- Port Said Std.

1/31/2006 19:00
Ghana ? - ? Zimbabwe
- Ismailia Std.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really looking forward to this group. Especially tomorrows game between Ghana and Nigeria. Should be a cracking one.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HT: Nigeria 0 - 0 Ghana

Pretty dull game so far. Some chances for both sides but mostly for Nigeria. Martins didnt shine yet and same for Appiah. Looks like it could be the first draw of Egypt 2006 if things remain the same.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Whoo, we're on our way! :happy: Pretty dull match like Ahlawy said, but I am happy with the result nonetheless. I was dissapointed with the way the Ghanaians played to be honest. Very defensively with the lone striker. Positive from Nigeria was Oruma's contribution to be honest. I have loved him as a player for a long time, but he never gets his chance because he cannot compete against Okocha, but he has done great today.

Also, great to see Taiwo grab the winner. Really one of the pillars for the future for Nigeria. :)

·
Registered
40,564 Posts
Yeah congrats Prince. I don't think Ghana played that defensively, but Nigeria simply controlled the midfield for the biggest part of the match. I agree about Oruma, I thought he was the best player on the pitch. :thumbsup:

Still hope to see Ghana advance from this group though.

BTW How terrible are these Dutch eurosport commentators? :eek:

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Well, Ghana did their best, but I think that you are on the wrong track when you start with a 5-4-1 formation with Amoah lonely upfront. You know that there is a chance that Nigeria will eventually score and then you are trailing and it is hard to come back from that. Better you start with two strikers imo. :)

KrLe said:
BTW How terrible are these Dutch eurosport commentators? :eek:
Dutch or English? I have English commentators. ;)

·
Registered
40,564 Posts
Lucky you, I've got a clueless Dutch guy who constantly keeps on making mistakes. At one point he actually claimed Ghana had just brought on Kanu. :howler: :wallbang:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FT: Nigeria 1 - 0 Ghana
85' Taiwo

Well deserved win for the Eagles. Total domination in the second half and a couple of chances wasted. Also great strike by Taiwo to earn the three points. Ghana were very dissapointing to be honest. Was expecting much more out of them. Oruma with a birilliant match and deservdly gets the MTM man of the match award.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HT: Senegal 0 - 0 Zimbabwe

Senegal are wasting simple chances by trying to do too much with the ball. Could have easily been up 2-0 at half-time. Also a 100% right goal by Henri Camara ruled out for unknown reasons (only the linesman knows i gues..). Zimbabwe reached Senegal's goal once or twice with no real threat. Easy game for Tony Sylva so far.

By the look of it Senegal should grab the three points in the second half if they are more focused and sharp in front of goal.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
KrLe said:
Lucky you, I've got a clueless Dutch guy who constantly keeps on making mistakes. At one point he actually claimed Ghana had just brought on Kanu. :howler: :wallbang:
Bwahahaha, that's freakin' hilarious! :dielaugh:

I am so happy my TV has a button to change the language of Eurosport. :happy:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FT: Senegal 2 - 0 Zimbabwe
60' Henri Camara
81' Issa

As expected Senegal win the game. Convincing performance by the lions and a dissapointing display from the warriors. Henri Camara was outstanding scoring the first and assisting the second. Some amazing dribbling before that assist. Got the MTM man of the match award. Zimbabwe had one unbelievable chance, one on one with Sylva, the striker delayed playing the ball till Sylva was totally on the ground, then he put it well over the bar :dazed:

Zimbabwe wills truggle in my opinion and have virtually no chance of going through. Its gonna be tough and interesting between the big three in this group of death.

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
Congrats to both Nigeria and Senegal.

Both games were played at medium to low pace, but the opening matches are almost always like that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nigeria played with a diamond midfield today didn't they ? that's what I thought anyway. With Obodo on the left, Odemwingie on the right and Yusuf Atanda the holding midfielder. Oruma as the playmaker.

Anyway, Nigeria's backline didn't look too secure IMO. Also, the team has to work on creating chances as the opportunities Nigeria had today were all from shots or defensive blunders.

Martins and Agahowa barely received any support or service.

As for Senegal, they had it easy. One way traffic throughout. Henri Camara was class :star:

Funny that Senegal opened the scoring via a counter attack, when they were dominating the entire match. :D

Zimbabwe are truly doomed in this group. If they get one point it would be great for them.

Senegal vs. Ghana should be pretty interesting. :cool:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I'm looking for Ghana-Senegal and of course Nigeria- Senegal. I feel if we beat Ghana and draw at least to Nigeria we're through. Yesterday's performance was relatively good but we need to make the most of our chances against Ghana and Nigeria. MoM must have gone to Henri Camara right? Issa Bâ (fula boy) is the man :D :star: ! Give credit to Zimbabwe though for their effort throughout the match, but Bejani's missed chance lost someone their house. :tongue:

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Btw, I must say that I think that Obodo looked weak yesterday. I was expecting more from him actually, after all the positive signs I heard about him. I was not really impressed with his performance yesterday. Hopefully he'll make more of an impact in the coming games.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Obodo was restricted to the left side which isn't his natural position. Having said that, I watch Serie A regularly, and I am not too tripped by him...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Congrats to the Ghanaians. Although for my own reasons, I'd have preferred some other outcome

1 - 20 of 29 Posts