Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both the Australian Teams in the AFC champions league are in actions 2morrow .

Melbourne Victory(Australia) V Gamba Osaka (Japan)

Wednesday 9 April, TELSTRA DOME

and also

BECAMEX BINH DUONG (Vietnam) vs ADELAIDE UNITED FC (Australia)

Wednesday 9 April ,BINH DUONG STADIUM, VIETNAM

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Friday, 4 April 2008
Adelaide United FC is confident and knows what will be required, as it prepares to face Vietnamese champions Becamex Binh Duong in Match Day 3 of the AFC Champions League 2008 on Wednesday 9 April at Binh Duong Stadium in Vietnam.

The Reds surprised Korean champions, the Pohang Steelers, in the club’s first away match of the competition with a goal after just 3 minutes and Coach Aurelio Vidmar will again be looking to force the issue from the outset against Binh Duong.

“I think over the last two games the performances have been very good. The second half against Yatai I thought we did enough to win the game so we’re pretty confident. These are going to be extremely important games,” Vidmar said.

“I think it’s a game we can win and if we can win it will put us in a pretty good position.”

Vidmar believes the main test confronting his side, will be how it mentally approaches the game against the Vietnamese champions, and that this will have a major bearing on whether The Reds can get the right result.

“I don’t think we’re over confident but there is a danger of thinking that we’re going to go there and the game is going to be done and dusted before we even get onto the park. Being inconsistent in our approach, that is the danger so it will be a real mind game for us.”

It will be three weeks between AFC champions League matches when The Reds front up against Binh Duong, and Vidmar is well aware that The Reds need to continue raising the bar.

“It’s hard to wait for three weeks to play another game. I’m sure all of the players will want to be recovering the day after a game and getting ready for a game four or five days later but that’s not the case.

In saying that, the team is in good spirits, training has been very good and they are all fired up,” Vidmar said.

Much of the focus for United leading into the game has been how The Reds will line up in attack, after front man Bruce Djite suffered a hamstring injury while on Qantas Socceroos duty. Travis Dodd looks likely to step into the centre forward role, United’s Captain throughout the 2008 AFC Champions League so far carrying an imposing record against Vietnamese teams having scored a hat trick against Dong Tam Long An in last year’s competition.

Defender Sasa Ognenovski, who turned 29 yesterday, is expected to make his United debut, replacing the suspended Robert Cornthwaite while United will also be bolstered by the return of holding midfielder Jonas Salley from suspension.

Despite Binh Duong sitting at the bottom of Group E with no points to show from the two games, it does not reflect the magnitude of the challenge lying ahead for Adelaide United. The Vietnamese champions have a lethal front line with Tran Giang, South African Philani and Robson De Lima all capable of finding the back of the net, and they will be determined to register the club’s first win of the competition.

United will also have to deal with the weather as hot and humid conditions are expected to greet The Reds in Vietnam, which is in high contrast to the conditions the team experienced in its first away trip of the AFC Champions League 2008 when it played in near freezing temperatures in Korea.

In the aftermath of the Vietnamese champion’s home loss to Pohang, Binh Duong Coach Le Thuy Hai admitted that his team struggled with the height of the Steelers, and that it was an area of vulnerability in his side. This is an area Adelaide United can look to exploit, however with Cornthwaite suspended and Djite injured, United’s potent aerial stocks have been reduced, with the likes of Ognenovski and Dodd needing to become the threat at set pieces.

With Adelaide United facing Binh Duong back to back in the next two games, the results against the Vietnamese champions will have a big say in The Reds’ aim to finish in the all important top spot.

“I said at the beginning of the competition, you lose one game and it makes it very difficult to play catch up. What we’ve done is set ourselves up for a good run in and so three points will be vital for us,” Vidmar said.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ADELAIDE UNITED FC SQUAD
1. Daniel BELTRAME (GK)
2. Richie ALAGICH
3. Milan SUSAK
4. Angelo COSTANZO
6. CASSIO
7. Lucas PANTELIS
10. Nathan BURNS
12. Matthew MULLEN
13. Travis DODD (Captain)
14. Shaun ONTONG
15. Jonas SALLEY
19. Sasa OGNENOVSKI
20. Robert BAJIC (GK)
21. Jason SPAGNUOLO
22. DIEGO
23. Dez GIRALDI
26. Fabian BARBIERO
30. Eugene GALEKOVIC (GK)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think both of Melbourne and Adelaide will pull of wins

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm not sure of Melbourne actually, when we have to resort to Danny freaking Allsopp as our main goalscorer, also considering the defeat to Chonburi where the team played awfully.

Gamba is playing lots of games so they might probably be fatigued, but Melbourne is lacking match competition so it might just evens out.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think Melbourne maybe1-0

·
Thought Criminal
14,005 Posts
Ćevapčići kid;6252642 said:
i think MVFC 3-1 in an entertaining game.
i was right about that.

3-4 to osaka.

Merrick is the worst manager ever. Why shut it down with 10 minutes to go. Why he took Celeski off for Vaselevski is beyond me. To control the game you need to attack.

Also i cant believe they wont have Caceres for next season. I did like the 3 up front with Allsop and Caceres and celeski playing either side off him with Nicky Ward in the hole.

Shithouse defending by both teams for the goals, although i do believe Victory showed better play and deserved to win.

Well there goes the CL now. I hope along with Merrick and Muscat

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well there goes the CL now. I hope along with Merrick and Muscat
Who would u like to see replace them ???

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Melbourne Victory suffered a heartbreaking loss in its AFC Champions League 2008 match against Japan’s Gamba Osaka as substitute Brazilian forward Lucas netted a late goal to secure a 4-3 win for the visitors at Telstra Dome on Wednesday evening.

Lucas headed a Michihiro Yasuda cross on 89 minutes to edge Gamba in front in a thrilling Match Day 3 contest, which saw Victory striker Danny Allsopp net a brace and defender Rodrigo Vargas score his second goal of the tournament.

Despite being without international duo Archie Thompson and Carlos Hernandez, Victory dictated proceedings early and led after four minutes as Nick Ward and Adrian Caceres combined with Allsopp for the home side’s first goal.

Gamba worked its way into the contest soon after and claimed the lead courtesy of Takahiro Futagawa, who nailed a stunning long distance shot on 32 minutes, and Brazilian striker Bare, who converted the first of five headed goals from a Yasuhito Endo corner kick.

Victory equalised prior to half time as Vargas successfully headed a Caceres free kick, and led for a second time on 66 minutes as Allsopp sent a looping header over Gamba goalkeeper Yosuke Fujigaya.

However, a Satoshi Yamaguchi header quickly balanced the ledger before Lucas sealed the result for Gamba, leaving Victory four points behind the Japanese side on the Group G ladder with three matches remaining.

With only the top team from Group G to progress to the Knockout Stage of Asia’s premier club competition, Victory Coach Ernie Merrick stressed importance on the club’s next match against Gamba in Japan.

“I think it makes things very difficult,” Merrick said.

“I think what we have to do is win over in Osaka in two weeks time and rely on them dropping points.

“It's not in our hands anymore, but it's very important we win the next one.”

Merrick praised Victory’s players for their effort but acknowledged that a lack of match fitness and the class of Gamba, which currently sits third on the J.League ladder, were factors in the dying stages of the match.

"I thought the boys played their hearts out.

“The difference is that they were really fit, battle hardened and had tremendous quality off the bench.

"With seven internationals and two very good Brazilians, they make you pay for any little errors you make.

“We matched them all over the ground and the last ten minutes we died, but I thought we played very well.

“Credit to them, they are a very good side, very well drilled, very fit and very organised," Merrick added.

Victory will now focus on its crucial away fixture against Gamba at Expo ’70 Stadium on Wednesday, 23 April, before journeying to Korea Republic to face the Chunnam Dragons at Gwangyang Football Stadium on Wednesday, 7 May.

Victory will then return to Melbourne for its final AFC Champions League 2008 Group Stage match against Thailand’s Chonburi FC at Telstra Dome on Wednesday, 21 May.

Tickets for the match against Chonburi are available from any Ticketmaster outlet, by calling 136 100 or through ticketmaster.com.au.

Melbourne Victory 3 (Danny Allsopp 4’/66’, Rodrigo Vargas 42’)
Gamba Osaka 4 (Takahiro Futagawa 32’, Bare 39’, Satoshi Yamaguchi 69’, Lucas 90’)
Wednesday, 9 April 2008
Telstra Dome, Melbourne
Referee: Subkhiddin Moho Salleh
Crowd: 23,857

Melbourne Victory: 1.Michael THEOKLITOS (gk), 2.Kevin MUSCAT (Captain), 4.Steven PACE (6.Steve PANTELIDIS 39’), 7.Matthew KEMP, 9.Danny ALLSOPP, 12.Rodrigo VARGAS, 14.Adrian CACERES (13.Kaz PATAFTA 79’), 18.Leigh BROXHAM, 21.Sebastian RYALL, 22.Nick WARD, 24.Billy CELESKI (17.Daniel VASILEVSKI 82’)

Substitutes not used: 11.Nathan ELASI, 15.Leandro LOVE, 19.Evan BERGER, 20.Mitchell LANGERAK (gk)

Gamba Osaka: 22.Yosuke FUJIGAYA (gk), 2.Sota NAKAZAWA, 4.MIZUMOTO Hiroki (9.Lucas SEVERINO 46’), 5.YAMAGUCHI Satoshi (Captain), 7.Yasuhito ENDO, 10.Takahiro FUTAGAWA (6.FUKUMOTO Yohei 90’), 13.Michihiro YASUDA, 17.Tomokazu MYOJIN, 18.Jader Volnei SPINDLER, 27.Hideo HASHIMOTO, 30.Masato YAMAZAKI (8.Shinichi TERADA 62’)

Substitutes not used: 1.MATSUYO Naoki (gk), 3.Huenes Marcelo LEMOS, 16.Hayato SASAKI, 23.Takuya TAKEI

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
FT Binh Duong [1 - 2] Adelaide United
37' [0 - 1] D. Walsh
78' [0 - 2] R. Alagich
84' [1 - 2] P.B.W.L. Kubheka

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ill tell ya what Adelaide look alright sitting on top of there group

Team
ADELAIDE UNITED FC (AUSTRALIA) 3 2 1 0 4 1 3 7
CHANGCHUN YATAI FC (CHINA PR) 3 2 1 0 3 1 2 7
POHANG STEELERS(KOR) 3 1 0 2 4 4 0 3
BINH DUONG FC (VIETNAM) 3 0 0 3 3 8 -5 0

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
was it an exciting game?
Yes but the quality of defending was filthy

Melbourne with it all to do from here on in

Team PTS
GAMBA OSAKA (Japan) 7
CHONBURI FOOTBALL CLUB (THAILAND) 4
MELBOURNE VICTORY FC (AUSTRALIA) 3
CHUNNAM DRAGONS (KOREA REP.) 3

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
good win for us.. expect a win next round vs same team at home this time.. i like our chances with 2 of the remaining 3 fixtures being played at home :D

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ma boli tebe Kurac za Adelaide odo ti za Bosnu

1 - 20 of 38 Posts