Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Liverpool boss faces critics

Liverpool chairman David Moores says he would consider his position if the club fail to reclaim their former glories.

Moores, the majority shareholder, was responding to criticism of the club's display at the annual general meeting.

"The buck stops here. If it gets any worse I will have to look at my own position, but I hope it does not come to that," said Moores. "This has been a sad night for me personally. People are not happy, I did not expect an easy ride."

Moores insisted at the meeting on Monday evening that he still "backed the values and objectives of the manager" Gerard Houllier, whose side are sixth in the Premiership, 20 points behind leaders Manchester United.

Houllier made a strong defence of his record.

The Frenchman said: "It has been a difficult season and we have been under intense scrutiny.

"I share your frustrations, but fourth place in the Premiership is achievable. I remain confident in my squad but patience is not a virtue - but we need time.

"All my injured players will be back in four weeks and then we will be a different proposition.

"I accept the demands of my job, I am always being reminded. But this is not about my future, it is about Liverpool's and my job is to make this club win consistently again.

"I accept some of our recruits have not delivered, those signed in 2002 have fallen short and have not shown what we bought them for and they know they are not producing.

"But the spirit is good, if we stick together we will come through together."

Moores also had to withstand a sustained verbal assault from the club's third-biggest shareholder, building magnate Steve Morgan, who does not hold a position on the board.

Morgan, a multi-millionaire, said: "The chairman has refused to talk to me.

"Money is available from me and others, but the chairman will not dilute his holding."

Moores responded by saying: "It is time to bury the hatchet, if you (Morgan) want a meeting, we will sit down and talk it over.

"This is no good for this club, we must bury the hatchet. If it means diluting my shares or even selling to another Roman Abramovich, I will have to do it."

Hmm......... seems like a lot of discontent off the field...

·
International
1,878 Posts
Moores is now putting the responsibility on his shoulders and it seemed to me that he might have put his friendship with or faith on that French Toad way above the interests of the club.

I would not be happy to see him take the responsibility when the push comes to shove, since loyalty in friendships is a rare virtue these days. However, there are things which he has to sort out with Houllier and not allow mere personal things to get in the way of his professional duties.

If he has been rejecting Houllier's resignations (as rumoured), then I will be very disappointed.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Moores is a good man but it does seem that he's putting his liking of Houllier infront of the clubs best interests.Steve Morgan is shall we say a more passionate LFC supporter.Heres what he said...

The property tycoon - an ardent Liverpool supporter - has been at loggerheads with Moores for years now and has often criticised him for the decline of the club since the death of former chairman Sir John Smith.

"The chairman has refused to talk to me," said the property tycoon.

"Money is available from me and others but the chairman will not dilute his holding."

Morgan is reputed to be worth around £300 million.(Over double what Moores is worth !)
---------------
Now Moores said he will talk to him but if he accepts Morgan's money this means that Morgan will become the Chairman because he will be putting that much money in he will get a majority stake.And as you know whoever has the majority has the option to become Chairman.And despite Morgan being the third biggest shairholder he still doesnt have a place on the board even though he wants it !?
-----------------
Property tycoon Steve Morgan - the club's third biggest shareholder - told Liverpool chiefs this evening that he was sick of seeing Manchester United shirts all over the world.

Speaking at the club's AGM this evening, the often vocal multi-millionaire, said: "Your shareholders have shown their frustration. We have spent the evening talking of catching Manchester United but 14 years ago we were ahead of them.

"We have lost a generation of supporters. Everywhere you look, here and abroad, all you see is that bloody Vodafone shirt everywhere.

"I like Gerard Houllier, this is not a personal attack, but there is frustration and a need for change."
------------------------
Now the "I like Gerard Houllier, this is not a personal attack, but there is frustration and a need for change" stands out for me.

If Morgan comes in and is the new chairman will we see wholesale changes from someone who is passionate and will it be like having a fan at the helm hellbent on restoring Glory and the Liverpool way.But if Moores goes, I would expect Houllier to go with him.

I feel really dirty saying all this because My Grandads sister worked for him as a made and whenever Moores would go out for a drink or to a restaurant he would take everyone of his staff from the groundsman to the Butlers and Maids.And she said he's a great man, He also goes to every match on the team bus and travels everywhere with the team and me saying that Morgan is passionate etc does not mean Moores isnt because he obviously does love LFC.

·
International
1,878 Posts
KOTK:

I believe in all sincerity that Moores is like everyone of us. In the cloak-and-dagger world of football boardrooms, Moores is as nice a person as Chairman goes.

Deadly Doug loved Villa as well, but look where the club is. Other good examples are Peter Risdale and Ken Bates.

But like the age-old and senseless argument about who is the more passionate fan - Morgan or Moores, there will never be an answer.

Not many of us know or can predict how Morgan will lead us if he becomes the Chairman. All I know is that Houllier has long outstayed his welcome and he should go. Before that, the board (not just the chairman) should really think about how they should put the club's interests way above their personal likes/dislikes.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
The difference is that Deadly Doug has been pulling a Scrooge over at Villa, Risdale fvcked up Leeds by overspending and Bates was a fvcking moron who cannot keep his mouth shut. Moores is neither of these. He spends rather sensibly and he never gets out of his way to embarass himself or the club. The only problem is the Houllier hoolala. It really is time for him to go...

D

·
0 Posts
I think Moores should most some of his stake in the club and allow Morgan(or preferrably, a wealthy Russian with a love for big signings) to take over as Chairman. Houllier must go, simple as. I think it's terrible that Moores feels that he should go himself. Moores has been great for the club, his biggest mistake was appointing Houllier though.

I'd like to see Moores remain on the board, whatever happens. His Liverpool through and through.

And KING OF THE KOP, as far as Morgan being worth twice as much as Moores. The Moores family are worth over £1.5billion

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Doc_Rule said:

And KING OF THE KOP, as far as Morgan being worth twice as much as Moores. The Moores family are worth over £1.5billion
Well i was readin not too long ago that Moores is worth 127m and not in the top 20 richest chairmans in England.The Wigan Chairman is worth more according to it.I was surprised because a while back i read he was infact a Billionaire.But i dont know....I seriously doubt he's worth 1.5b, why doesnt he just buy the whole bloody club and tell everyone to piss off.

D

·
0 Posts
The Moores Family is worth £1.5billion. David's personal fortune might only be £127m, but it's the family who own the club, not the individual.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I think you need to read between the lines.

When David Moores said he will have to review his own position if things do not improve, along with remakrs that Liverpool are trailing behind Man U and this is not acceptable etc etc, what Moores was saying is that Houllier is out in the summer.

4th in the League is not an achievement for Liverpool FC. Liverpool in the 70s and 80s were football. The fans, ex players and directors will not accept Houllier's pleas that 4th is good enough for Liverpool.

Two years ago Liverpool finished 2nd, last year they faded in November, this year they haven't even started.

Houllier has squandered a fortune in 5 years, the resale value of his purchases are less than 50%.

When Moores says he will review his position, he meant he will review Houllier's position.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts