Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
59,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First round of qualifying starts this Thursday already!

2 legged affairs between:

East Timor (Brazil Z :D) - Mongolia
Cambodia - Macau
Sri Lanka - Bhutan
Taiwan - Brunei
India - Nepal
Yemen - Pakistan (game in Doha)

Wonder if Michael Chopra has been given an Indian passport in time :D

·
Registered
69,200 Posts
Well it started today, didn't know until I checked livescore :D

Brazil Z as mentioned in the opening post beat Mongolia 4:1 with Chiquito Filipe do Carmo (or Quito) scoring the first goal of 2018 World Cup qualifying.

The big surprise (I guess) is Bhutan winning away in Sri Lanka, considering Bhutan are the lowest ranked team in the world and this is their first ever WC qualifying cycle. Watch them jump like 60 spots now :D

·
Registered
59,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd like to think that Bhutan are a team of Buddhist monks. Prob not though.

Yemen currently beating Pakistan by 3 goals to one. No Zac Rahman, the ex Fulham guy in the Pakistani team.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Nearly Timor Leste's entire squad descends from or has some relation with Brazil or Portugal as the country is a former Portuguese colonization, they aren't the only ones actually. Macau is another although they have far more Chinese/HK descendants than Portuguese ones in their squad.

Here are all the scores:

Timor-Leste 4:1 Mongolia
Cambodia 3:0 Macau
India 2:0 Nepal
Sri Lanka 0:1 Bhutan
Chinese Taipei 0:1 Brunei
Yemen 3:1 Pakistan

The first three seem to already have a foot in the next round already as do Yemen, the other ties are more balanced and still tough to call. Second legs are already next Tuesday.

Here's the goal that earned Bhutan a debut WCQ win, a piece of history already on the first day on the road to Russia :excited:

CAwi7C-UWdY

·
Registered
59,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Currently -22 in Ulan Bator. (6am)

The Timorese players will freeze to death :stuckup:

That tie ain't over yet either. These Mongolian wrestlers will manhandle them :fero:

·
Registered
69,200 Posts
Mongolia - Timor-Leste 0:1 (Timor-Leste advance 5:1 on agg.)
Nepal - India 0:0 (India advance 2:0 on agg.)
Bhutan - Sri Lanka 2:1 (Bhutan advance 3:1 on agg.)
Macau - Cambodia 1:1 (Cambodia advance 4:1 on agg.)
Bruinei - Taiwan 0:2 (Taiwan advance 2:1 on agg.)
**Pakistan vs. Yemen was postponed due to safety concerns, will be played at a neutral venue in a future date

Back to back wins for Bhutan as the worlds lowest ranked team advances to the next round. Brunei were not able to take advantage of their away win and fall at home to Taiwan. The rest of the results went to play

The draw for the 2nd round of qualifying is in April, the top 34 ranked AFC teams + the 6 1st round winners will be in the draw. They will be separated into 8 groups of 5 where the group winners and the four best runners-up continue on their journey to 2018 Russia. The matches begin in June

·
Registered
59,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what happened to my wrestlers :mad:
Genghis would have them crushed

No game for Belgian born Xavier Chen. The only Taiwanese player I've ever heard of.

·
D10S
2,209 Posts
what happened to my wrestlers :mad:
Genghis would have them crushed

No game for Belgian born Xavier Chen. The only Taiwanese player I've ever heard of.
Apparently Xavier carrying a calf-injury in the second leg.
You will hear this name often though.
Chu En-Le (aka Onur Dogan), a Turkish-born Taiwanese, who had played for Dardanelspor in the Turkish 2nd Division in the past.

·
Registered
59,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ahh bit like Cristian Gonzáles for Indonesia. Play for their wife's country.

Olisadebe too.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts