Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
58,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tournament will be held this coming summer. First time 24 teams participate. Countries like Burundi, Mauritania and Madagascar have qualified for the first time ever. The biggest absentees are Zambia (2012 Champions), Burkina Faso (2013 runners up) and Aubameyang's Gabon.

Draw will start later tonight after the ceremony. Will keep you posted.

Plan on going to a couple of games. Not Egypt games though, too crowded and I already went to the semis and final in 2006 when Egypt was involved and won the tournament.

·
Registered
58,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47910135

Draw in full

Group A: Egypt, DR Congo, Uganda, Zimbabwe

Group B: Nigeria, Guinea, Madagascar, Burundi

Group C: Senegal, Algeria, Kenya, Tanzania

Group D: Morocco, Ivory Coast, South Africa, Namibia

Group E: Tunisia, Mali, Mauritania, Angola

Group F: Cameroon, Ghana, Benin, Guinea-Bissau

No group of death - Due to the expansion.

·
Registered
58,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I reckon Morocco and Cote d'Ivoire will be the top 2 and South Africa will finish 3rd

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
African football does not have the quality to sustain a 24 team tournament.

also only 6 venues (when 8 should be minimum) with 3 of those in one city (Cairo) :facepalm:

further proof why major tournaments should not be hosted in Africa/Mid-East

·
Registered
58,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
African football does not have the quality to sustain a 24 team tournament.

also only 6 venues (when 8 should be minimum) with 3 of those in one city (Cairo) :facepalm:

further proof why major tournaments should not be hosted in Africa/Mid-East
Cairo is the biggest city with the best hotels and infrastructure.

Cairo alone can host the whole tournament tbh. But other cities like Ismailia, Suez and Alexandria are getting matches for more exposure.

Portsaid should have been one of the venues but was replaced by one of the stadiums in Cairo as Portsaid stadium is not ready. Let's not forget that the tournament was initially supposed to be held in Cameroon, Egypt knew they were hosting it recently. January, I believe.

In any case Africans don't travel in numbers to watch their teams, it's not Europe

some Estonian company is taking care of the security arrangements.

So you know who to blame. :D
Interesting. I didn't know that. El Sisi has links with Estonia?

·
Registered
58,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This starts tonight.

Egypt v Zimbabwe is the opening game of the tournament (ko @ 21:00 CET)

Should be a win for Egypt especially as Zimbabwean players had problems regarding their unpaid bonuses with the Zimbabwean FA and were threatening not to play* until yesterday. Plus Zimbabwe isn't among the strongest teams in Africa anyway.

*The usual issues in Africa.. Cameroon players also did the same thing.

·
Registered
58,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Egypt 1-0 Zimbabwe

Nice goal by Turkey-based Mahmoud Trezeguet.

Egypt could have scored 4-5 more.

Tomorrow there are 3 games:

DR Congo v Uganda
Nigeria v Burundi
Guinea v Madagascar

It will be a historic day in the ACN as there are 2 debutants in action: Burundi, led by Saido Berahino, and Madagascar.

·
Registered
58,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Uganda 2-0 Democratic Republic of Congo

Both goals headers from set pieces. I guess DRC know what they need to train on..

Uganda have improved in recent years.

·
Registered
58,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nigeria 1-0 Burundi

A goal in the last 15 minutes from substitute Ighalo (ex-Watford) decided it. Good finish after a cool back heel assist from Aina. Ighalo and Ahmed Musa were benched which I thought was strange as they are normally starters.

Burundi had their chances though to take the lead so they did alright overall despite losing.

Nigeria's finishing/shooting wasn't good aside from the goal.

·
Registered
58,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guinea 2-2 Madagascar

Guinea were the better team overall, led 1-0, but in 6 second half minutes Madagascar turned the game around, before the inexperience of Madagascar showed when they gave away a penalty.

First point in ACN finals in the history of Madagascar.

Tomorrow Morocco v Namibia, Senegal v Tanzania and Algeria v Kenya.

Anything but wins for Morocco, Senegal and Algeria would be surprising.

·
Registered
58,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As expected Morocco, Senegal and Algeria won. The latter two won convincingly, while Morocco needed an 88th minute og after they bored me.

Seems like no one else on XT cares about this :(

·
Registered
58,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:D

There are qualifiers. It's not South America where the whole continent takes part (and others)

Aubameyang's Gabon and 2012 champions Zambia failed to qualify for instance. Egypt failed to qualify in 2012, 2013 and 2015.

Today: Tunisia 1-1 Angola, I only watched the first half at work and Tunisia were average.

Mali put 4 past tournament debutants Mauritania. 3 of the goals were from fine left footed strikes. Worth YouTubing.

Cote d'Ivoire won against South Africa, missed that. Will hopefully catch a replay later.

·
Registered
58,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cameroon won 2-0, very poor defending by Guinea Bissau. The first Cameroonian goal was a free header from a corner and the second was a consequence of failing to clear. Cameroon could have scored more too. Bassogog in particular was wasteful and the Bissau goalie made a couple of good stops.

Benin drew 2-2 with Ghana and could have won the match had Mounie scored from a late header.

Motm was a player I had never heard of til today: Mickael Pote, who plays his football in the Turkish second division.

His 2 goals against Ghana were nice.

When I googled him it turns out he scored in the CL for Apoel Nicosia against Dortmund.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts