Mathijsen, Mario Melchiot.

Midfielders: Mark van Bommel, John Heitinga, Denny Landzaat, Wesley Sneijder, Rafael van der Vaart.

Strikers: Romeo Castelen, Dirk Kuijt, Roy Makaay, Ugur Yildirim.

bbc.co.uk

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Ironic if the Ex-Bluenose Scum makes his England debut at Villa Park!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imagine the possibilities, might not show the Villa public in too good a light though :nono:

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
Johnson deserves it, for sure. He's a fantastic player. It's great to see Downing in the squad too.

What're the chances of Johnson actually playing, though?

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
I don't think the Villa crowd would boo him or anything - it's more likely that he'd make his gestures to the crowd!

·
Registered
59,140 Posts
Natalya said:
I don't think the Villa crowd would boo him or anything -
damn why not?! :(, for once I'd have seen you guys in a postive light had you done that :( I will also give you permission to boo the Spurs boys too! can't ask for better than that aye?! :thumbsup: :pp

Hup Holland btw! :fero: :strong: :D

Isaac, like Internista said, AJ will probably come in the 2nd half if he plays. But you can't say for sure since you're only allowed to make 5 substitutions too. Would have been a real certainty 12 months ago, when Sven basically subbed the whole team :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
This is great news for AJ. He certainly deserves it. Running the frontline by yourself in the Premiership is no easy task. Doing it with a team not doing so great isn't an easy task. Doing it whilst scoring 15 or so goals in your first season in the EPL certainly warrants an England place.

I think Sven will definately start with Rooney and Owen with Johnson playing the last 25 in place of Owen. If he manages to nick a goal then that would be priceless.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Well he is the top scoring English man in the EPL so it's no suprise that he got selected. He also deserves a better club. ;)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Interista said:
I think he should stay at Palace as long as possible, but if he were to move he would be great at Arsenal.

Arsenal eh!!
They got one of the all time bargains when we sold them our last England striker ;) :nervous:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It was painful, Eriksson really is a ****wit.AJ hasn't scored his goals by playing right side midfield has he :rollani: :wallbang:
To quote Hansen" the substitutions were scary!" Absolutley fecking pointless, I'd rather have seen SWP and Downing play in their club positions and AJ not get on :wallbang:

·
Registered
59,140 Posts
Jols comment about what Sven learnt about the game were priceless :dielaugh:

What a waste of a friendly looking at it from an England perspective and yeah you gotta feel sorry for AJ.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts