Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it with them. I mean the current Africa Cup is a fantastic tournament, one of the best I saw in the last years. Fantastic strikers and midfielders, decent defenders, but the keepers :depress: They are plain awful. The Benin guy was the comical headlight( (I mean my grandmothe rhad stopped that last freekick :D) of that trend. Still this isn't new. As long as I watch football I know very few good African keepers. As a matter of fact Songo'o and to a much lesser extend Fouhami and Boubakar Copa (Beveren/Ivory Coast) are the only ones that come to mind. The list of pathetic failures on the other hand is immense. Why is that?

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Perhaps the fact that they play more years on the streets than in other continents. With fieldplayers that's less a problem, it can even be better for offensive players since you need more skills than on the field, but with goalkeeping you miss that extra piece of training. Besides the usual fact that your worst player is always supposed to defend the goal.

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably, in a way you see the same with Southern American players. Still teh difference with African keepers is still huge.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
gOD said:
As long as I watch football I know very few good African keepers. As a matter of fact Songo'o and to a much lesser extend Fouhami and Boubakar Copa (Beveren/Ivory Coast) are the only ones that come to mind.

Fouhami? Is that the Gk that now plays in Portugal for Académica? If so...well he sucks! I hope he is enjoying his time in the CAN because he won't be starting a game for Académica for a long time!

There isn't a "tradition" in Africa of GK, unlike in South America (perhaps with the exception of Brazil :D )...and that is part of the reason that I don't picture an African team making a "serious bid" for the WC in the next years. The differance between their offensive and defensive players in still very huge in terms of quality...specially when speaking of GKs...

·
Registered
58,072 Posts
Well Tony Sylva used to be great in the last ACN in Mali and the 2002 WC, same goes for Alioum Boukar. IMO the problem is, The goalie has to play regularly inorder to get into form. You see, European clubs don't depend on African goalies that much. Why ? Because they don't want to lose their starter GK every now and then, to ACN qualifiers or WC Qualifiers, so they overlook african goalies. Any club wouldn't risk changing their goalkeeper. It differs from any other position on the pitch.

It's really simple. Goalie A Shines for his local club or his NT. Club X in Europe signs him. Goalie A loses his starting position in his club as a result of call-ups. Goalie A's from drops. Therefore goalie A Sucks. ;)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Re: Re: African keepers

Drago said:
There isn't a "tradition" in Africa of GK, unlike in South America (perhaps with the exception of Brazil :D
What "tradition" are you referring to that South America has? Higueta, Chilavert, Felix, Pumpido :rolleyes: , Goygochea ? Educate me and those that might not know as well.

Who told you Africa doesn't have a "tradition" of good goalkeepers?? Let me educate you.

Cameroun have been known to have produced quality keepers over the years Eg. Antoine Bell, Thomas Nkono, Songo and currently Kameni. Even Boukar is quality. All the aforementioned keepers were excellent on the African continent for both club and country. I know N'kono, Bell and Songo also had successful careers in Europe to had to their portfolio. Ain't that the tradition that the likes of Kameni and Boukar are following?

Before the caricature days of Benzekri Morrocco produced two fine goalkeepers of international repute, who featured prominently in World Cups and for their clubs and country. Current Atlas lions coach Badou Zaki is a goalkeeping great on the continent. So to is Khalil Azmi.

Tunisia produced the great Atouba and Chorki El Ouear wasn't bad at all (Didn't he not distinguish himself in France 98??).

Sabry, Nerrazurri4life, Raul G and my other Egyptian brothers tell us about Ekramy (the older one), Shoubeir and to a lesser extent El Sayed exploits?

Other notable keepers who have at LEAST distinguished themselves on the continent include Okalla, Rufai ( yes Peter Rufai, i.e. ignoring his France 98 fumbles, he's had much better times) (both of Nigeria), Alain Gouamene (CIV), Robert Mensah,Edward Ansah (Ghana) and not to mention the ex-Zimbabwean and ex-Liverpool keeper Bruce Grobbelaar. If this ain't tradition that exactly what are you talking about?

Back to the point gOD made. Yes, I'll agree that the level of goalkeeping on the continent has fallen, especially with reference to the atrocious goalkeeping seen in Tunisia. [
Nerrazurri4life said:
IMO the problem is, The goalie has to play regularly inorder to get into form. You see, European clubs don't depend on African goalies that much. Why ? Because they don't want to lose their starter GK every now and then, to ACN qualifiers or WC Qualifiers, so they overlook african goalies. Any club wouldn't risk changing their goalkeeper. It differs from any other position on the pitch.
I couldn't concur with you more bro!

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Also, the African kids who play on the streets don't like to be a GK. It is all about playing and only the ones who suck at playing, become goalkeeper, even when they are not good at that either. Therefore I think it does have to do with the African tradition.

Also, among the notable goalies; There used to be Alloy Agu who played for MVV in Holland and Club Liege in Belgium. He was class, a lot better than Rufai.

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Prince-O said:
There used to be Alloy Agu who played for MVV in Holland and Club Liege in Belgium. He was class, a lot better than Rufai.
Actually he was one of the most awful keepers I have ever seen. I wante dto mention him but thought nobody would know him. I remember a match of Anderlecht at Liège. We won 0-5 all 5 goals were his fault. Mistakes of the caliber we saw the Benin guy made.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
gOD said:
Actually he was one of the most awful keepers I have ever seen. I wante dto mention him but thought nobody would know him. I remember a match of Anderlecht at Liège. We won 0-5 all 5 goals were his fault. Mistakes of the caliber we saw the Benin guy made.
Hmm, in Holland at MVV he wasn't that bad if I recall correctly. In one of my books on African footballers, there was a chapter about him too, and they rated him very highly. I will look it up later today if I have the time. :)

·
Registered
548 Posts
RE: gOD and Prince - O

gOD, Alloy Agu wasn't that bad. It's kind of hard judging a goalkeeper, or for that matter any other footballer, on one game. I remember very vividly Agu was a safe pair of hands for the Super Eagles in the ACN in Senegal back 1992. I never heard of him after that tourney though.

Prince-O, I'd pick Rufai at his prime over Agu at his prime on any given day. I'm sure many Nigerians on the cybereagles forum would concur with me. ;)

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
gOD, I have found it. It is in the book 'Giganten van Africa' by Jan Antonissen and some others. I assume it is a Belgian book. It describes the story of Nigerians in Europe and also Agu's, how he was great at MVV. He moved to Club Liege because of the big money Ikpeba and Oliseh were earning there. He lost all his confidence and after a few matches he lost his place. Ikpeba stated that the team was against him because the Wallons wanted a Wallon goalkeeper. His place was taken by a GK named Lecomte. Interesting to see that Gerets was the trainer back then.

Valdano, Rufai is definitely not a bad goalkeeper either. Too bad he couldn't shine at the big tournaments though. :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts