Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one was quite difficult so yeah, I'd appreciate some help. My Ligue 1 viewing is down to highlights and match reports.

Here goes les meilleurs footballeurs africains dans Ligue 1. For GK I went with Sylva over Charles Itanje (Lens) even though I've been very impressed with the latter. I've seen him save many a penalty shot by sorta wiggling on the line; weird but effective. He just saved a PK v Lens yesterday. Shame about the goal on the rebound :cry: .Very shocked that there are no African GKs in the English top flight; those rumours about Kameni to Man Utd sorta died down pretty quick.

The defense is def hurting, and I could do with some help in that dept.

In midfield and attack there are so many options. No wonder the French are always crying every two years when the mass exodus for the Nations Cup comes around :) . Players like Seydou Keita (Lens), Modeste M'Bami (PSG), Mahamadou Diarra (Lyon), John Utaka (Lens) and Peter Odemwingie (Lille) did not even feature in the squad. I'm listening to What have you done for me lately (Janet Jackson)and so I took Nonda off the starting lineup! Granted he's coming off a long layoff so maybe the goals will start pouring.

Few players from the Maghreb countries so I know I need to definitely check that!! :nono:

This time, I'm going with a 3-1-3-3 formation with Essien playing a more defensive mid position. Kind of strange considering ME is an attacking option for Lyon.

Tony Sylva (Lille)

Lamine Diatta (Lyon)--Habib Beye (Marseille)-- Adama Coulibaly (Lens)

Bonaventure Kalou (Auxerre)--Michael Essien (Lyon)--Wilson Oruma (Sochaux)--Salomon Olembe (Marseille)

Pascal Feindouno (St Etienne)--Emmanuel Adebayor (Monaco)--Mohammed Kallon (Monaco)

reserves
Charles Itandje (Lens)
Francileudo Santos (Sochaux)
Shabani Nonda (Monaco)
Ibrahim Bakayoko (Istres)
Marouane Chamakh (Bordeaux)
Youssouf Hadji (Bastia)
Mamadou Bagayoko (Nantes)

----

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Nice team ;). What do you guyz think of Mamadou Diarra? because He seems to scoe alot and he also seems consitent. But what do you guys think??

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I'll have a go at an African XI - Serie A :)

No GK (as far as I know); same as EPL :eek:

Kpolo Zoro :proud: (Messina, Ivory Coast) at right back. A combination of Kelluway Conteh (Palermo, Sierra Leone) and John Mensah (Chievo, Ghana) in the middle with the promisimg but inexperienced Ibrahima Camara (Parma, Guinea) on the left.

The midfield is stronger with Stephan Appiah (Juve, Ghana) and Sulley Ali Muntari (Udinese, Ghana) both dynamic, solid players and the experienced journeyman Pierre Wome (Brescia, Cameroon) out wide on the left. And the underrated Chris Obodo :star: (Fiorentina, Nigeria) would run the show from behind them. :strong:

Up front there would the pace and skill of Oba Oba Martins :star: (Inter, Nigeria) who has 9 goals in Serie A this year even though he is often on the bench, and the explosive Stephen Ayodele Makinwa (Atalanta, Nigeria) who has 5 goals even though he only came to Atalanta from Genoa in Serie B in January. :star:

Anyway the defence has some weak points, but the midfield and attack would be very strong. I'd arrange the side something like this;

---------------------------??????

---Zoro-----------Conteh---------Mensah-----------Camara

---------------------------Obodo

---------Appiah-----------Muntari-----------Wome

-----------------Makinwa-----------Martins

·
Registered
845 Posts
Nice try for a list but you really have to do some research to really pick the best players.

Salomon Olembe - He played 22 games for Marseille this season and was a starter 15 times. He came off the bench 7 times. Hardly sounds like he deserves the spot.
Youssouf Hadji - Although his stats might say otherwise, i've seen him play many times and i can tell you that he does not deserve to be on that list.
Ibrahim Bakayoko - The player has featured just 12 times for Istres and has scored just 3 goals. If you really want to pick a player from Istres, it would have to be Rafik Saifi (Algerian) who has stood out for them this year.
Santos - He is not African. He is South American. Case closed!

Players you should consider:

Yacine Abdesadki (Strasbourg/Morocco) - 30 games, 6 goals
Gilles Yapi-Yapo (Nantes/Ivory Coast) - 31 games, 1 goal
Abdoulaye Meite (Marseille/Ivory Coast) - 30 games, 1 goal
Rafik Saifi (Istres/Algeria) - 30 games, 3 goals
Moussa N'Diaye (Istres/Senegal) - 29 games, 6 goals
Nabil Taider (Toulouse/Tunisia) - 30 games, 4 goals
Achile Emana (Toulouse/Cameroon) - 32 games, 3 goals
Nacer Ouadah (Ajaccio/Algeria) - 31 games, 2 goals
etc.........

·
Registered
845 Posts
Vagabondo said:
But I think he's played for Tunisia though Tony. :)
Yes he has. He is still not African. He is South American playing for an African team. I dont care what jersey he is wearing, he doesnt have African blood.

Santos African ??? :nono:

·
Registered
845 Posts
Vagabondo: You better reserve a spot for Mourad Meghni on that African team of Serie A for next year. I can assure you that he will take over. He didnt do much this year cause of his injury but next year im sure he will show his worth. FYI, he had 3 goals in 12 games this year.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
yeah, I understand what you mean about Santos, I'm not really favourable to players just turining out for any national team either. Meghni probably won't play for Algeria any time soon though, he's born in Paris and has represented France at youth level so I'm pretty sure he'll stick with them. unless of course it turns into a case like Kanoute and he can't get a game for their full NT, but like you said if he can stay injury free and does well at Bologna then France will probably cap him sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Nice list, but Diarra should definitely be on it, because he is one of the better African midfielders around at the moment if you ask me. :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
No one mentioned Agali!

·
Registered
19 Posts
How about a Premier League line up?

GK: Dammit, no one!

DF: Lauren - Joseph Yobo - Kolo Toure - Djimi Traore

MF: Geremi - Okocha - Amdy Faye

ST: El Hadji Diouf - Mido - Yakubu