Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
>>> Roberto Baggio has confirmed he is willing to play in the Olympics, but first crowned Antonio Cassano as his heir.
“I have made the decision to quit,” explained the legend after scoring his 200th Serie A goal at the weekend. “I will have to stop eventually and with these little fitness problems I think it best to do so now.”
Many pundits and colleagues have begged him to reconsider, but the Divine Ponytail assures a new generation deserves more respect.
“There are a lot of promising youngsters around right now and the one that stands out above them all is Cassano. He has quality, ability and talent. He can do really well for the Azzurri.” >>>>

This pleases me to no end. The legend pegging our Cassano to fill his shoes. We are not worthy!

:happy:

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
In deed a very honouring compliment...lets hope Cassano doesn't lose his head...:groan:

As long as Cassano continues playing as he is...there is nothing stopping him from becoming a great...:)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Baggio crowns Cassano Tuesday 16 March, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roberto Baggio has confirmed he is willing to play in the Olympics, but first crowned Antonio Cassano as his heir.

“I have made the decision to quit,” explained the legend after scoring his 200th Serie A goal at the weekend. “I will have to stop eventually and with these little fitness problems I think it best to do so now.”

Many pundits and colleagues have begged him to reconsider, but the Divine Ponytail assures a new generation deserves more respect.

“There are a lot of promising youngsters around right now and the one that stands out above them all is Cassano. He has quality, ability and talent. He can do really well for the Azzurri.”

Baggio has often been misunderstood in his career and has hardly ever featured in the Champions’ League, but it was the bad luck with injuries that proved the final straw.

“Six operations on your knee do have an effect,” explained the 37-year-old. “I am now paying the price for all that surgery. I am sorry to leave the game, especially for all the fans who have supported me over the years.”

There could yet be an international swansong for him, as Baggio could be included in the Italy squad for the Olympics in Athens.

“Of course I would love to have this unique experience,” he assured, “but I don’t think it will happen. I expect there are already some plans afoot for the side and I am not a part of them.”

The Under-21 side is allowed to bring three players above the age limit, but Coach Claudio Gentile has already hinted that he will stick with his current starlets.

Meanwhile, the former World Player of the Year has taken a look back at his 200 goals in the top flight.

“On Sunday I made a dream come true,” he said in the ‘Corriere della Sera’. “I think that is what pushed me on from my first goal on May 10 1987 at Napoli, bringing me all the way to Parma’s Stadio Tardini.”

“Dreams are what gave me that desire, spark and the angle of that shot to put my 200th football into the back of the net. It all brought back every memory in this sport – it is the great passion of my life.”

His final statement in this open letter left little doubt that a legend will hang up his boots in May.

“In a moment of great joy I must also contend with a difficult choice to quit. My entire career has been like that with joy and suffering changing places in a strange dance.”

“But I give my thanks for all those moments, both good and bad. Above all I thank everyone for making sure I never felt alone.”

channel4

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Cassano :cool:

Cassano is already a great GAGA, he is not becoming one, he is one :tongue:

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
I agree 100% cassano has an the attributes to become our next big thing,As long as his head is kept in place.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Nice words from the great man.

Ive been a bit dissapointed with Cassano ever since he came but hes matured so much this year, im really falling in love with him, his touch, dribbling, control, finishing, even his eccentricty. Hopefully he'll stay for a while longer.

FORZA CASSANO:star:

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
romafan53 said:
Nice words from the great man.

Ive been a bit dissapointed with Cassano ever since he came but hes matured so much this year, im really falling in love with him, his touch, dribbling, control, finishing, even his eccentricty. Hopefully he'll stay for a while longer.

FORZA CASSANO:star:
A while longer? Why do you expect him to leave? Totti and Cassano will not be broken up anytime soon.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Cassano is a great player though to become a world calass player,you must do it on the international stage.Lets hope he takes AS ROMA all the way in Europe and plays magicly for the Azzurri in Euro 2004.Then he can start to fill Baggio's boots in his own special way.Baggio was a mature player,he only enhanced his ability with experience.Cassano has to mature off-field also to enhance his ability as a player.Too many distractions can fail a great player.Baggio lead by example,Cassano can make that example his own.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Sensi will surely sell and your finances will be mickey mouse,I can't see either Totti or Cassano leaving Roma why would they?Unless it's absolutely certain that they have to for no fault of their own.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Use your head would ya man? The Russians are already after pulling out of a deal, apparently because of our finances. Toti and other pretenders have yet to step up when it counts, im still hopeful someone will buy us but its not written in stone and nothing can be taken for granted, especially at this precarious stage where we wont even be able to compete in europe next year according to your friend galliani. Things like this are common place in Italian footbal-lazio, Fio, Parma, we dont know the extent of our financial woes here but its certain that if we dont find a buyer players like Cassano, Totti and Samuel will probably have to be sold.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
oops was I trying to be to optimistic sorry If I was then,Listen I don't mean to sound sympathetic but I surely hope Roma finds a good buyer.I'd love to have players like Totti and Samuel but at the same time I'm not going to be greedy.
these players mean so much to roma,Why should another great club have to suffer like those before,It's heartbreaking to see.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts