Xtratime Community banner

Who will advance from Group C?

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Nerazzurri4life said:
Like it or not, he IS our most prominent name.

His absence won't cost us much though, after all he only scored once in the previous tournament yet that didn't prevent us from winning it.
Yes, but the main factor that led you to win the title last time is not on your side this time. You're not playing home.

·
FM of the Year 2007
10,611 Posts
Nerazzurri4life said:
In Europe, yes, indeed. But in Egypt I guess it's still Ahmed Hassan, no ? Read this in an interview with Hassan this week in a Belgian paper :)

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
Filipe Reis said:
Yes, but the main factor that led you to win the title last time is not on your side this time. You're not playing home.
Thank you, Captain obvious :D But how is that relevant to the issue at hand, which is Mido's value to the side? We can survive without Mido, be it in Egypt or abroad because we have 3-4 decent forwards. Doesn't change the fact that he's still our biggest star. Everyone who follows football worldwide knows Mido, but not everyone knows Abo Treka, Ahmed Hassan, Zidan etc..

TomRSCA said:
In Europe, yes, indeed. But in Egypt I guess it's still Ahmed Hassan, no ? Read this in an interview with Hassan this week in a Belgian paper
Ahmed Hassan is well respected but the most popular of Egyptian players surely is Abo Treka. He's worshipped over here. And what exactly did Hassan say in that interview?

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Nerazzurri4life said:
Thank you, Captain obvious :D But how is that relevant to the issue at hand, which is Mido's value to the side?
Yes, it is relevant because you were the one to claim that it was not Mido's presence or absence that determined your victory in the last ACN.

·
FM of the Year 2007
10,611 Posts
Nerazzurri4life said:
Ahmed Hassan is well respected but the most popular of Egyptian players surely is Abo Treka. He's worshipped over here. And what exactly did Hassan say in that interview?
Nothing special really. That he'll try to win the CAN again for his country, that he still feels he made the right choice to stay in Belgium, etc ...

Apart from that the journalist made some kind of portrait of Hassan in Egypt. Talked to different people to ask what they think of Hassan, etc. And a small part about his kids playing for Wadi Degla.

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
Filipe Reis said:
Yes, it is relevant because you were the one to claim that it was not Mido's presence or absence that determined your victory in the last ACN.
So? I still stick to that opinion. Mido did NOT make a difference in that tournament. Yet other players were much more decisive back then, such as El Hadary, Goma'a, Zaki, Abo Treka, Barakat etc..

Make no mistake, the fans were THE most important factor, that's unquestionable. But why should I be mentioning the crowds when I'm comparing players' contributions? :googly:

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
TomRSCA said:
In Europe, yes, indeed. But in Egypt I guess it's still Ahmed Hassan, no ? Read this in an interview with Hassan this week in a Belgian paper :)

no its abo treka followed by hosny abd rabo

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
prominent name in europe maybe coz he plays there , but he even isnnt the most in Egypt

even he's far from being the best player in egypt

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Nerazzurri4life said:
Make no mistake, the fans were THE most important factor, that's unquestionable. But why should I be mentioning the crowds when I'm comparing players' contributions? :googly:
I was not exactly talking about the fans when I mentioned the importance of playing home.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Eto'o-inspired Cameroon revel in West Africa

Challenging for a record-equalling fifth African Nations Cup title in west Africa will fill Samuel Eto'o-inspired Cameroon with confidence.

The 'Indomitable Lions' have won the trophy three times in the region, a record no country can match with Ghana (twice), Nigeria, Ivory Coast and Egypt the others to succeed there.

After several decades of underachievement, Cameroon first served notice of their intention to become a dominant African force by defeating Nigeria 3-1 in the 1984 final in Ivory Coast.

Morocco was the setting for their next Nations Cup success four years later with Nigeria again the runners-up and when the countries clashed once more in the 2000 decider in Lagos the odds were against Cameroon.

But after surrendering a 2-0 advantage in the electric atmosphere of the Surulere Stadium, Cameroon prevailed in a penalty shootout marred by a refereeing blunder that tilted the balance toward the visitors.

To defeat the Super Eagles in Nigeria ranks among the most difficult tasks for an African national team and the result confirmed Cameroon as an African football powerhouse.

After cruising into the following final by winning five consecutive matches without conceding a goal, Cameroon were taken to the wire by a new force on the continent, El-Hadji Diouf-led Senegal.

There were no goals after 120 hyper-cautious minutes in Mali and once again the steel-edged nerves of the 'Indomitable Lions' prevailed in a shootout where half the 10 spot kicks did not produce goals.

While main 2008 title rivals Ghana, Ivory Coast and Nigeria face difficult first round assignments, Cameroon have been blessed by a favourable Group C draw that pits them against Egypt, Sudan and Zambia.

Egypt may be the holders but few give them any chance of a sixth title, Sudan lack experience after a 32-year absence and unpredictable Zambia rely too heavily on too few stars.

Although Cameroon are only second seeds behind Egypt, it would be a surprise if they failed to top the table, and a favourable quarter-final tie looms while Ghana, Ivory Coast, Mali and Nigeria are in the opposite half of the draw.

However, last-eight exits in the last two editions will remind Barcelona star Eto'o and company that the 'Lions' who roared to Ghana from a group including Equatorial Guinea, Rwanda and Liberia are not always indomitable.

source: AFP

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
Ha, I didn't realize that Cameroon managed to get the better of Nigeria in three finals. That's a lot. As for the 2000 refereeing blunder the article speaks of, the incident was Victor Ikpeba's spot kick which crossed the line yet the ref/linesman failed to spot it.

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
Filipe Reis said:
I was not exactly talking about the fans when I mentioned the importance of playing home.
What are you on about?! The fans play a massive part. Are you seriously marginalizing the role played by 70,000 people screaming their lungs out? May be because Portugal choked twice at home, but generally speaking it's an undeniable advantage. In Asia, in Africa, in South America - anywhere. Unless you believe that players are robots strictly programmed to perform and aren't affected by exterior factors..

FYI Cairo Stadium is a pressure cooker, for both opposition and referees. But it evens out when we go to West Africa and get robbed. :D

Though I can see where you're coming from. ;) But the only game where a decision went in our favor was the Senegal game as the referee should've awarded them a penalty (I saw it first hand from the stands), besides that the refs didn't grant us anything which influenced the outcome of any match in the tournament.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Nerazzurri4life said:
What are you on about?! The fans play a massive part. Are you seriously marginalizing the role played by 70,000 people screaming their lungs out? May be because Portugal choked twice at home, but generally speaking it's an undeniable advantage. In Asia, in Africa, in South America - anywhere. Unless you believe that players are robots strictly programmed to perform and aren't affected by exterior factors..
Portugal choked twice against Greece at home because the Greeks played tactically better than we did and that happened independently from the great crowd support we had inside and outside the stadium.

Football history is full of those cases and big crowds do not win tournaments.

Nerazzurri4life said:
FYI Cairo Stadium is a pressure cooker, for both opposition and referees. But it evens out when we go to West Africa and get robbed. :D

Though I can see where you're coming from. ;) But the only game where a decision went in our favor was the Senegal game as the referee should've awarded them a penalty (I saw it first hand from the stands), besides that the refs didn't grant us anything which influenced the outcome of any match in the tournament.
It's good that you can see where I'm coming from. Senegal outplayed you and they should have had that penalty awarded. Maybe they would have missed it but that's history now.

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
Umm..Senegal most definitely did not outplay us. Sorry but you're wrong. We hit a crossbar and wasted several chances especially in the second half.

21 - 40 of 129 Posts