Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
First Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this topic was already discussed somewhere here but i wasn't able to find this thread. Anyway, Werder Bremen's Ailton announced yesterday that he will agree to the offer to play for the Qatar NT. He will get 1 Mio € as a 'signing-bonus' when he obtains the qatar citizenship and an annual salary of about 400-500k € :yuck: :yuck: .
I think we reached a new level here, Ailton is acting from mercenary motives only :rolleyes:. The Fifa should stop this, otherwise we will soon have NT's with a transfer budget trying to buy the best players from other NT's ...
BTW: Dortmund's Dede got the same offer from Qatar but he rejected it ( so far...).

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
ABSURD! :mad: :fero: :yuck: If FIFA allows this to happen, International football will be rendered meaningless!!! :devil: This is a travesty, not to mention a slap in the face of all Qatar citizens and players.

And Ailton should be ashamed of himself for accepting to participate in this.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Agree with you on that Garrincha and I think Fifa won't allow it. What's next? Sponsors in the national teams jerseys?

·
First Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
brasileiro said:
Agree with you on that Garrincha and I think Fifa won't allow it. What's next? Sponsors in the national teams jerseys?
I don't know if the Fifa actually can do anything about this...
Qatar offers Ailton to become a qatar citizen. With the qatar citizenship, he is allowed to play for Qatar, if he didn't participate in any matches of another NT before.
Things like that happened in the past, remember Rink who played for Germany, Camoranesi is playing for Italy instead of Argentina and you all know the Deco issue...
But the fact that Qatar is offering money to Ailton (and many other players, e.g. Dede of Dortmund and also Werder Bremen's french defender Ismael, both of them rejected the offers though...) is pushing this whole thing into a new, into a perverse dimension :mad: . In addition to the money thing, these players never had *any* connections or roots to Qatar due some members of their families ( unlike Rink who had a german grandmother ...).

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
That's a good point... where do we draw the line? Ailton never played in Qatar, chances are he never even stepped his foot on Qatar. Maybe that's what differentiates this case from previous suspicious "nationalizations" that happened before? Such as the african Asamoah playing for Germany, brasilians like Ruy Ramos playing for Japan and other asian countries... and the US team also has its share of "imported" players, like the frenchman David Regis. It's all around, if we pay attention: even in the past WCs, a lot of nations fielded "nationalized" players to strenghten their teams. :( Thinking about it... why IS Qatar's initiative so particularly shameful? Because they're being objective and pro-active about something that everybody has been doing for years? :wth:

Paulo Rink and Camoranesi's family lines at least traced back to the nations they embraced; I doubt the same can be said about Ailton and Asamoah. So one might argue that Ailton playing for Qatar wouldn't be the first time this happens – but that only highlights how poisonous that "trend" is.

Where should we draw the line?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
QATAR IS ON A MISSION...

SAINT-DENIS, France (AP) -- Money can buy just about anything, maybe even a medal for Qatar at the World Championships.
Two of Kenya's top distance runners have become Qataris for cash.
Stephen Cherono is now Saif Saeed Shaheen. He had been a Qatari citizen for eight days when he ran this year's fastest 3,000-meter steeplechase in Zurich, Switzerland, last Friday. Albert Chekkurui finished fifth in the 5,000 in Zurich under the Qatari name of Abdulah Amad Hassan.
"My name? I didn't choose it. They just gave it to me. Do you like it?" Shaheen said with a laugh when talking to reporters after the race.

As you can see from the above excerpt Qatar is on a mission to BUY itself into Global 'dominance' in sports...I'm not sure if they are buying Norwegians for the Giant Slalom but they are serious about other major sports...

Ailton certainly wouldn't be the first nor the last...we have too many runners in Kenya & before I finish with this thread 3 more have since been born:D :D ...

But seriously Blatter is more concerned with the Premier League cutting down it's numbers than such gross violations...sooner or later FIFA will have to enact some new regulations concerning eligibility in playing for a certain country because the ad hoc nature in which it presides over this issues is becoming a travesty...

·
Registered
188 Posts
kaiserh said:
If Tunisia,Japan,Algeria,Portugal can do it,whats wrong with Qatar then
Err, Algeria? Those who play for Algeria are of dual nationality AND are of Algerian extraction and I can't see nowt wrong with them choosing to play for their country of origin. (The same with French of Algerian descent - like Zid*ne - choosing to play for France instead of their country of origin).

You're mixing two seperate issues here.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
I dont see how this is that bad, IF ronaldo can do it professionally Ailton Can do Nationally. He is not killing anyone by this, he is doing this for himself and his Family, he would probably never play for brazil.

It's very naive to assume that mercenaries have some limits :D :D , If one supports this kind of action in the pros they know it was going to happen in the amateur level. :howler: :happy:

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
BerberPride said:
Err, Algeria? Those who play for Algeria are of dual nationality AND are of Algerian extraction and I can't see nowt wrong with them choosing to play for their country of origin. (The same with French of Algerian descent - like Zid*ne - choosing to play for France instead of their country of origin).

You're mixing two seperate issues here.
well I had a feeling there was a Brazilian in Algerian NT,guess I was wrong but there are Brazilians in other NT's,it was just an example

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
You have to differ between players with family ties to certain countries and the Ailtons...

Players like Deco and Camoranesi are absolutely nothing new, they belong to international football. Just remember the old Gauchos playing for Italy, the Irish national team, the Turkish NT players born in Germany and so on.

With Ailton its different. Its just a sign that modern footballers become nothing else than whores.
I am sure, if some guy offered him enough money, he would turn green and play for the Martian national team...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Be Realistic, Qilton could never play for Brasil, there are at leas 10 better players, at his position....
He porbably wanted to try to play in the world cup.....

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
It's weird concept.

Every year, many people try to nationaliza themselves american or to a top euro country to have a better life than in the home country. Ailton can fall in this criteria...... receive loads of money for it, like other type of immigrants do. But then again, all this sounds pretty sickning.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts