Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Portugal coach fired after World Cup flop

June 25, 2002

LISBON, Portugal (AP) -- Antonio Oliveira will be replaced as coach of Portugal's national team after the country's dismal performance in the World Cup, the head of the Portuguese Soccer Federation announced Tuesday. ADVERTISEMENT

``The federation's decision is that he cannot continue'' in the job, federation chief Gilberto Madail said.

Oliveira was out of the country Tuesday but Madail said the federation sent him a fax proposing an amicable agreement to end his contract, which expires in 2004.

Portugal, which entered the World Cup ranked No. 5 in the world, failed to advance past the first round after losses to South Korea and the United States.

Oliveira, 50, took over two years ago and guided Portugal through its undefeated World Cup qualifying campaign.

In a previous stint as national coach, between 1994-96, he led the side to the quarterfinals of Euro 96.

He has recorded the most wins for a Portuguese national coach (26) and the most games (43).

Good, now vai por caralho, sacana Oliveira
:mad: :fero:

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Hope the door smacked ye silly on the way out, ye bastard!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Finally...

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
YES!YES!YES!YES!YES! HELL YES! WHAT NOW MUTHA ****A!!!!! This is close to the feeling I was saving up if Portugal won the World Cup, but Oliveira being fired is a dream come true. Now the FPF better not **** up like they did with Artur Jorge, Coelho(not talking new contract to him), Oliveira(enough said).

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Finaly!!!:mad:

It was about time those guys would do something decent.
Other coach would have the decency to walk out, but not our beloved Oliveirinha:yuck:

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Id at least have a back up coach before firing the normal coach...

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Who's it going to be?

Robson, Hiddink, Quieroz, Artur Jorge, Mourinho, Pacheco, or maybe......Eusebio.......?

Let the speculation begin....

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I think the players really want Quieroz. But its up to the FPF, I just want them to make a good decision. Oliveira looked to be a good coach during qualification but he began really slacking off days before the World Cup and during the World Cup. I think he took the World Cup as a free vacation for him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts