Xtratime Community banner

Agoocrap

586 views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Deniz 
#1 ·
Wow this guy is a stinker

never watch MLS before but even so if this guiy is good in the leauge wow....defending is ****ty there

he never stayed with his man
always at fault for the goals
and hell he even scored one

hopefully he wont start agaisnt mexico or the hunchback of mexico will punish u guys badly

Lav

#3 ·
Well if thers portugese ppl who are telling me that thier players artnt idiots for getting sent off

and if there are ppl who think the US deserved to go through

i would be amazed if no one came here and said
"Agoos is not crap, he provides alot......"

Lav

#7 ·
I don't think Agoos is crap. He scored an own goal. But it wasn't because he sucks. The ball was on him quickly, he got a foot on it late and it went into the net. If he had let it go through, a Portugese player was laying there to nod it in. He was in the right postition, he did the right thing, the ball went into the net.

The Korea goal was made by a precision pass on to a diagonally crossing player. Agoos was right on him but the ball was played so well he had no chance. What was he to do on that play? Run around the guy and beat him to the ball? Maybe another defender on the inside would have helped. Where was Pope?

On the goal today he had to goal covered from back post to Friedel. Brad had to cover an area 2yds by 8 feet. The ball gets through him, but Agoos sucked.

Yeah, three goals have been scored by his men, and he's got an own goal. I would say that's something to critisize him for. But they were all great goals by world class strikers, and the own goal was a mistake born of effort. Not like the mistakes by Portugal's ejected clowns. Or France's arrogant mistakes. Or Brasils' cheating.

Agoos will be playing Monday. Laurent, Ortega, Figo will be watching on tv.

Mexico the Other Dead Meat.

:howler:

#9 ·
so far he has scored an own goal
lost his marker vs south korea costing u 2 points which u in no case deserved
lost his marker against poland

usually a goal is the attacker skill with agoos there however its a gift

if u really think he contributes to the team, well maybe u are an oldplalyer who needs to hang up his boots

Lav

#10 ·

if u really think he contributes to the team, well maybe u are an oldplalyer who needs to hang up his boots

Lav

#8 ·

Lav

#12 ·
Agoos the clown of the World Cup?

What about Rivaldo? The Elizabeth Berkley of the World Cup.
Jiao Pinto? The chop of the WC.
The rest of Portugal? The utter disgrace of the WC. They should have had 2 other players sent off. Assaulting the ref after he red carded Punko er Pinto. Any player grab my head is going to get a knee in the balls and a red card to boot.

France, Portugal, Argentina? The crybabies of the WC. It's not fair we lost. We were better than them. The sun got in our eyes. The grass was wet. The ball was a whore. SHUT UP AND GO HOME.:D

#13 ·
Agoos: When loyalty goes too far

June 14, 2002

By Jamie Trecker
SportsTicker Contributing Editor

DAEJEON, SOUTH KOREA (TICKER) -- Jeff Agoos is one of the nicest guys on a team filled with nice guys. No CHIT Cherlock

The United States national team defender is a tireless worker and a genuine student of the game. He likely will make a fine coach some day.

Agoos has been in the American player pool for close to 14 years. He also sat out two World Cups (1994 and 1998) when the coaches of those teams decided he was not good enough.

Agoos' story is a classic: the gritty kid who works hard and gets turned back at every juncture, only to persevere and finally get his shot.

Fortunately, sport is a great razor. It quickly reveals pretenders and media creations for what they are and Agoos, on the worlds stage, just found himself exposed.

In 1994, Agoos was the last player cut by then-U.S. coach Bora Milutinovic. He went home and burned his training gear.

In 1998, Steve Sampson sat him down and chose David Regis, a French import, to take his place. Sampson also made Agoos room with him -- a gesture many might see as an unnecessarily cruel. Nonetheless, Sampson was the second coach to figure out that Agoos just was not good enough.

When Bruce Arena took over as the national team coach, things changed and so did Agoos.

Previously known for making at least one embarrassing gaffe per game, he settled in to become a dependable role performer. Arena had hired him as an assistant at the University of Virginia and included him on the roster of his MLS Cup-winning D.C. United team. In fact, Agoos has been on four MLS champion sides. What Arena did was give Agoos stability.

Agoos performed. He was arguably one of the most improved players in during the 2000-01 season and his presence was key to the U.S. team's qualifying effort. He gave stability and a consistency to a defense that utterly lacked it.

Then, in 2002, things began to change. The old Agoos began to show up for games. The one that passed the ball directly in front of the goal, was a step too slow, tried to cover for his mistakes and ended up making more. Soon, his teammates were seen changing their game, knowing they had to cover for him.

At this tournament, teams went right at him. Agoos was involved in all but one goal the Americans conceded in the first round, including the own goal he put in for Portugal. He fell down, did not mark his man out, lost his confidence and made more errors.

Arena stuck with him and, like his teammates, covered for him. He deflected critics who pointed out what they, and the Americans' opponents, clearly had seen. Arena said positive things about his performance and stuck with him.

Loyalty always has been Arena's strong suit. It is something that binds players to him and has made this team a good one. But loyalty can go too far and Friday, when Agoos made errors that enabled the Poles to score two goals in five minutes, the end was reached.

Agoos performed miserably at the 2002 World Cup and he probably knows it.

After Friday's loss to Poland, Agoos did not walk before the media and did not face the microphones and the jackals waiting to pounce.

There was no need.

:mute:

#14 ·
Thanks for the article, Colocolo. Of course Jamie Trecker is one of those media swine who will always go for the jugular, especially when the target is so easy.

As a fan that has been following the Nats since Caliguri scored the goal in T & T, I know our whole team is a step behind the great powers. But compared to that Italia 90 squad, these guys are world beaters. You think Goose stinks? Remember Desmond Armstrong? How about Brian Bliss?

Of course teams threw their attack at Agoos. And for the most part he did fairly well. He didn't look nearly as bad as the Portugal defender did on McBride's goal. Did you see the Cameroon defense open up like the Red Sea on Bode's goal from Klose against Germany? That whole backline smelled like weekold fish.

We are the USA. We have played with heart, dignity, and determination. I'll take Agoos any day over some of these lowlife divers and cheap shot artists.

#18 ·
This is my 5 cents worth ...

I've said from the beginning I dont care who plays, or who Arena chooses for that matter...Give me a winner and the rest is triviality I need not worry about, get an ulcer over it 'cause I dont get paid to line up the Team....
But the Loyalty thing about players who played in the eliminatories and didnt its ridiculous., and for example it buried Uruguay....
If a player sucks an egg now, but was your :star: 5 months ago....you just dont play him..... Arena doesnt get paid to be Mr Nice Guy, Buddy. Buddy... He gets paid by the US Soccer Federation to win as many games as its possible with the people that can attain the Goal..

:cap:

If Agoos is playing badly, replace him...Simple, and there is no need to bad mouth him. He's done his part...someone else has to come in now and step to the plate. Simple :cool:

#19 ·
Berhalter has not been very good so far in the match either imo.

But it seems as if he is the guy we will go with if we advance...

#21 ·
no more....

If that match did not show how much our depth is now, at Jeff's and other positions..........
Methinks Agoos' International career is over, let's get that new blood in there.
Favoritism is misplaced usually, hope this is one is over. If it was.
LOL

I believe I would have changed Jeff long before his calf tear did it for us.
Nice guy, his time is up tho.

Play the same line-up, bring Demarcus in earlier.

#22 ·
I am guessing that Beasley was tired or sth, and Arena planned on putting him in around the 50th minute, but he changed his mind with the 1-0 lead.

I really doubt that Lewis will start against the Germans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.