Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
*the drum drum*
43,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The final of the Homeless World Cup was played in Melbourne this afternoon between Afghanistan and Russia.

The Afghans won 5-4 in a highly entertaining match and were crowned world champions.

Nothing much to say about it, just thought it was great to see the Afghans win, a bit like when Iraq won the Asian Cup.

http://www3.homelessworldcup.org/content/afghanistan-v-russia-1

P.S - the matches are played 4 v 4 including goalkeepers in a fast paced game with barely any stoppages. Even after a goal is scored, the goalkeeper just picks the ball out of the net and restarts play.

·
*the drum drum*
43,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An Afghan I know saw they were playing and he said, "homeless world cup? they should just send the regular national team" :D

They were absolutely delighted, apparently the first sporting tournament the nation has ever won. There were some great scenes, I recorded most of it I might upload it tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
no they don't, i think you're taking the homeless thing too literally.

and it was great, went to a lot of the matches, and it was great futebol, very entertaining.

congratulations to the afghans, they deserved it.

·
XT's Demi-God
8,662 Posts
How do you take the homeless thing too literally exactly? Most homeless I see are dishevelled, scruffy, carry a cup, or a sign, usually have a trolley, or something to carry around meagre possessions, some have dogs...

It's a fair question I think.

·
Registered
24,053 Posts
no they don't, i think you're taking the homeless thing too literally.
Right. I mean being homeless if a lifestyle choice. They deserve respect for that, they just want to save money for going to another country to play football.

·
Registered
24,271 Posts
I remember Sweden sending a team to some event similar (or exactly? :confused:) to this. But that team was made up of regular drunken hobos (from Gothenburg if I remember correctly). I saw a TV-show about it. They were supposed to stay off the booze in preparation for the tournament. The success was varying. A couple of players got thrown out of the team for getting drunk on the trip to the tournament.

It's a shame that these polished up well-behaved phonies have taken the place of the real hobos. :(

·
*the drum drum*
43,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm sorry the welfare of these homeless people couldn't be in an even worse state for your amusement Andy, I feel your pain.

·
JESTER OF SORTS
21,015 Posts
I hope you do.

When someone says homeless, nobody thinks of "Normal everyday guy who happens to not be renting or owning a home at the present time", they're thinking of "that haggard, staggering drunk who shouts biblical slogans while cursing"

People would pay to see that kind of homeless world cup. And these crazies would get a whole lot more money from sponsorships and royalties.

·
*the drum drum*
43,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll put up signs on the streets to put right those disrespectful pigs who don't act like circus animals yet have the gall to consider themselves homeless just because they're, well . . . less a home to live.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts