Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AFC Cup 2005

West Asia
Group A: Al Faisaly (Jordan), Muktijoddha (Bangladesh), East Bengal (India), Turkmenistan League winners
Group B: Al Ahed (Lebanon), Al Hussein (Jordan), India Cup winners
Group C: Brothers Union (Bangladesh), Nijmeh (Lebanon), Turkmenistan Cup winners
East Asia
Group D: Perak (Malaysia), Club Valencia (Maldives), Sun Hei (Hong Kong), Tampines Rovers (Singapore)
Group E: New Radiant (Maldives), Pahang (Malaysia), Home United (Singapore), Happy Valley (Hong Kong)

Note: Group matches will start on Wed, 9 Mar 2005. All group winners and three runners up with best records progress to quarter-finals

groups! Whose ur favorites guys?

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
I'll put my money on Middle East teams.

No offense, but there's no way second layer teams of East Asia can beat West Asia region. Because the gap between the first and second layer of East Asian teams are so big, while the gap is probably much less in West Asia. East Bengal, for example, I've seen them play and their class is probably the same with Indonesian or Thailand best team. In fact, they're the winner of South East Asian Champions Cup several years ago with Baichung Bhuttia as their star although they came as guest team.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
East Bengal is the team Name that won ASEAN Club championship beating BEC from Thailand 3-1 in finals. Baichung Bhutia scored twice in that game. I am East Bengal supporter from India and also work with them on plyaer scouting, recruitment and media!!!
Last year 2 singaporeans teams Home United and Geylang United managed to make into the semi finals of the AFC Cup only to loose in semis... so I guess there is potential in east asian teams

·
Mesopotamian
1,469 Posts
Al Faisaly (Jordan)
Al Ahed (Lebanon)
Al Hussein (Jordan)
Al Nijmeh (Lebanon)

will qualify to the next round

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
8 teams qualify for next round service

Al Faisaly
East Bengal
AL Hussein
Pahang
Home United
Tampines Rovers
Perak
Al Nejmeh

Last Year Syrian club Al Jaish won the cup defeating fellow rivals AL Wahda

·
Registered
53 Posts
Doesnt seem to be too bad of a competition, it kicked off last year and hasnt looked like going. This is great for the devopment of the game in Asia, this Mohammed Bin Hammam guy is great. I would be reluctant to say that Nejmeh will come away with it this year, i would love to be proved wrong as this would benefit Asia, meaning that there is stiffer competition, coming from a greater perspective.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah its on same lines as UEFA Cup with winner getting to play in AFC Champions league. The competition though is tough since one key thing about this tournament is lot of teams actually have no information on other teams. so they go into the tournament as sort of unknown which adds to interest.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just a basic question will the winner of the AFC cup 2005 be involved in the Inaugral AFC Champions League next year? Because they said that it is going to only involve Professional Teams next year, if so what would happen if Nejmeh were to win it, seeing that the Lebanese League is not professional?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AFC Cup kicks off today
my favs/prediction
East Bengal to beat Mukhtijoddha
Al Faisali to beat Nebitchi
Al Ahed draw Dempo
Nisa beat Brothers Union
Sun Hei beat Valencia
Perak draw Tampines 20:45
New Radiant draw Happy Valley 16:00
Home United draw Pahang

·
Mesopotamian
1,469 Posts
Group A
Al Faysali 1 — 1 Nebitchi
East Bengal 0 — 0 Muktijoddha

Group B
Al Ahed 1 — 0 Dempo

Group C
Brothers Union 1 — 1 Nisa

Group D
Sun Hei 6 — 1 Valencia
Perak 2 — 1 Tampines

Group E
New Radiant 2 — 0 Happy Valley
Home Utd 2 — 1 Pahang

·
Registered
53 Posts
rohitgoyal85 said:
yeah winner will qualify for champions league
What about the runner up? They claim they want clubs from Pro leagues, i dont seem to get this? Though i am in favour of this method.

·
Mesopotamian
1,469 Posts
rohitgoyal85 said:
mussav do you have any match details like lineup, how match went from faisali-nebitchi game??
no. sorry :(
i have Nejmeh (the Star) Squad List if you want

and for Al Faisali, i really dont wacth Jordan League. just the Lebanon League :)

·
Mesopotamian
1,469 Posts
Round 2

Group A
Nebitchi v East Bengal
Muktijoddha v Al Faysali

Group B
Al Hussein v Al Ahed

Group C
Al Nejmeh v Brothers Union

Group D
Valencia v Perak
Tampines v Sun Hei

Group E
Happy Valley v Home Utd
Pahang v New Radiant

i will support Al Nejmeh

·
Registered
53 Posts
Al Hussein v Al Ahed seems to be quite an interesting match i would really like to see the outcome, just a question how many tv stations cover the AFC cup live? Do they get TV revenue etc? and what is the overall prize money for winner and runner up?

·
Mesopotamian
1,469 Posts
Round 2 Results

Group A
Nebitchi 3 — 2 East Bengal
Muktijoddha 0 — 3 Al Faysali

Group B
Al Hussein 4 — 0 Al Ahed

Group C
Al Nejmeh 4 — 1 Brothers Union

Group D
Valencia 1 — 1 Perak
Tampines 1 — 1 Sun Hei

Group E
Happy Valley 0 — 1 Home Utd
Pahang 1 — 0 New Radiant

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think local TV stations in respective country cover AFC Cup. Yeah teams do get tv revenue. Overall prize money 100,000 usd i think..and runner up is something like 70,000 usd. No idea how much maybe more.

Dodo3 said:
Al Hussein v Al Ahed seems to be quite an interesting match i would really like to see the outcome, just a question how many tv stations cover the AFC cup live? Do they get TV revenue etc? and what is the overall prize money for winner and runner up?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts