Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mesopotamian
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOMINEES FOR AFC PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2006
(in alphabetical order)

1) Badr Al Mutawa (Kuwait and Al Qadsiya)
2) Essa Al Mahiyani (Saudi Arabia and Al Wehda – Saudi)
3) Fahed Attal (Palestine)
4) Hawar Mulla Mohamed (Iraq and Apollon, Cyprus)
5) Ibraguim Rabimov (Tajikistan and Regar-Tadaz)
6) Ismael Matar (UAE and Al Wahda – UAE)
7) Khalfan Ibrahim (Qatar and Al Sadd)
8) Lionel Lewis (Singapore and Home United)
9) Mohamed Al Shlhoub (Saudi Arabia and Al Hilal)
10) Younis Mahmood (Iraq and Al Gharafa)

Source

·
Mesopotamian
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
“The shortlist fully reflects the AFC’s determination to honour players who have shown a strong commitment to playing in Asia and popularising the game,” said Ms Clare Kenny Tipton, AFC Assistant General Secretary and Director of Communications and Marketing.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Source

·
Mesopotamian
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vidic15 said:
Why are there no Japanese, Korean or Chinese players.

JSP, Nakamura??
Well, I think.....
Nakamura did not play for Japan NT in the Asian Cup Qualifications

I really don’t know how the system works.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Heh. It's as if they put all players from West Asia in the AFC Player of the Year nomination, and all players from East Asia in the AFC Young Player of the Year nomination.

Weird.

·
Mesopotamian
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Top three nominees announced

Khalfan Ibrahim (Qatar) & AFC President Bin Hammam (Qatar)
Bader Al-Mutawa (Kuwait)
Mohammed Al-Shalhoub (Saudi Arabia)

source

Funny thing Khalfan Ibhraim 18 yrs
so he Shouldn’t be in this list in the 1st Place

·
Registered
9,698 Posts
its a joke! as much as Ben Hamam hates both Kuwait and Saudi Arabia, he had to put a player from Qatar, even he doesn't fit in the award standers, and 18 years old boy, who should've been in for the best young player award!!

I'd say let Kuwait and Saudia Arabia cut of with this shity AFC and join UEFA or Africa, there is no need to get more shit from them, we've had enough over the years because of AFC double standers!

can't believe it, really, I thought it would be between Bader and ALSHALHOB, and one of them will beat the other in a small margen, I mean 3-5 votes with all they've done to thier National team and Clubs!!

just unbelieble! as the American once said "Only in America" now its should be like "Only in AFC Awards" ?

·
Mesopotamian
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you want the truth... Iraq the nearest Country to Europe... Iraq should Join Europe just like Turkey and Kazakhstan

Because with this Hamam Asia will never rise up

·
Registered
9,698 Posts
its not matter near or far anymore, I think paying the right amont of money and join Europ, hell with Asia as long as Hamam there, they'll be going down hill, and they are falling a free fall, with no net to save them!

what does he want to prove to everyone one? I don't know, we already know he will keep kissing FIFA president Blater ass day in and day out to make him happy, and dreaming of himself becoming the next FIFA president! shit! :finger:

I'm just so pissed off about it really, to see what Kuwait and Saudi Faced in the past few years with this jackass being the AFC President!

·
Mesopotamian
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
- Dude we In Iraq pissed off more than You Guys,
Younis Have more achievements than Khalfan

- Helped Iraq to Qualify to the Asian Cup 2007
- shared Asian Cup Qualifications top scorers
- Helped Iraq to win the West Asian Games in December
- Helped his Club to win a Cup that his Club never dreamed of..
- he scored 20 Goals behind.. Tenirio Q- League Top Scorers with 21 Goals
- Now Younis Q-League top Scorers with 8 goals shared with Emerson
- Younis Mahmoud Scored 8 International Goals and he above Players like Shevchenko on the list?
- Younis Contract 1.4 Million per season while all players on the list earn 400? or 700?
- Younis refused 2 Offers from French clubs, one of the 2 clubs is, one of the top teams in French League, he did not mention the teams, but rumors said Lille OSC)

Younis and Khalfan in the Same League.. tell me why Khalfan won the Award and Younis didn’t?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Shunsuke Nakamura: Asia's Real Player Of The Year

It's been quite a year for Shunsuke Nakamura.

He helped Celtic reclaim the title back in April and so far this season, has been involved in nearly every goal for the team, as they have established a 15-point gap at the top of the table.

He has also been in outstanding form in the Champions League and his sublime free-kick against Man United last week fired the club in to the knockout stages for the first time since the tournament changed its format.

His boss; Gordon Strachan described him as being as being "... as good as anyone in the world right now..." and he has been on the receiving end of similarly glowing accolades from a growing number of peope for most of the season.

It is unfortunate that none of them have come from the Asian Football Confederation (AFC). According to the AFC’s selection criteria for their player of the year award announced on November 29, 18 year-old Qatari Khalfan Ibrahim is the continent’s shining light.

Not that the decision will bother Nakamura too much. Without doubt, he has been Asia's top performer in 2006; he doesn’t need a trophy to confirm that. The likes of Mehdi Mahdavikia of Iran, Korea's Park Ji-Sung and Seol Ki-Hyeon as well as Japanese star Daisuke Matsui, have all performed admirably, but none have had the spark of Shunsuke.

He is the kind of player who thrills supporters with his defence splitting passes and a wonderful dribbling ability (yet he admits that after watching a Strachan DVD, that his gaffer was 'far better').

As well as his skill, Nakamura also has a fantastic work ethic and is very brave. Despite being one of the most fouled players in the Scottish top flight, he doesn't remonstrate with the referee and is always quick to return to his feet. His biggest asset though, is his accuracy from set-pieces. Former Tottenham manager Steve Perryman once said "... he could open up a tin of beans with his left foot."

There is no denying how important that foot has been for Celtic this season. They may be well ahead in the title race, but they have hardly been battering teams. Many games have been very tight and it has been a perfectly delivered Nakamura corner or free-kick that has been the difference.

Unfortunately, the Japanese maestro was not in good condition at the World Cup in Germany. After scoring the opening goal against Australia, he failed to reproduce his club form and his country suffered as a result.

Aside from a disappointing summer, 2006 has been Nakamura's most impressive year as professional footballer, to date. If he can continue playing the way he is in 2007, then there is a great chance he will be named as the SPL's player of the year at the end of the season; and that will be an award he will prize as will Japan and the rest of Asia.

Matthew Hernon

·
Registered
44 Posts
Qatari teenager Ibrahim named Asian Player of the Year
By Ossian Shine

ABU DHABI, Nov 29 (Reuters) - Qatari teenager Khalfan Ibrahim won the Asian Football Confederation player of the year award on Wednesday.
The 18-year-old scooped the prize at the Emirates Palace hotel after a breakthrough 2006.

Ibrahim, who plays for Qatari double champions Al Sadd, featured in all Qatar's Asian Cup qualifiers as they won five of their six matches to qualify for the July 2007 tournament.

He became the youngest player to win the award. Ibrahim was up against Kuwaiti Badr Al Mutawa and Mohamed Al Shlhoub, of Saudi Arabia on the three-man shortlist.

"It is a triumph for my team mates and my club," he said, after becoming the first Qatari to win the award.

Players who ply their trade for non-Asian club teams were not in the running as nominees were chosen based on performances over the past 12 months in AFC-sanctioned events.

Australia won the team of the year in their inaugural year as an AFC nation after abandoning Oceania.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter was also honoured at the opulent ceremony with the title Diamond of Asia for services to Asian soccer.

"Diamonds are forever and my friendship for you in Asia is forever," Blatter said.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts