Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... I'm going to Basque Country again :happy:.

Will fly from Weeze (my backgarden ;)) to Santander on Thursday (25th), then spend the night there probably. Then on Friday I'll be heading to Bilbao to buy a ticket if possible. Saturday and Sunday I hope to see some football, Monday no idea and on Tuesday I fly back in the evening.

So if anyone got some tips or whatever they're welcome. :thumbsup:

Athletic play Racing that weekend btw. :excited:

·
Lehendakari
2,025 Posts
Good news Knoert :thumbsup: hoping to do the same myself in May, for the Depor match.

Shame that you have to go via Santander but that's the problem of Bilbao being a small airport :( Good excuse for some sightseeing in Santander though :D

You going to any other games while you're over there?

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shame that you have to go via Santander but that's the problem of Bilbao being a small airport :( Good excuse for some sightseeing in Santander though :D

You going to any other games while you're over there?
Hope to see as many as possible combined with sightseeing in indeed for example Santander.

It's just 1 hour and 15 minutes by bus from Santander (airport eventually) to Bilbao so that's not a big deal.

About the matches, hope for a friday match in a lower league, Bermeo sometimes play on friday at home but no clue whether they'll do it then too, I'll just have to wait. It also depends on when Athletic will play, but probably will see some matches in the lower leagues in Bizkaia, if Athletic plays on a weird time, for example on Monday eve or Saturday, I've got an oppurtunity to visit a 'bigger' club on Sunday, but it's just waiting untill the exact schedule comes out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can go to Bermeo by bus or train (they ride quite often). But I have no idea how to get to San Juan De ... The time I went there, I had a car.

Now that I think about it. I don't know your budget, but from what I read, you are going to see a lot of football, so maybe it would be easy to rent a car. And with a car it's also easier to visit some other places in the BC (Donostiiii - people from Bilbo, don't hate me now). Public transportation isn't that good here (especially buses when you want to visit something outside Biscay)

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can go to Bermeo by buss or train (they ride quite often). But I have no idea how to get to San Juan De ... The time I went there, I had a car.

Now that I think about it. I don't know your budget, but from what I read, you are going to see a lot of football, so maybe it would be easy to rent a car. And with a car it's also easier to visit some other places in the BC (Donostiiii - people from Bilbo, don't hate me now). Public transportation isn't that good here (especially busses when you want to visit another province)
Thanks!

I've been to Basque Country before two times and back then I travelled with public travel too. The connection between Donostia and Bilbao is quite good, there are busses enough and it doesn't take too long, also there's Euskotren with various lines of course. It's a pity though busses aren't running in the late evening anymore.

My ideal friday schedule would be visiting San Juan de Gaztelugatxe and Bermeo and to see a match in Bermeo to return to Bilbao afterwards, but that's going to be hard I guess :D.

During my last trip I saw three matches on one day, first in the morning Santutxu-Gatika in Bilbao, then Real Sociedad-Gimnastic Tarragona and in the evening Athletic-Valencia (5-1! :D), one day before we went to Sestao-Bilbao Athletic.
During my first trip I saw Portugalete-Laudio and Athletic-Depor on one day, and one day before Gernika-San Ignacio with a visit to Gernika of course.
This all with public travel.

However, a car would be a lot easier, but I haven't driven for almost a year I think... :scared:

Any more tips about nice places to visit?

Something I want to do as well is take the funicular in Donostia to look down at La Concha :hopeful:.

Places I've been to so far:
- Zarautz
- Gernika
- Portugalete / Puente Colgante
- Donostia
- Sestao
- Getxo
- Bilbao
- Iruñea / Pamplona

·
Lehendakari
2,025 Posts
Have you though about going to Plentzia?

Nice seaside town from what I've heard, about 40 mins from Bilbao on the metro. Not the sunniest weather currently, and I don't think they have a football team, but might be worth considering?

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you though about going to Plentzia?

Nice seaside town from what I've heard, about 40 mins from Bilbao on the metro. Not the sunniest weather currently, and I don't think they have a football team, but might be worth considering?
Sure, that's an option too, I've seen most of Bilbao itself now so got more time to spend time in Bizkaia :), who knows I'll be heading for Plentzia.

Can't wait for the exact programme to come out :excited:.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
The Athletic-Racing will be on Monday 29th (9pm). You should definately visit Plentzia, hometown of the sexiest poster in this forum! :tongue:

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Athletic-Racing will be on Monday 29th (9pm). You should definately visit Plentzia, hometown of the sexiest poster in this forum! :tongue:
:D

Who knows, this gives me even more time during the weekend, hehe.

EDIT: Hopefully it's possible to visit Real Union - Cádiz, two clubs I like. Don't expect too much away fans though.

·
Registered
232 Posts
On a similar theme...I will also soon return to Bilbao after two years! Unfortunately the flights were too expensive to go for the Santander game, so I will be in Bilbao for the Zaragoza game (April 17/18/19?).

I arrive on Friday evening, probably too late to get to the ticket office, and fly home on the Tuesday due to the possibility of the game being on Monday night.

I hope that I will be able to get a ticket for the game because the earliest I can get to the ticket office will be Saturday morning. Is it possible to e-mail the club and ask them to keep me a ticket?

I know that Real Sociedad play at home on the same weekend, I will try to go there if the match schedule allows.

Has anyone got fixtures for Segunda B games on that weekend in the Bilbao area? I really enjoyed going to Sestao with Knoert last time when a certain Toquero was playing for Sestao!

Like Knoert I would appreciate any tips on things to do in Bilbao and EH, I would particularly like to hire a bicycle to explore the area, and find a shop where I can buy Euskaltel Euskadi kit!

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know that Real Sociedad play at home on the same weekend, I will try to go there if the match schedule allows.

Has anyone got fixtures for Segunda B games on that weekend in the Bilbao area? I really enjoyed going to Sestao with Knoert last time when a certain Toquero was playing for Sestao!
www.futbolme.com stand all the fixtures, Erreala have played several games already at home on Sunday morning at 12, that would be ideal for you!

Shouldn't be too worried about tickets, can't imagine it will be sold out on Saturday morning already...

·
Registered
232 Posts
18/04:SESTAO RIVER - ZAMORA
18/04:ATHLETIC B - RACING FERROL
18/04:BARAKALDO - COMPOSTELA

I could theoretically see all these games, depending on the kick off times.
Is it easy to get to Lezama by public transport?

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Lehendakari
2,025 Posts
Am thinking of going to Biarritz/Bayonne and Donostia as well as Bilbao when/if I go (it's not definite yet but I likely will).

Bayonne are at home on the Friday night so could go to that. FA Cup final on Saturday afternoon though, which would probably rule out going to any games that day (unless Erreala play at midday). I'm hoping there's a Irish pub in Bilbao where I could watch the Cup final. :thumbsup:

Couple of questions:

Would the last round of La Liga fixtures all be at the same time i.e. Sunday 5pm? (Logic states it should but we all know the LFP has no common sense :rollani:)

And when would Tercera Division play-offs be? League finishes week beforehand, would play-offs start the week after? Am hoping Portu make it and are at home when I'm in Bilbao. :cool:

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm hoping there's a Irish pub in Bilbao where I could watch the Cup final. :thumbsup:
There surely is one in Bilbao, at the large roundabout if I'm not mistake but forgot the exact name.

Would the last round of La Liga fixtures all be at the same time i.e. Sunday 5pm? (Logic states it should but we all know the LFP has no common sense :rollani:)

And when would Tercera Division play-offs be? League finishes week beforehand, would play-offs start the week after? Am hoping Portu make it and are at home when I'm in Bilbao. :cool:
As for both questions I'm not too sure... :neutral:

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Made some kind of overview for myself, as Athletic plays on Monday there's enough time for other matches...

Iparralde
National (France) friday 26th at 20.00h
- Aviron Bayonnais - Hyeres

Anglet play away this weekend.

Division Superieur Regional, saturday 27th 20.00h
Jeanne d'Arc Biarritz - Labrede

Also Croises Bayonne play at home on Sunday

Bizkaia - Gipuzkoa - Araba
Segunda
- Real Union - Cádiz

Segunda B
- Sestao - Lemona
- Bilbao Athletic - Alavés
- Barakaldo - Cultural Leonesa
- Eibar - Guijuelo

Tercera
- Portugalete - Elgoibar
- Amurrio - Zamudio
- Salvatierra - Baskonia
- Aretxabaleta - Cultural Durango
- Leioa - Beasain
- Retuerto - Gernika
- Amorebieta - Zalla
- Erreala B - Laudio
- Eibar B - Santurtzi
- Arenas Getxo - Lagun Onak

An option would be to travel on friday morning from Santander to Bilbao, then buy tickets for Athletic and take asap a bus to Bayonne. Then watch Aviron in the evening and do some sightseeing in Baiona. On Saturday eventually Biarritz and ideal would be a home match of Real Union to travel back to Bilbao on Sunday...

Anyway have to wait for the fixtures

·
Registered
8 Posts
There surely is one in Bilbao, at the large roundabout if I'm not mistake but forgot the exact name.
It's at Moyua and the name of the pub is The Dubliners. A week ago I went there to watch the Arsenal - Porto game and the telly was turned off

1 - 20 of 64 Posts